Bloating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloating

Ok I am C4-5 injury and I am very thin but looks like I have a pot belly. Is it from to much sodium in my diet? I take a stool softener Docusate Sodium 300mg at nights and do eat food with sodium so should I decrease the sodium?

No, it is not diet, and it is not "bloating" (gas). It is also unlikely to be fat unless you have put on a lot of weight since your injury.

This is commonly referred to as "quad belly". It occurs often in those who have paralysis of their abdominal muscles. The weight of your abdominal organs, esp. in a seated position, gradually can stretch out the abdominal wall. Prevention is best, with the use of an abdominal binder whenever out of bed to support the abdominal wall and prevent the overstetching. An abdominal binder will not fix this once it has occurred, but can be used to control it a bit so you look nicer if that is a concern.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Can stimming your abs or muscle return reduce the quad gut in incomp injuries or is the ab wall permanently stretched out? What I'm wondering is, even w/ toned abs is the wall made of skin etc that can't be shrunk down again.
      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks SCI nurse for the info.

Comment

bumping my question...
          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Charmed..I have the same problem..but it really changes dramatically based on "gas" or swelling..since it is harder for us to get gas out--ie. not walking, exercising, (though swimming will help!! ) or no muscle tone to hold it in..I just found I need to use a "crutch" mine is gas x..every meal..and no dairy or wheat. for me as I am sensitive..just that change made big diff.

and far as stimming I read one of the guys said it doesnt get to the deeper muscles and therefore didn't help really??
            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
              Can stimming your abs or muscle return reduce the quad gut in incomp injuries or is the ab wall permanently stretched out? What I'm wondering is, even w/ toned abs is the wall made of skin etc that can't be shrunk down again.
              Some people here have tried this (check out posts on the Exercise & Recovery forum), with mixed results. Keep in mind that you are unlikely to get E-stim to work if you have a lower motor neuron injury for your abdominal muscles (T7-T12). It may help if your injury is higher, but of course it is critical that both electrode placement and settings on the e-stim unit are proper to both produce the muscle contractions needed and avoid burns or stimulation of the internal organs.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

This stuff is what scares me to ever have kids......Won't the skin be stretched out from the baby that afterwards you would still look preggo??
                Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                  This stuff is what scares me to ever have kids......Won't the skin be stretched out from the baby that afterwards you would still look preggo??
                  Yes, that is a risk for women with abdominal muscle paralysis having children. If you have a lot of abdominal muscle spasticity though, this may actually help tighten things up a bit after delivery.

(KLD)

Comment

no gurly..I mean yes you will look bigger-but if you keep weight same.you shuld be still hot! -but if you wear a binder-(not during pregnancy lol)-it really helps to keep it from getting too streched out..I had two and eventually I had the diastatis repaired--Ie the muscles which had pulled part by the pregnancy--and time ) pulled back together..) but I do believe a binder is key for us..cant let that thing get out of control
                    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Diastasis repaired...is that like a tummy tuck? I often wondered about the whole pregnancy thing & what my stomach would look like after.

Comment

well no worries..I had a really sexy stomach for a long time..even after 2 births..(I should add it looked best laying flat lol!--as I have no muscle tone..) no stretch marks.but I only gained very little was like 101 and went to 125..but mine are now 20 and 17..so time being in chair with no stomach muscles..was what finally made it were I wasnt happy..

yes..but a diastatis repair with no "excess" fat or skin removal..as I had none to pinch to remove..just the normal tightening that comes when stomach in put back into somewhat normal position!
                        Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 10 Apr 2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Ahhh...interesting Well I don't think my stomach is sexy now & I really don't think it would be after a baby, lol. I'm already disgusted with it!!! I would consider having something like that when I was done having kids too......but I would want fat & skin removed! (Cuz I have it lol)

Comment

Ahhh...interesting Well I don't think my stomach is sexy now & I really don't think it would be after a baby, lol. I'm already disgusted with it!!! I would consider having something like that when I was done having kids too......but I would want fat & skin removed! (Cuz I have it lol)
                            well it is the same operation-so why not! -but if you have skin removed it is considered plastic surgery and you would have to pay that portion of the surgery.) But I am sure you could make a deal ..those guys need work right!

Comment

I remember seeing pics of you and you don't even look sci! Your body looks fine. Have you tried a stim unit on your stomach?

Comment

Working...
                              X