Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that I have noticed whenever I instill the Vetericyn (not the VF) for about 5-10 min. is that it really irritates my bladder causing pain and cramping, same thing happens when I irrigate/wash my bladder. Is this normal?
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

You may want to add some saline to the Vetricyn to dilute it. Also, leave it in your bladder for less time. You can gradually increase the strength of the Vetricyn and the time you leave it in.

you may want to use 50%saline/50%Vetricyn to start and only leave it in your bladder for 5minutes.

This does not seem to be uncommon, although some people don't have this problem, while others do.

ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Is it possible to damage your bladder after Botox surgery Using this? I had it done two weeks ago. All I know is it's a sharp burning cramp. I'm not going to do anything until all this settles down
        Last edited by crppled007; 21 Apr 2014, 2:31 AM.
        C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Perhaps the solution isn't at body temperature 98.6*F. Just a thought.
          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

It was at room temperature. I'm hoping it will settle down in
            a few days
            C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark View Post
              Perhaps the solution isn't at body temperature 98.6*F. Just a thought.
              Bob, I think you're dead on with your suggestion. The only time I have felt anything different was when I used VVF during the winter. I usually inject mine fairly quickly for better coverage and sometimes I get a little sting which goes away in 1 to 2 seconds. When the temperature moderates, I feel nothing at all.

Good luck.
              Millard
              ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Millard View Post
                "Some of the early posts recommended a website to purchase Microcyn, but when I went there all that was being offered is Puracyn. Is Microcyn and Puracyn identical? What about Vetericyn? If not identical, does anyone have a resource to purchase Microcyn? "

Jim, if you'd like, I would be glad to send you a PDF file I received from Oculus, Inc. that I could not post here as it is large. Regarding the uti's and cultures, I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures. By the way, Oculus, Inc. does not state it is approved for internal use so the SCI's do not comment on it's use in the bladder... We use it off-label. This is the reason the SCI's don't comment on it.

Good luck Jim.

""I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures."" HI Jim When you have your cultures how do you time then in regards to your V schedule?
                I instill in the morning should I skip the instillation when I am going to give a sample?

Thanks Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Hope1111 View Post
                  ""I have not had a uti (since 2010) but I always have cultures."" HI Jim When you have your cultures how do you time then in regards to your V schedule?
                  I instill in the morning should I skip the instillation when I am going to give a sample?

Thanks Diane
                  Not Jim, but I will respond my experience.

I instill Vetericyn at night and retain for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but I wouldn't use a specimen of urine that contained Vetericyn for a culture & sensitivity (C&S).

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

GJ, I tried it the day of my C & S and the results still had cultures. For me, it doesn't seem to matter as VVF is not an antibiotic. You can form you own opinions.

Good luck.

Millard
                    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Millard View Post
                      GJ, I tried it the day of my C & S and the results still had cultures. For me, it doesn't seem to matter as VVF is not an antibiotic. You can form you own opinions.

Good luck.

Millard, I agree. I don't think taking a urine specimen for a C&S, the same day you have instilled Vetericyn would be a problem. But, for me personally, I would prefer to take a specimen to the lab for a C&S that is 100% urine rather than one that contains some percentage of Vetericyn.
                      Just for example.
                      Intermittent Catheterization:
                      • Instill Vetericyn at 8:00 AM
                      • Drain accumulated urine and Vetericyn at 8:15 AM
                      • Wait until I need to cath again, say at noon
                      • Take that specimen to the lab for a C&S

Suprapubic Cathter
                      • Instill Vetericyn at 8:00 AM
                      • Drain accumulated urine and Vetericyn at 8:15 AM
                      • Wait for the next flow of urine after the bladder drained
                      • Take that specimen to the lab for C&S

But, given these hypothetical examples, why not collect a specimen at 8:00 AM, then instill and retain Vetericyn.

All the best,
                      GJ

Comment

How soon can I use that after having the Botox surgery? It's been two weeks and I've changed my catheter And instilled 30cc for about 5 min. yesterday and now my bladder is on fire, really bad cramps and pain associated with that. Did I screw anything up, will it get better? I think it needed more time to heal,
                        C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by crppled007 View Post
                          How soon can I use that after having the Botox surgery? It's been two weeks and I've changed my catheter And instilled 30cc for about 5 min. yesterday and now my bladder is on fire, really bad cramps and pain associated with that. Did I screw anything up, will it get better? I think it needed more time to heal,
                          Hard for me to say what is going on. I had Botox several times, but that was before I used Vetericyn. I can't imagine that the pain and cramping is caused by Vetericyn since these products (Vetericyn, Microcyn, Puracyn, and Dermacyn) are applied to some very extensive pressure sores and burns, without causing pain. Are you taking an anticholinergic medication, i.e., oxybutynin? If not, if might be advisable to take this kind of medication until the bladder heals from these injections and Botox takes effect.

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

I'm taking oxybutynin 10 mg twice a day, Symax twice a day, Enablex twice a day. I hope I did not Burn it.
                            C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

Received Vetericyn VF 16 Oz. bottle with the sprayer. Could only spray with it, not able to open the bottle to take the required ml. for instillation. So sprayed around 8 times in the container from which, I take the liquid for instilling. Do you all open the bottle?

The expiry date is Feb 2015. But once opened (or started using it with the sprayer), how long does it stay potent or stable ?? It is not given in the bottle. Any idea ?? In the microcyn bottle that I buy here, its given, it will be stable for one month from the date of opening. If that is the case with VVF also, then may have to buy an 8 Oz. or 4 Oz. bottle.

It will be good, if they give another cover or cap for the 16 Oz. bottle, in addition to the sprayer, which may seal the bottle tight.
                              Last edited by new.name; 22 Apr 2014, 4:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by new.name View Post
                                Received Vetericyn VF 16 Oz. bottle with the sprayer. Could only spray with it, not able to open the bottle to take the required ml. for instillation. So sprayed around 8 times in the container from which, I take the liquid for instilling. Do you all open the bottle?

The expiry date is Feb 2015. But once opened (or started using it with the sprayer), how long does it stay potent or stable ?? It is not given in the bottle. Any idea ?? In the microcyn bottle that I buy here, its given, it will be stable for one month from the date of opening. If that is the case with VVF also, then may have to buy an 8 Oz. or 4 Oz. bottle.

It will be good, if they give another cover or cap for the 16 Oz. bottle, in addition to the sprayer, which may seal the bottle tight.

Vetericyn VF comes in a plastic bottle with a spray head that has locking threads and some type of "lock tite" is applied to the threads to help curtail leaking. NL uses a pair of adjustable channel lock pliers to break the seal and open the cap. Then she decants the contents into a narrow neck glass bottle, with a twist cap. I buy 4 - 16 oz bottles of Vetericyn VF about every 3 months.

The Vetericyn website has an FAQ section. The following question is answered there. http://vetericyn.com/technology/faq.php

****Can you use Vetericyn Wound & Skin Care after the expiration date, if so how long after?
                                Vetericyn is only to be used within the time frame marked on the label of the product (expiration date). If used after expiration date, the product may not be effective.

All the best,
                                GJ

Comment

Working...
                                X