Drink lots of fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink lots of fluids

I have always followed the general edict of staying well hydrated with an indwelling cath. Just curious if anyone has established upper and/or lower limits on how much liquid accomplishes the goal.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Hi,

It is usually recommended SCI folks drink 2-3 liters a day regardless of catheter, unless you have a medical condition (such as cardiac) that prohibits that.

AAd
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

the color of your pee is generally a good indicator of wether drinking enough water, although some medicines and vitamins will also affect the color too. i've starting using animal paks and i think my pee would glow in the dark now.

Comment

I asked because the blood work from my last physical showed both my sodium and chloride levels down again this year. I may be over indulging in water.
        Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Somewhere and some time ago (not sure where or when), I read an article that suggested drinking half of your body weight in ounces. Thus, if you weight 135 lbs, you would drink 67 ounces of fluids per day. That is a little over 2 quarts. It was suggested in the article that this formula helps to maintain a balanced blood chemistry. It sounds to me as if this weight rule of thumb comes close to the 2 to 3 liter recommendation sited by AAD.

Comment

My uro said to keep urine @ a light yellowish clear. If it stays clear, clear, you're drinking too much & it's very dangerous. Yellow, then not enough. Aaah, what a battle!

Comment

Gallon of water per day here. I have a high protein diet w/ that you gotta drink. I rarely get uti's thou. My pee is generally glow in the dark neon yellow from all the supplements i take.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I mentally keep track of what I have drunk each day, and have done so now for so many years it is like second nature. I drink a minimum of 2 liters/day.

Comment

Working...
                X