Cracking between toes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking between toes

Does anyone else get that cracking between your toes. My skin is quite moist and I put a moisturizer on my feet every two nights which works fine. But why or how do i get that bad cracking between my toes? Wife started putting Polysporin and seems to be healing ok but still too soon to know how well it works.
    Any thoughts? Things that worked for you? Why?

Thanks,

Mooner

I would be careful about putting lotion between your toes. It is not an area you want damp. If it is rubbed in well it should be OK, but moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria. There is a cream marketed to Diabetics called Diabticderm, which is pretty good for keeping skin on feet from drying up and cracking, but even it mentions not to put it between toes unless totally absorbed.

Comment

try baby oil, very cheap
      We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

I use Vaseline on any cracks in my toes. It seems to work well for me. I think I get cracks when I dry my feet too roughly.

Comment

When I have had cracks between the toes, my doctor has recommended an antifungal cream. There are several over the counter brands. He has suggested Clotrimazole 1% or in cases where he has written a prescription, Ketoconazole 2%. Your shoes can harbor fungus because of moisture. It is best to wear cotton socks to absorb moisture and let your shoes dry out between wearings (don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row if your feet are extremely sweaty). It is a good idea to wash your feet frequently and dry them carefully. I find a hair dryer turned to a cool temperature setting helps to dry all the little nooks and wrinkles thoroughly.

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

I had this happen to me many years ago. Now when i get out of the shower i put baby oil on my feet. This hasn't been an issue since.

Comment

Could be athletes foot. Try one of the ointments or powders for a-f to treat it.
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Nearly always this is due to a fungal infection like athlete's foot, which is only made worse by keeping the skin moist. Apply an antifungal cream, well rubbed in, twice daily after washing the area gently with soap and water, and get some air to your skin. You can twine small pieces of lamb's wool around/between the toes overnight to get more air to this area (don't wear under shoes). Be sure socks are laundered after wearing, use a sock that wicks away moisture, and be sure shoes are aired out well and dry before putting them on (ideally, alternate pairs every other day).

Once the area has cleared up, you may want to routinely use a very LIGHT dusting of antifungal powder on your feet routinely prior to donning shoes and socks.

If it is really severe, or recurrent, discuss the pros/cons of oral antifungal medications with your provider.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I tried the Microcyn Hydro-Gel, and it seems to work about as well as Clotrimazole.
                  Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                  T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

I never had fungal problems before my accident. Hmm that is strange as my feet are never wet (except shower!), i change my socks everyday as everyone should!
                    My feet do not sweat ever as i have not much circulation down there, my feet swell up everyday when i am in the chair thanks to Lyrica. i will try that anti fugal creme and see what happens.

Thank you,

Mooner

Comment

How interesting! I've had issues in between my toes for a couple of years. It seems to alternate between slightly annoying (but not too noticeable) to being painful. Having more pressing medical issues, I always seemed to forget to mention the problem when I was at the dr's office. I just chalked it up to dry skin and I would put lotion on it if I remembered.

Earlier this week, it started to get painful again and I brought it up with my home health nurse when she came to change my SP tube. She said it looked like athlete's foot to her, and recommended that I try some anti-fungal cream, spray, or powder. So I find it interesting that quite a few of us seem to have this issue. My feet are never wet (other than sweaty) except for showering. The nurse also told me to be sure to REALLY dry in between my toes after showering.

Is there any advantage to using powder versus spray versus cream/lotion to treat this?

Comment

Originally posted by retto76 View Post
                        How interesting! I've had issues in between my toes for a couple of years. It seems to alternate between slightly annoying (but not too noticeable) to being painful. Having more pressing medical issues, I always seemed to forget to mention the problem when I was at the dr's office. I just chalked it up to dry skin and I would put lotion on it if I remembered.

Earlier this week, it started to get painful again and I brought it up with my home health nurse when she came to change my SP tube. She said it looked like athlete's foot to her, and recommended that I try some anti-fungal cream, spray, or powder. So I find it interesting that quite a few of us seem to have this issue. My feet are never wet (other than sweaty) except for showering. The nurse also told me to be sure to REALLY dry in between my toes after showering.

Is there any advantage to using powder versus spray versus cream/lotion to treat this?
                        Here is a comprehensive article about Athlete's Foot http://www.medicinenet.com/athletes_foot/article.htm

Within the article there is a reference to using powder to disinfect your shoes on a regular basis. Personally, I find powders a bit messy to deal with and wouldn't want to apply powder to my feet daily. With the sprays, you need to make sure that they have dried completely before putting on socks and shoes. With the creams, you have to thoroughly massage them into the affected areas. I think Donno's suggestion about trying Vetericyn (also Puracyn or Microcyn), is a great idea, again making sure that the areas get thoroughly dry. (For those who are not familiar with these products, many of us use them as bladder instillations to prevent urinary tract infections).

I don't think your feet have to be excessively sweaty to contribute to the causes of these fungus growths. When you take off your shoes and socks, think about how your feet feel. They usually feel warm and the skin is softened (from moisture trapped in shoes for a number of hours). Add the fact that your shoes provide a dark, unventilated environment for hours and you have the perfect breeding ground for fungus for people who are susceptible to fungal infections.

All the best,
                        GJ

Comment

I have the same problem, but just recently! ITS SO FRUSTRATING!! it's on my right foot and just in between my last two toes! Grrrrr!!!
                          Never had the problem till SCI..how could I have athletes foot if I don't even walk on my dang feet!!
                          God is good

Comment

The fungus responsible for athlete's foot is all around us. It does not just live on the floors of gyms (or the feet of athletes). It takes the opportunity to grown given just the right conditions. All types of fungal infections are also more common in those with diabetes, which is why it is important to be sure you do not have diabetes if you are having recurrent fungal infections.

(KLD)
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              The fungus responsible for athlete's foot is all around us. It does not just live on the floors of gyms (or the feet of athletes). It takes the opportunity to grown given just the right conditions. All types of fungal infections are also more common in those with diabetes, which is why it is important to be sure you do not have diabetes if you are having recurrent fungal infections.

(KLD)
                              If I'm having it just recently and it comes on and off, could I have diabetes?
                              God is good

Comment

Working...
                              X