Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todd, using a strong spray on the head of your penis before you cath or wetting your cath with the product can be effective. You only need a bladder flush if you experience UTIs. I only put it in my bladder when I have symptoms. And, I only use 10ccs for about 5 minutes when I do need a bladder flush.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by WPDaggy View Post
      That's exactly how you do it LTF. Purchase a 60cc syringe and suck the Microcyn up into it, then, after cathing, shoot it up in the bladder theough the cath.
      You left out the most important part of the process, WP -- the rolling around on the bed to make sure the Microcyn makes contact with as much bladder tissue as possible. That seems to be the one common step described by each one of the current users.

LTF, based on the bowel problems we've heard about from some of the folks who've tried this, I'd follow JenJen's advice to start with a lot less Microcyn than a full 60 ccs (20 ccs?) and a brief retention time and then slowly increase one and/or the other if you don't get the results you desire.

Personally speaking, I'd much rather do four days of b.i.d. low-volume, brief retention flushes and be diarrhea-free than do one-two 60 cc/15 minute flush/es and risk having my bowels messed up for the next 7-10 days.
      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

I have read this thread in each and every post with great interest for like everyone else with SCI I am sick and tired of being sick and tired From UTI's.. In fact for once living in a small town might pay off I am headed down to my vet to inquire about purchasing some vetericyn or ordering it off the net. I am curious about one thing though everyone's talking about flushing with this but not leaving it in for more than 5 minutes depending on each person's results how is it drawn back out of the bladder Though? I am a c4 quad so I will have to explain all this to my caregiver because all we ever do is just cath twice daily with no flushing. Thank you for any added information
        Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
          I have read this thread in each and every post with great interest for like everyone else with SCI I am sick and tired of being sick and tired From UTI's.. In fact for once living in a small town might pay off I am headed down to my vet to inquire about purchasing some vetericyn or ordering it off the net. I am curious about one thing though everyone's talking about flushing with this but not leaving it in for more than 5 minutes depending on each person's results how is it drawn back out of the bladder Though? I am a c4 quad so I will have to explain all this to my caregiver because all we ever do is just cath twice daily with no flushing. Thank you for any added information
          I'm going to just remove the syringe from the cath and drain it back out.

hip I have the 60cc syringes too they have markings for 10 and 20ccs also.

thanks Leila I tested the anasept once on my stoma now I'm just using it on my hands instead of purell.
          Last edited by leschinsky; 6 May 2010, 10:49 PM.
          Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

i started today with the microcyn... posted a thread but it seems to have gone missing (shrug) i use the 60cc syringes and just pull back out into the syringe when i am done but you can just let it drain out.

i think the rolling around on the bed = ridiculous but to each his own. i know if i did that the catheter would fall out and i'd just get stuff everywhere. i push on my bladder for 2 min. so it should be ok. i have the mitrofanoff + aug so i know my bladder collapses in on itself when empty so massaging should be good.

only discomfort i have is cuz i gotta put a little air into the syringe to make sure all 20cc get down the catheter to my bladder (i use male catheters, so they r pretty long) and that is just uncomfy. like my bladder needs to burp. and that i dont like. it went away after 20min and i had some gurgling but that's all i have to report
            "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
            http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

CG, the mods incorporated your thread into this one so all Microcyn experiences were in one place. It starts back at post 204.
              It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                CG, the mods incorporated your thread into this one so all Microcyn experiences were in one place. It starts back at post 204.
                wow ty! i rly wouldnt have noticed that at all!! i was sooo disappointed cuz i even took pics of my urine lmao! i will post here then...

Comment

Yeah, I don't roll around. I was told I should but I really don't

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen View Post
                    Yeah, I don't roll around. I was told I should but I really don't
                    seems like a lot of work and, as i said earlier, too much risk. pushing on the bladder should suffice. it seems to have worked for you.

Comment

If the males who self-cath get their preventative technique right, they probably won't have to flush the bladder very often. That was Bob's original idea--keep the microbes out of the urethra and they can't get into the bladder. John flushed the bladder a couple of times about eight months ago, after he had come off his last course of Cipro. He did that just to be sure there were no microbes left hanging around that the Cipro didn't wipe out. Then he began rinsing the urethra with Mic before each cath. First he did the whole urethra, even the prostatic section, a couple of times. Just to be sure. Then he did the penile urethra each time--paying close attention to that bottle neck spot just before the external sphicter (I think they call it the membranous urethra). That area is really tight for John. Then he just kept rinsing the penile urethra before each cath for awhile, but decided that he was wasting Mic, so now he just rinses the penile urethra morning and evening. The rest of the time he just does the distal urethra--that one to two inch part right near the meatus. He hasn't done a bladder flush in nearly eight months because there's just no way any microbes can get up there--no way at all. He's completely clean all the time.

For those who have the indwelling catheters, you can work out a preventative bladder rinse that works just as effectively to keep you clean all the time. I actually wouldn't wait till i had symptoms. I think I'd rinse the bladder once a week or something like that. It seems a little safer that way. But, each person will find what's right for them, of that I have no doubt.
                      I'm back on Facebook again--up and running!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000532232573

Comment

I'm lazy

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post
                        seems like a lot of work and, as i said earlier, too much risk. pushing on the bladder should suffice. it seems to have worked for you.

Comment

ditto. lol.

Comment

Waaaay back in this thread somewhere (I'm lazy too) there's mention of Microcyn being used for respiratory infections - how does that work?

And many thanks to those sharing their experiences. I just ordered a bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by WPDaggy View Post
                              That's exactly how you do it LTF. Purchase a 60cc syringe and suck the Microcyn up into it, then, after cathing, shoot it up in the bladder theough the cath.
                              Cool. I was assuming that's what you do, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before I send myself to the ER by doing something completely fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                                You left out the most important part of the process, WP -- the rolling around on the bed to make sure the Microcyn makes contact with as much bladder tissue as possible. That seems to be the one common step described by each one of the current users.
                                Well, I could certainly do that with ease, but I can understand higher level injured people not being able to do so as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X