A pressure sore :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pressure sore :(

See below, goofed up photo formatting first time.
    Last edited by zillazangel; 27 Apr 2011, 2:47 AM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

So this sore just appeared last night, it came totally out of the blue. I had rolled him over about 6 hours before THIS appeared and the skin was absolutely fine then.

The thumb in the photo is mine, there for reference of size. Its directly on/across on his myocutaneal flap surgery scar (11 years ago). The pen marking around it is so I can tell if the redness increases.

I just don't know how this happened, nothing unusual lately, it just happens I guess. :-(

It's in a spot such that to take all pressure off, I have to roll him over VERY far on his right side, which is extremely extremely painful for extended periods of time. True to his nature, he doesn't complain at all, he knows it has to have all pressure off. But I still feel really badly for him.

Please send healing energy!! And I'll post updates.

ETA: I finally figured out how to resize!! Now to delete my duplicate post.....
    Last edited by zillazangel; 27 Apr 2011, 2:48 AM.

Comment

Does it blanch at all if you hold pressure on it for 3 or 4 seconds? If it spreads, and/or is warm to the touch, it may be cellulitis, and you need to get keflex or something akin quickly.
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Hard to say with blanching, but I don't think so - at least not alot. But it is warm to the touch and that worries me. At the first sign of the redness creeping out I'll take him to the ER. I've had my eyes on it every hour (Chad has started saying "IT HASN'T CHANGED!" before I even look at it, he's sick of me peeking under the sheets under hour (or more) lol).

This happened once about 6 years ago- nothing then 4 hours later a horrible looking sore. And it went south fast - had to go to ER and ended up on vancomycin for sepsis! So I'm highly paranoid. I'm watching his temp too.

ETA: temp still normal, redness at same levels. The skin does blanch to the touch exept in the very middle where it is very dusky/dark (the part I'm most worried about). I think that he had to have had that skin fold over the scar, causing a pressure sore. That's the only explanation I can come up with at the moment. He has gotten very thin in recent years, so he has zippo butt fat at all, and these are the consequences we're seeing now I think. For the past year or more I've been trying to stuff him full of as many calories as I can!!
        Last edited by zillazangel; 27 Apr 2011, 2:59 AM.

Comment

To me, that looks like something that needs to be seen right away. Ugh, I am so sorry this has happened!
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Oh no. ): My heart just sinks seeing the thread title Ami. Please keep us posted.

Comment

Bonnette, I'm not sure who I'd take him to. He can't even get out of his chair onto a table at our regular doctor office, plus while they are great for general stuff, they are clueless on pressure sores (and will readily admit it, it's not a knock against them). So even if he could get onto a table, there's not much point. But I will not hesitate to take him to the ER if it starts looking worse, bursts, or if his fever spikes. It has been essentially unchanged for about 24 hours now.

*worry worry worry*

Comment

I know, primary care docs can be just clueless about what to do (or even what they're looking at), and that's IF the patient can get onto the table...ER docs and nurses seem much more on top of things. It is really awful to be on the horns of this kind of dilemma, I empathize and am glad to hear that there has been no change for the past 24 hours.

Edited to add: It looks almost like a burn...is it possible that he has been sitting on or near a computer cord, or something like that?
                MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I'm really sorry to read this Ami.

I have no advice, but will be keeping my fingers crossed for you both.

Comment

Hi,

The picture is not good on my computer. It looks like reddened patch without skin open. Are you sure he didnt lay on something? I would keep monitoring as you are-checking temp, check for warmth, size and any change. Keep all pressure off, though I know it will be difficult. Marking the size with a pen is a great idea. You are doing all the right things. For any change, I would take him toe he ED. Keep us posted.

AAD
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Sending positive thoughts!
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Sorry to see that happening , this might be a stupid question but have you looked for a wound care clinic ?
                        Some times a good hospital will have a seperate clinic for treating wounds especially check with a diabetic Dr office because they deal with sores that can be similar because diabetics have the lower circulation and they usually know where a good wound care clinic would be.. I am lucky and found a great wound care clinic associated with the hospital..
                        I hope it gets better soon..I am spending time on my stomach as well with one from a bad hospital stay.( different hospital than my ussual )
                        Gary
                        T-10 ,,1980,,

Comment

I hate those things. This looks more red than anything so hopefully it will go away as quick as it came. We have a wonderful wound clinic here locally. Dr. is one of the best around. Luckily in 6 years I have only had to deal with the wounds on Davids foot from the spasticity so bad it turned his foot inward and downward. Ended up having to pin it to prevent the sores, cause nothing we would do would stop them. Fingers are crossed for you both.

Comment

The improved photo should show now that the skin has not burst through at all, but its started to get that papery thin, rolling kind of appearance from being swollen for a day, now that the swelling is lessened by being off of it. Through the miracle of my by necessity creativity in tying up his body using pillows, blankets, slippers, our incline bed, and lots of posy ropes to cinch it all together, he is currently alot more comfortable but yet with 100% weight off of it (which I also obsessively check every 30 mins). I think I have a future as the guy that ties Houdini up.

THank you guys for posting, even those without advice. It really helps when I'm freaking out to see familiar faces making suggestions and wishing us well. Thank you thank you. Pass the valium! FOR ME! Because it's 3 freakin' am here ....
                            Last edited by zillazangel; 27 Apr 2011, 8:21 AM.

Comment

Sorry for your troubles. Damn!

Comment

Working...
                              X