Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is stenosis, atrophy, bone spurs and fusing of vertebrae's prevalent in older SCI's?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is stenosis, atrophy, bone spurs and fusing of vertebrae's prevalent in older SCI's?

    I'm s/p 34 years c7-c8. Taken very good care of myself. But the spine is a mess. I was told the worst case scenario. That I can't be in another auto accident or a bad fall. That my neck is weak and "could" break. It was grim report but nothing I can do but be careful. I knew my lower back has been hurting and was aware it was a mess.

    I work out, eat and live right. Very disappointing but kind of new. I'm still going to live my life, but back off more on working out heavy, and careful with transfers and driving.

    Plus filed for divorce after 16 years. Just more tests in my journey in this life.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

    #2
    Sorry you got bad news like that Freebird. It sounds like you do everything possible to keep healthy.
    Also sorry to hear about your divorce.

    Comment


      #3
      There is not a lot of research on us old timers. I am a 73 (56 years pi) C-7 and my only back issue is scoliosis in the L-S area brought on by the removal of my hip joint a few years ago. Unfortunately, I think of lot of the issues you describe come from the genes.
      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

      See my personal webpage @
      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

      Comment


        #4
        It is what it is

        Just going to live to the best of my abilities. I'm doing fine just back pain which is part of the deal. Still 90% independent God willing. Just stay positive and no auto accidents.

        Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
        There is not a lot of research on us old timers. I am a 73 (56 years pi) C-7 and my only back issue is scoliosis in the L-S area brought on by the removal of my hip joint a few years ago. Unfortunately, I think of lot of the issues you describe come from the genes.
        Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

        Comment


          #5
          All the decades of wheelchair seating, especially for those of us who did sling seats for years, causes poor posture, and often muscle weakness contributes as well. I am 44 years post injury. When I was evaluated a couple of years ago for the first time in years the therapist said I had "old quad" posture, with kyphosis (rounding of shoulders) that came about from poor wheelchair seating. My MRI results also showed arthritic changes in my already weak neck area and I was told largely the same thing you were. My pain levels in the last ten years have escalated greatly too. My only advice is to do careful transfers, avoid transfers that aren't necessary (picnic blankets and such) and preserve your body from as many overuse syndromes as you can. Sorry you are having troubles.

          Comment


            #6
            Eileen

            Don't feel sorry. Come on. Thank you. I'm doing well. Just have to be more careful. Not 30 anymore. But I will continue working out. I don't want to lose my strength and tone. It's hard to back off on routines. I WILL NOT HAVE ANY SURGERY. It's kinda out of my hands. I'm ok with it.

            Originally posted by Eileen View Post
            All the decades of wheelchair seating, especially for those of us who did sling seats for years, causes poor posture, and often muscle weakness contributes as well. I am 44 years post injury. When I was evaluated a couple of years ago for the first time in years the therapist said I had "old quad" posture, with kyphosis (rounding of shoulders) that came about from poor wheelchair seating. My MRI results also showed arthritic changes in my already weak neck area and I was told largely the same thing you were. My pain levels in the last ten years have escalated greatly too. My only advice is to do careful transfers, avoid transfers that aren't necessary (picnic blankets and such) and preserve your body from as many overuse syndromes as you can. Sorry you are having troubles.
            Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by FreeBird View Post
              Just going to live to the best of my abilities. I'm doing fine just back pain which is part of the deal. Still 90% independent God willing. Just stay positive and no auto accidents.
              That is all we can do. I do not have the strength and stamina that before I hit 60 and use help transferring on/off the commode for safety. Having had two fractures, I understand how brittle the bones are. On the other hand, I am not going stop living. I cannot stop taking risks completely. To a large extent, it is risk taking that got me this far.
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

              See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

              Comment


                #8
                Unfortunately, some of the problems described come with the genes and aging. Others are brought on by the injury. Put it all together, and the picture isn't altogether pretty. But I do agree that you need to keep living and as long as you keep the risks to a minimum, you are doing everything that you can to prevent further problems.

                I agree that keeping "unnecessary" transfers to a minimum might help - the same goes for any repetitive motion, especially in your shoulders, neck and arms.

                Thank you for sharing your issues/concerns. Sorry to hear about your divorce.

                CKF
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                Comment

                Working...
                X