Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowel program - manual evacuation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bowel program - manual evacuation

    I have been reading the threads lately and in the past about bowel programs, and I always wonder why other people don't do it the way Chad has for years. We roll him on his left side, insert a lubridated, gloved finger and pull out any stool. I check him morning and night, and he usually has something up there about every other day approximately (although that can vary widely based on diet and such). It takes literally less than a minute, there is no sweating and AD associated with suppositories. If he starts being sensitive to the glove, giving him discomfort, I first rub a little lidocaine around the anal opening to numb it up a bit. We had a friend who did the suppository thing, sat with it in all night and cleaned up the mess in the morning. I switched him over to Chad's method and he was immeasurably more comfortable. This method isn't perfect, but it works 99% of the time great. He occasionally will get backed up and I have to use an enema, but that is rare. He takes stool softener every day, other than that, nothing for bowels.

    Any thoughts on why no one else seems to do this? Chad's been having this done for 23 years with no issues, and it was taught to him in rehab (albeit a long long time ago!). It just seems like a much better way to evacuate bowels.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

    #2
    I have Peristeen, it does me fine :-)

    Comment


      #3
      i do digital stim between 1 - 3 times a day depending on how my bowels are reacting and if i exercise then i have to go more frequently but usually it's once a day in the evening when i get home from school (about 6pm tho sometimes i feel ready at 4pm) takes 5min and then i am good for the next 24hrs. that's how i was taught in rehab and i dont use suppositories and am not on a daily stool softener. i do a miralax cleanse every 6months and that's it. rarely constipated and only get diarrhea around my period. and that's my routine for 26yrs now

      i guess most ppl arent fans of sticking their finger (or someone else sticking their finger) up their butt lol
      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
      http://www.elportavoz.com/

      Comment


        #4
        thats all i do also, i very rarely have to use an enemeez, but every now and again i have to give it a jump start......a whole lot easier for me to go when i need to no matter what day it is, and i use miralax for my stool softener, it doesnt have the side affects as colace.....just have to get the amount just right so u're not to loose nor to hard.....once u find the right amount it does great......no upset stomach or immune to the affects of the colace, i got to where i was taking alot of colace to keep me soft.....

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
          I have been reading the threads lately and in the past about bowel programs, and I always wonder why other people don't do it the way Chad has for years. We roll him on his left side, insert a lubridated, gloved finger and pull out any stool. I check him morning and night, and he usually has something up there about every other day approximately (although that can vary widely based on diet and such). It takes literally less than a minute, there is no sweating and AD associated with suppositories. If he starts being sensitive to the glove, giving him discomfort, I first rub a little lidocaine around the anal opening to numb it up a bit. We had a friend who did the suppository thing, sat with it in all night and cleaned up the mess in the morning. I switched him over to Chad's method and he was immeasurably more comfortable. This method isn't perfect, but it works 99% of the time great. He occasionally will get backed up and I have to use an enema, but that is rare. He takes stool softener every day, other than that, nothing for bowels.

          Any thoughts on why no one else seems to do this? Chad's been having this done for 23 years with no issues, and it was taught to him in rehab (albeit a long long time ago!). It just seems like a much better way to evacuate bowels.
          Twenty eight years ago, my wife and I had similar instruction to what you and Chad had and we have been doing the same routine since that time. I too lay on my left side on a disposable underpad. With a gloved finger, NL removes any stool, then inserts the Magic Bullet suppository. I roll on to my back and wait a few minutes. NL transfers me on to the commode chair. After stool is evacuated, she checks for the presence of more stool and does a digital stimulation. We wait a few minutes, in which time, more stool is evacuated. Before, we are finished, NL checks that all stool and any mucus has been removed, cleans with hot soapy water and rinses and dries the area. Then she transfers me back into bed for the night. We do this routine every other night. It takes no longer than 40 minutes, and usually less. I do experience a little autonomia from the bisacodyl in the suppository and the peritalsis that it stimulates.

          All the best,
          GJ

          Comment


            #6
            In rehab they did it in bed until he was able to sit on the commode chair. I was taught to do it that way.
            We put the MB in while showering and then wait a bit. It usually takes several dig throughout to keep things moving.

            Comment


              #7
              That's one part of the way we did it for years, every evening in bed.
              This was our program: Start with an Enemeez, wait 10-15 minutes. If nothing appeared, then dig stim. Repeat dig stim every 10 minutes or so. When nothing's coming on its own, then digital removal; wait 10 minutes, then do it again; etc. until empty.
              The whole program would take from 45 minutes to 2 hours. But we would read to each other, which made part of it a pleasant time (except when I was on the receiving end, but that was tolerable).
              - Richard

              p.s.: we tried dulcolax & MB; seemed to be too strong, as we'd have a mess later on.

              Comment


                #8
                p.s.: we tried dulcolax & MB; seemed to be too strong, as we'd have a mess later on.[/QUOTE]

                Sort of the same here, except enemeez was not effective as MB.
                We watch TV.
                Now most BP days we have an aide. It used to be every other day, but now M W F working best.
                My challenge is that my husband outweighs me by over 100 pounds. I am not strong and trying to not aggravate my scoliosis.
                Last edited by LindaT; 6 Mar 2011, 2:09 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  My question is why stimulate and wait multiple times? If nothing is there when I first check, then that's it and I try again the next evening/morning. Anyway, it does sound like other people do it our way too, which seems so much more pleasant than the alternatives.
                  Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We found that unless we got her emptied out, we'd have an invol on our hands in a few hours.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ahhhh gotcha. He never has accidents (well, just twice since I've been around, and both times were because he had some stomach bug).
                      Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
                        We found that unless we got her emptied out, we'd have an invol on our hands in a few hours.
                        That is what we have experienced as well. All that said...all of us are different, because of diet, amounts of liquid we drink, metabolism, activity, and just the way we are. In this game....one size does not fit all.

                        All the best,
                        GJ

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I use Peristeen too, it works fantastic for me and gives me a lot of freedom to do my bowelprogram at the time i like.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by nomos View Post
                            I use Peristeen too, it works fantastic for me and gives me a lot of freedom to do my bowelprogram at the time i like.
                            Yes, many of us are waiting patiently for Peristeen to be approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the United States, and then to see how Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance will reimburse it or how much it is going to cost purchased outright. Even though some on this forum have bought them to import to the U.S. for about $200.00, I think the primary cost of the equipment will be higher as will the cost of the consumables (bags and catheters) when Peristeen is available here.

                            All the best,
                            GJ

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
                              I have been reading the threads lately and in the past about bowel programs, and I always wonder why other people don't do it the way Chad has for years. We roll him on his left side, insert a lubridated, gloved finger and pull out any stool. I check him morning and night, and he usually has something up there about every other day approximately (although that can vary widely based on diet and such). It takes literally less than a minute, there is no sweating and AD associated with suppositories. If he starts being sensitive to the glove, giving him discomfort, I first rub a little lidocaine around the anal opening to numb it up a bit. We had a friend who did the suppository thing, sat with it in all night and cleaned up the mess in the morning. I switched him over to Chad's method and he was immeasurably more comfortable. This method isn't perfect, but it works 99% of the time great. He occasionally will get backed up and I have to use an enema, but that is rare. He takes stool softener every day, other than that, nothing for bowels.

                              Any thoughts on why no one else seems to do this? Chad's been having this done for 23 years with no issues, and it was taught to him in rehab (albeit a long long time ago!). It just seems like a much better way to evacuate bowels.
                              it's always great to hear others way of doing it
                              We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                              Ronald Reagan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X