Advice - is this a pressure sore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - is this a pressure sore?

Since Sunday there is this thing on my bum. It bled a tiny bit, but is now dry since I've stayed in bed since Sunday.

Does this look like a pressure sore? I know I did a terrible transfer out of the car on Saturday, so maybe it's a knock?

It's on the right bum cheek, right where I'd sit on it. It's about half a centimetre in diameter, and slightly raised. It doesn't feel rock hard, and feels the same temperature as the rest of my skin.

A closer picture. These pictures were both taken in the same session tonight.

Comment

I can't tell K. I hope the nurse looks at this, either way it looks like a nasty sore to me. I just got two spots to heal on my right foot. I think I got them staying up day and night with the neuro pain until the stuff from the pain clinic started working. I was'nt laying down at all, now I go to bed.

Be careful and get it checked out if you are'nt sure.......

Comment

I'd say that it's an incipient sore. I had one like that and one day the skin broke. I started taking care of it, but it got bigger and bigger. 5 months later I was in the hospital, and ultimately had a flap surgery. What I *should* have done was stay off it for as long as it took to clear up. I've had one similar since then, and a week in bed cleared it up. Good luck!
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Yes, if it is right over your ischial bone, it should be considered a pressure ulcer. Can you feel the ischium directly under this lesion?

Keep all pressure off it. It could take days or even weeks to fade. Sitting on it now could cause it to break open. Don't use a dressing unless you get drainage, and avoiding putting any ointment or solutions on that spot. Eat your protein and keep up your fluid intake. If you are not already taking a multivitamin, start one.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymtn memories View Post
            I can't tell K. I hope the nurse looks at this, either way it looks like a nasty sore to me. I just got two spots to heal on my right foot. I think I got them staying up day and night with the neuro pain until the stuff from the pain clinic started working. I was'nt laying down at all, now I go to bed.

Be careful and get it checked out if you are'nt sure.......
            Thank you T. Were the spots on your foot like the one I have? With this, it wasn't there one day, then was the next.
            I don't know what happened.

Originally posted by Donno View Post
            I'd say that it's an incipient sore. I had one like that and one day the skin broke. I started taking care of it, but it got bigger and bigger. 5 months later I was in the hospital, and ultimately had a flap surgery. What I *should* have done was stay off it for as long as it took to clear up. I've had one similar since then, and a week in bed cleared it up. Good luck!
            Thank you Donno. I'm hoping that this will clear up very quickly too. I fear it might be more than a week with this though. Eek.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            Yes, if it is right over your ischial bone, it should be considered a pressure ulcer. Can you feel the ischium directly under this lesion?

Keep all pressure off it. It could take days or even weeks to fade. Sitting on it now could cause it to break open. Don't use a dressing unless you get drainage, and avoiding putting any ointment or solutions on that spot. Eat your protein and keep up your fluid intake. If you are not already taking a multivitamin, start one.

(KLD)
            It doesn't seem to be right over the ischial, but not far. I have a good bit of fat on my bum, and there seems to be a lot of padding between my bum and my bones.

A doctor who came to look at it said he thought it wasn't a sore, but an infected spot.(I know 100% it is not an infected spot). He's prescribed Fucidin, and some type of barrier cream. I suspected it might not be a great idea to use these ( but I haven't had anyone pick up the prescription yet).

I've just started taking a multivitamin.

I'm feeling nervous about whether I can deal with this. I was ok the first day, but now, whenever I lie on my side, after about an hour, I start sweating and get goosepimples and a headache. I'm sure it's ad related to my position. So I've been lying on my back for a while here and there, when I can't take the sweating and headache anymore.
            Also, I am obliged to do shower chair transfers, and I can't transfer without a board.
            I'm afraid I won't be able to get this to heal.
            I live alone, which doesn't help.

Thank you for the responses.

Comment

keps, I see you are in the UK. Can't you get some folks in your place to help such as the Visiting Nurses Assn or Meals on Wheels, a local Senior Center, a neighbor or hire someone to give you a hand?

Comment

Sorry keps. I get the same issues while lying on my sides. IDK what we'll do if we ever need to stay off our bums! I hope your dr is right, keep in mind though, kld has alot of experience w/ this stuff---take it easy! Keep us informed. Do eat lots of chicken ,fish & intake as much protein as possible just in case too.

