Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazlo View Post
    Science chicks! ( swoon)
    lol lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lazlo View Post
      Science chicks! ( swoon)
      Best start to my day ever! Thanks for the grin and giggle, Lazlo.
      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

I would not use the Anasept on a regular basis. If I remember correctly, it is a kind of diluted bleach. It has fourteen times as much sodium hydroxide as Microcyn. Microcyn is in a completely different class.
        I'm back on Facebook again--up and running!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000532232573

Comment

Correction. The active ingredient in Anasept is SODIUM HYPOCHORITE. That is also the active ingredient in bleach. Anasept contains .057% sodium hypochorite, bleach contains 6%. Microcyn has trace amounts of .004%. So, that would mean Anasept contains fourteen times more sodium hypochorite than Micrrocyn. I would not use Anasept, because it is basically diluted bleach. Microcyn, as I said, is of another class altogether--completely innuculous to human tissue.

Comment

Passing through really quick, so I'll try to answer the questions directed at me...

I started using Veterycin in place of my Gent after my last bout with sepsis. At that point, I had nothing left to lose. (Microcyn was NOT available in the US at the time). I started by putting 30cc in my bladder twice a day and leaving it until my next cath. It cleared up my bladder issues almost immediately but my bowels went nuts.

Through experimentation, I discovered that FOR ME the magic happens with a FLUSH of my bladder. Anecdotally, the 10 minute mark seems to be where long-term diarrhea (days) develops. For that reason, I don't leave it in more than 5 minutes. None of this is hard science, it's my own experimentation over the past 3ish years. YMMV. I put 10cc in my bladder when I have symptoms and wash my genitals with a spritz before every cath.

THC, I've been plagued by vaginitis since my SCI - a combo of being "that age," ABX and sitting all the time on this un-breathable cushion I think. I started using the Vetericyn vaginally and I have no issues any longer. I douche with a small amount PRN.

I use Vetericyn on EVERYTHING. Open skin, rashes, infections, I use it on Ms. P for her ears and her hot spots and we are both in better shape since I started using it. If we had been facing the Boston-area water main break, I might have used it as my hand and surface sanitizer -- although that would get pricey.

A little goes a long way. Play with it and see how your experience compares. I think I may try the gel. It wasn't available when I ordered last (I order 12 bottles at a time). I can see that for wounds and rashes and Pearl's ears.

Hope that answers all the questions ya'll have for me. Otherwise, a PM is the best way to reach me. I've gotten so busy, I don't get to read every thread any more.
            My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

I have had a neurogenic bladder for 21 years today. I had a cystoscopy on Thursday of last week because I have white cells and microhematuria (blood not seen with the naked eye) all the time. It also smells like an infection but cultures for the last few months have come back negative. Plus my doctor that I have now is really thorough and she kept after me to see a urologist. After the urine dip most docs usually prescribe Cipro. So I take the Cipro and I feel better for a while.

When I had my accident they did not know all the things that they know now about reflex voiding. I have reflex voided since four weeks after my accident. Now my bladder is trebeculated and looks horrible on the scope. He said it looked like someone with prostate problems.

I have been taking magnesium and B-complex vitamins because my last urologist prescribed it for interstitial cystitis which I have(diagnosed by biopsy). I am wondering if this could work wonders for women with that condition as well. Lots of women have it and not all urologists (men) even recognize it as a diagnosis. It is so painful and then add spasms from the SCI to the pain and I have really been contemplating a uriostomy just for quality of life.

I am going to order some of this and do the flushes like you have been doing Jen. I have never cathed but he did mention it after my cystoscopy that I may have to begin. I have had tests all through out the years to make sure that my kidneys weren't having any effects of back pressure from my bladder. My tests have always come back fine.

I am interested to see if this could make a difference in my bladder. When looking at the earlier pictures of the wounds...I am thinking it may make a remarkable difference not only in the infection like symptoms that I have but the raw areas that I have on the inside of the bladder.

I will update in this thread when I get mine.
              T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                I have had a neurogenic bladder for 21 years today. I had a cystoscopy on Thursday of last week because I have white cells and microhematuria (blood not seen with the naked eye) all the time. It also smells like an infection but cultures for the last few months have come back negative. Plus my doctor that I have now is really thorough and she kept after me to see a urologist. After the urine dip most docs usually prescribe Cipro. So I take the Cipro and I feel better for a while.
                I learned something new today. I had no idea you could bleed and not see it.

Comment

Daisy,

MIcrocyn does have remarkable anti-inflammatory capabilities. Delivery technology is being developed to use it for the treatment of many inflammatory conditions--asthma, cystic fibrosis, mastocytosis, etc. Since mast cell irregularity, thus inflammation, is implicated with interstitial cystitis, microcyn could prove very useful. You just have to work out your protocol.

I studied a video on the potential of microcyn for use in inflammatory conditions, and it showed that microcyn could block problematic mast cell degranualtion, without harming the mast cell in any way. I can't get the link to that video, but I did take notes when I viewed it.

But here's the link to the youtube video that shows the woman who used Vetericyn to cure a five year long bout with mastocytosis, another inflammatory condition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAs5zV_aic

I wish the very best for you.

Comment

Microcyn Test Log

Gimp's log stardate 2010.0605:

catheterized normally with a male Mentor 14fr catheter and roughly outputted 250ml of urine. urine was slightly dark yellow, cloudy with mucous from the augmentation as per usual. (see photos)

10ml of microcyn was placed into a sterile urine cup, and then a sterile syringe was opened and used to put the microcyn into the bladder via connecting the syringe to the end of the catheter.

immediately notice that 10ml didnt travel all the way down the catheter so had to manipulate the syringe which proved to be difficult as there wasn't enough fluid in the bladder to pull back the stopper. finally gave up as the tip of the catheter kept getting caught on bladder/bowel wall so syringe was disconnected and rest of the fluid was drained.

high amount of discomfort but for evening cath will use 20ml to see if that makes a difference. due to expense, only small amounts are used as tester is on limited income.

Comment

hmm.. looks like my pics didnt go up. i will resize them l8tr

Comment

I'm so sorry if I missed it, but I'm wondering if anyone might be able to give me a relatively scientific link on Microcyn that I could share with my doctor. He is a relatively well-known NJ urologist, so he may well already know and have some reason for not offering it to me, but I was not colonized when I last saw him so he may not have thought I needed it.

Comment

Random, the Oculus web site (makers of Microcyn) has a section on Microcyn Technology that talks about the science behind the product. There's also a list of journal articles/study results.

The limitation is that it most all of it deals with the only FDA approved use of the product (for topical wounds). Perhaps Leila can send you a copy of some of the research re: bladder flushes and other proposed uses she's talked about in previous posts?
                          It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

I pm'd some info.

Comment

I'm still a little perplexed. If I get catheters, how do I then proceed in putting something inside my bladder rather than getting urine out? Do you attach a syringe to the end of the catheter and administer the Microcyn by injection?

I've voided my bladder all these years, so you're talking to someone with little cathing experience.

Comment

That's exactly how you do it LTF. Purchase a 60cc syringe and suck the Microcyn up into it, then, after cathing, shoot it up in the bladder theough the cath.
                                2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Working...
                                X