Hemorrhoids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hemorrhoids

Hi, I am a para for past 40 years. I have hemorrhoids for some time. They have gotten more severe past two months. My primary Doc feels I should see Colon Rectal Doc for surgery.

Issue for me, with the hemorrhoids I am bleeding now when I sit. So that is a major issue. The small blood amount will make the area more prone to breakdown.

Anyone ever had hemorrhoid surgery. Concern that it will affect sphincter tone and alter/destroy bowel routine.

Thanks for any response.

Hi,
    If you search hemorrhoids on this site, you should see several posts.
    Immediately after the procedure (depending on what method you choose), you would hold off bowel care for a few days to let the area heal. Once it is healed, there should be no change. You might consider the least invasive method such as banding to see if that works, but I am not up on all the new procedures so perhaps there is a method that would work better given your bowel program. Discuss this fully with your surgeon before proceeding.
    Let's see what others say.

AAD
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i will be watching this thread, too, because on top of the raw skin, my hemorrhoids are giving me a very hard time. i also have considered surgery, but no idea how it is done or what it involves.

thank you for posting this thread AZRich.... i am so sorry you are going through this and i understand.
      let's hang in there!

lola
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Lola, if you want to find out, youtube has videos of surgical removal of hemorrhoids. It's not a pretty sight. My general surgeon says he's done a lot, even on sci. He's fixed my anal fistula and removed my gall bladder, with great success, so I'll probably let him do it. He studies up before our appointments on sci. So he knows what I'm saying when I explain things to him. Great guy, probably in his 60s, and spry as hell.
        Originally posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
        i will be watching this thread, too, because on top of the raw skin, my hemorrhoids are giving me a very hard time. i also have considered surgery, but no idea how it is done or what it involves.

thank you for posting this thread AZRich.... i am so sorry you are going through this and i understand.
        let's hang in there!

lola
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

thank you for the tip, rdf! i hope if you go ahead with your procedure, that is a successful one.

i am thinking of talking with my GI surgeon who removed my gallbladder. he seems very resourceful and full of knowledgement.

lola
          "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Thanks lola, I wish you the same.
            thank you for the tip, rdf! i hope if you go ahead with your procedure, that is a successful one.

i am thinking of talking with my GI surgeon who removed my gallbladder. he seems very resourceful and full of knowledgement.

lola
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
              Thanks lola, I wish you the same.
              let me know how it went if you have it before me, and i'll do the same .... you're very welcome!

lola

c4-5 quad

Comment

Hi SCI-Nurse, I did get other information that was on the forum about hemorrhoids. (the prior postings came up when I posted mine). I have been on a RX of a steroid cream, but that only helps if I stay none weight bearing. Also on stool softener and I do push fluids. (got to do that when you live in AZ). I also agree the less invasive the better.

The small blood spotting makes the area of the coccyx
                damp and I have had breakdown there in the past. Do not want to risk again.

Lola wheelie, I will do follow up posting as I move on. tdf thanks for the info and your story that all went well with your work.

I am lucky that I live in the Phoenix area, we have several large Medical facilities. One has a neuro trauma unit and another has a Rehab unit. I will call both on Monday and see if they can refer to a Colon Rectal Doc who has worked on SCI's. My primary care Doc is a good man, but not all that skilled about SCI.

Thanks for the good feed back.

Comment

I had really bad ones to the point it would sound like I was peeing when I do my bowel routine. I had so much bleeding I went to my doc and he sent me to a colon/rectal surgeon. I had inside and outside hemorrhoids and the doc removed them. The following week was a bit inconvenient because I had to wear one of those adult diapers and had to get into the tub and clean the area 2 - 4 times a day. I had a lot of stitches and didn't really want to put my fingers up there but I did. I also had to use enemas but I use them anyways, and you have to be very careful. I had to be very gentle for the 1st week but eventually the stitches fell out and everything went right back to being normal. I still get a lil bleeding sometimes because I still have one inside but with a lil preparation h its totally fine and manageable. It feels a ll weird now but its nothing big. If you have any questions just ask me.

Comment

i had hemorrhoids surgery twice, it didn't affect my bowel routine in my case

Comment

Well here is the update:

I saw Colon Rectal Doc today (7/22). The reason I had the problem with bleeding and discharge is that I have large internal hemorrhoids that pushed out. With the steroid cream it did calm them down, but it took some long time.

The physican wants to do a removal of the internal hemorrhoids then staple the area. He said the staples will stimulate the area for a few days. (in the prior threads someone had said they did well with staples).

The "Other side" is that I waited to long, and the small blood and discharge broke down the skin over the coccyx. It is 1" by 1/2" and given the way I heal should take about three weeks. (the joy of log roll). I have HHC, stopping by. Then surgery on the hemorrhoids. ( I am a bit concerned that the Colon Rectal Doc was willing to do the staples while the skin over the coccyx is open). When I pointed this out he did agree to wait.

So I can be made hole (no pun) again. Learned that even with reduction of 'up time' and laying part time on the side, when you have dampness around the coccyx, keep it dry and stay off it.

Hope this helps Lola wheelie and others.

Comment

hi, AZRich

thank you so much for the update..... wow it sounds complicated! i apply corticosteroid suppositories to calm down my internal hemorrhoids.

i am seeing my GI surgeon on july 29th... let's see what he says. i will post my update, too.

have you picked a date to have your procedure?

lola

c4-5 quad

Comment

hi, AZRich

thank you so much for the update.....

have you picked a date to have your procedure?

lola
                          Hope he can put it all into one full picture for you.

I will not have the procedure done, until the skin issue over the coccyx is healed. I guess that will be three weeks. +/-.

Will look for your update. But I am not up much right now...

Comment

i hope you heal really soon!!

i am not up at all, but because other reasons besides the hemorrhoids.

lola

c4-5 quad

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              Hi,
                              If you search hemorrhoids on this site, you should see several posts.
                              Immediately after the procedure (depending on what method you choose), you would hold off bowel care for a few days to let the area heal. Once it is healed, there should be no change. You might consider the least invasive method such as banding to see if that works, but I am not up on all the new procedures so perhaps there is a method that would work better given your bowel program. Discuss this fully with your surgeon before proceeding.
                              Let's see what others say.

AAD

Can hemmeroids heal/disappear on their own if the irritation disappears, or are they always gonna be there once they appear?

Comment

Working...
                              X