Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caregver,

When I was ICing I used the one-time-use disposable catheters. At night we would insert the catheter into my bladder, wrap some tape around the catheter at the "nipple" (taping it to the nipple) where the catheter came out of the bag to keep it from sliding out, then tape the bag to my penis. In order to keep from filling the bag, which I believe held 1500 ccs, we would put the catheter bag inside of a big Ziploc bag and put a little hole in the catheter bag so that it could leak out into the Ziploc bag. That way I could sleep through the night without having to be catheterized. And I could drink all I wanted in the evening before bed.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

New to board

Hi Folks, I can't speak to the issue of colonization. I don't know much about it. I will share my limited experience with intermittent catheters and Vetericyn and a different technique: - I believe my immune system is not compromised. - Previously, I had two MRSA infections, 3 months apart. An enterobacter infection 1+ year ago. All treated with antibiotics - During my last round of antibiotics, I started using Vetericyn (liquid and gel) BUT ONLY ON THE TIP tip of penis and entry into to meatus. First liquid (1min) then gel (aprox 2 minutes while prepping to cath) ... providing reasonable kill time. - I use disposable caths and one sterile glove on the hand that touches catheter - Infection free for 6 months Why not instill Vetericyn? - I was a bit nervous about introducing Vetericyn into my urinary tract (but keeping it as "Plan B" option if my method didn't work. - My theory is that killing/avoiding microbes at the source - hand, and meatus would prevent microbes from entering the urinary tract (colonization, not withstanding). I welcome all comments.

Comment

I get a lot of UTI without cathing too so I am sure the cathing is not always the problem. Three years ago I had 20 UTI in one year,

I have just had one, E-coli - ESBL, used Nitrofuradantin for two weeks and started with Vetericyn at once and it is gone. I do not have any colonization either. From experience, the UTI is coming back nearly at once after the Nitrofuradantin and then I am ending in the hospital, in isolation, for IV antibiotics for two weeks. So I hope the e-coli ESBL is staying away for a while because I need a rest. I have been six times in the hospital in two years and been sick most of the time in between. It is hell.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by kmelinda View Post
          I been irrigating with 35-40 ccs 2 x a day, spraying my genital area, and spraying my cathedar tubing connections area after cleaning with bleach water for one month as of April 1. So far, my urine is still clear like water. I no longer have random bladder spasms and bladder pain. I started useing this after getting MRSA in my bladder and taking 2 weeks of Macrobid. I started irrigating on day 13 of my anitibiotics I have not tested my urine since but plan to in a few days. I wear an indwelling foley too.

Melinda

I received my culture today. I'm still clear of the MRSA, but I have a new bug [1 have never had before]. It's an acinetoracter species [50,000 cfu/ml], and the only symptom I'm experiencing is fatigue. I am normally having constant spasms and pain. Anyways, I'm just going to drink extra [more than my 3 liters] and keep irrigating and recheck things in a few days.

I just read a prior post about gram negative bugs releasing toxins when being killed, and this is one. So, I guess that could explain the extra fatigue. Anyways, lets hope and pray I can kill these unwelcome visitors without antibiotics.

Melinda

Comment

Does anyone see a huge difference between the regular Vetericyn and the Vetericyn-vf? Just interested on which I should choose. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated!

KC

Comment

I find that the VF gives me AD, and seems to irritate my sphincter. Regular Vetericyn seems OK - the VF is definitely a stronger bug killer.
              Don - Grad Student Emeritus
              T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Originally posted by kconsidder View Post
                Does anyone see a huge difference between the regular Vetericyn and the Vetericyn-vf? Just interested on which I should choose. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated!

KC
                My husband had drug-resistant pseudomonas for many months, would not respond to ANY antibiotics. Did two week trial of regular Microcyn, 60 ml installed 2x a day. Still had pseudmonas after this. Then changed to Vetricyn VF, same thing, only 3 weeks this time and it was fully eradicated, even months later he tests negative for it (and I don't do any regular rinses with it, I just did it for those 3 weeks).

If you're gonna spend the $$, you may as well get VF in my opinion.
                Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by zillazangel View Post
                  My husband had drug-resistant pseudomonas for many months, would not respond to ANY antibiotics. Did two week trial of regular Microcyn, 60 ml installed 2x a day. Still had pseudmonas after this. Then changed to Vetricyn VF, same thing, only 3 weeks this time and it was fully eradicated, even months later he tests negative for it (and I don't do any regular rinses with it, I just did it for those 3 weeks).

If you're gonna spend the $$, you may as well get VF in my opinion.
                  Yes, it does seem you may be getting more bang for the buck by using the Vetericyn VF, but many of us have experienced autonomic consequences using the stronger formulation. I am currently experimenting with using Vetericyn VF, but buffering/cutting it with 10cc of saline because on straight Vetericyn VF, I have had autonomic issues of major proportions.

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Originally posted by kconsidder View Post

KC
                    Hello KC,

I can tell the difference in the amount of time to clear urine. The VF is much faster. If you prefer the milder, I would suggest buying the VF and using about a 50 - 50 ratio with saline. You would double the amount of Vetericyn at no additional cost.

Note: I still use it (VF) 3 times a week and remain uti free.
                    Millard
                    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Im so glad to read how much this is working for most of the people on this forum. I know how much UTI's have hindered my life and I am really hoping this works for me. Sounds like the VF is the way to go. I have only had one case of AD and that was when I was injured 20 years ago so I am not very susceptible to them. What about microcyn gel? Has anyone used it at all? Perhaps in place of regular cathing lubrication?

KC

Comment

Is there anyone using the gel as a self cath lubrication? I've heard it mentioned but I haven't heard any details...?
                        Death and taxes

Comment

I use the hydro gel when I use the self contained cath kits at school. Works as both a lube and bug killer.
                          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Leila, well done! That's fascinating and logical and something I will pursue. I don't get many bladder infections but often have an irritating sensation which is doubtless a urethritis. Thanks. TJT

Comment

Not using lube

Before doing an IC, hubby has been submerging a catheter in a small shallow container of Vetericyn, deep enough to cover the catheter completely. Leaving it there for a few min to kill any bugs, then taking it out and using it without needing any lube. It has to be used quickly because it dries fast. But it has been working well. Have never got the V-gel, but from what I read it is not that much thicker than the regular V, but perhaps it might not dry as fast?

This works at home, but you probably couldn't carry a container around with you when away from home.

Not sure if all catheters have the same amount of slipperiness when wet, but it might be worth a try.
                              Caregvr

Comment

I'm up to try Vetericyn soon but have a few questions. I have a suprapubic and I'm very heavily colonized. Throughout the night I usually have pretty bad bladder spasms due to heavy bacteria. Was put on Detrol which does help somewhat but not enough to my satisfaction. Due to the very little time that I have, as well as help, can this be done on a once a day ordeal? Or is this something you have to do two or three times a day in order for it to work? Will the stronger version of VF be the way to go if it's done once daily?
                                A good friend is someone who will come to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend is the guy sitting next to you behind the same set of bars saying, "boy we sure f*cked up this time huh?"

Comment

Working...
                                X