Concerned about mitrofanoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerned about mitrofanoff

As an RN I'm embarrassed to say I have great difficulty cathing myself. For the past nine months, I've had an indwelling catheter that I change every other week. I've made an appointment with a urologist to see about a mitrofanoff because I'm concerned about the incidence of bladder cancer. I'm wondering about the rate of complications for this procedure.

You shouldn't be embarrassed - it is very different to change a catheter on someone versus yourself. You are in a different role here.

That being said, there are a ton of threads on this procedure. It is major surgery, so does have the risks that go with that. However, I do not think that anyone who has posted here regrets it. Go to your surgeon with as many questions as possible and I am sure that others who have had this procedure will also post. It is much more powerful coming from them.

CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
    X