Comment

Looks like a spider bite. Hope you get better soon keps.
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                    keps, I see you are in the UK. Can't you get some folks in your place to help such as the Visiting Nurses Assn or Meals on Wheels, a local Senior Center, a neighbor or hire someone to give you a hand?
                    Hi Smokey, I do have someone coming every day to do some housework. They are making me anything I want to eat, and grabbing anything I ask them to. This helps a lot!
                    I'm frustrated at having to wait until someone comes to do things like grab the post I heard coming through the letterbox though.

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
                    Sorry keps. I get the same issues while lying on my sides. IDK what we'll do if we ever need to stay off our bums! I hope your dr is right, keep in mind though, kld has alot of experience w/ this stuff---take it easy! Keep us informed. Do eat lots of chicken ,fish & intake as much protein as possible just in case too.
                    I've not long got off my right side. I'd been on it over an hour, but the headache and prickly sweating were getting to me too much. I know it's positional ad, as it starts resolving as soon as I'm on my back...but I worry about the sore then! I'm spending around 3 or 4 hours total a day lying flat on my back. Not ideal, but I'd never stop ad-ing otherwise.
                    Have you always got ad this way? I never used to, it's weird. I can't go on my front, as that has made my head hurt from the start.

I'm disregarding what my doctor said, and I'm not bothering with the Fucidin, at least. He's wrong. It's not an infected spot, in fact, I'm sure it's not an infected anything.
                    I trust more in what my spinal unit has to say, and the members of CC, and the SCI nurses.

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                    Looks like a spider bite. Hope you get better soon keps.
                    We don't have aggressive biting spiders here! Thank goodness (I hate spiders).

Thanks rdf! And quad79! And Smokey!

I do believe the sore is healing. It's flatter, I can't see a red dot in the middle anymore. It is also still completely dry - no wetness at all coming from it. (I do periodic checks with pieces of tissues gently held against it, lol! As well as touching it - gently - with my finger). I'm looking at it several times a day with my mirror.
                    I was scared about getting in the shower chair this morning. I put a plaster over the sore (as advised by my spinal unit, to avoid getting faeces in the sore when I do my bp). I was so relieved when I got back on the bed to see the sore was still intact.

I'm looking into the protein thing. I know I need to eat plenty.

Comment

Sorry Keps. I'm not sure what it is but if a bone is near it stay off it.
                      It could turn to one if on it. Also don't use cleaning agents like alcohol, peroxide, or betadine. They can kill good cells.
                      Good thing to cover & keep it clean during your bp.
                      I'll say some prayers for it to heal fast.

(hugs) take care Mona
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi keps, can you email those pics. to the pressure clinic at your spinal unit?

Comment

I have to agree ... I didn't think it was a pressure sore but nurse knows best for sure!

I thought it looked like an old pimple or ingrown hair that never came to fruition.

If it was pressure it would be totally red around the area?
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Keps, the two pressure sores on my foot looked similar to yours. The one on my heal looked a lot like it but the one on the side of my foot was way deeper and the center was black. I stayed off my feet as much as I could and used extra pillows under my foot when I laid down. Just keep doing the best you can to keep most of the pressure off the area of the sore. It always takes a while for them to heal, but it will if you're careful with that spot.

Get on the vitamins, and stay on them, watch your protein intake and drink plenty of water. We need to remember to do this all the time, I've gotten back on all my vitamins and have been watching the rest. It has taken a few months, but the one on the heal is almost gone and the other is looking much better. The foot doctor has been keeping an eye on mine and seems pleased with the progress. I do have an ointment to use, but have'nt been good at using it. They kept a cream and wrap on the one I got on my foot last year in the hospital and it healed in two months. Just before I got out they took the wrap off and said it was healed.

Just take it easy and rest. You'll be glad you did. Keep us posted and if there is any change you're not sure about, call the doctor.

Comment

Get creative with pillows!! I find that if I have to lie in a way that I don't normally lie then it's good to have extra pillows to prop up various limbs or back or whatever. It may take some of the discomfort out of lying on your sides. Best of luck for fast healing. One thing about being forced to stay in bed is that it starts to make the chair seem for once very appealing!

Comment

Working...
                              X