I have c diff....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have c diff....again

I had flagyl in the fridge from back in Oct when I had my meatal reconstruction. Does 500mg x3 sound right? I have also started taking Florestor because it is also supposed to be helpful. I have Organic yogurt in the house and have called my primary to ask for a script for Questran.
    I'll also start taking extra fiber for bulk.

Other than maybe buying banana flakes, am I missing anything else?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Yep, that sounds like the right dosage of Flagyl for 10-14 days, and your other remedies are spot on, too (although I've not ever considered the Questran request).

Only other things I can recommend are the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, dry toast) and liquids, fluids, and liquids, including some sports drinks to help keep your electrolytes in balance.

Just a few questions -- are you certain this is c. diff? Shouldn't you have a culture done to confirm before starting the Flagyl? And how is it you have so much "extra" Flagyl leftover from last year?

Regardless of the answers to those questioms, I hope this is a mild case that passes quickly -- it's a nasty, awful condition to experience!!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

I've been fighting cdiff for about a year now. Flagyl didn't work so I've been taking Vancocin. I'll take 250 mg x2 a day for a few weeks. Then back off to one a day for a few weeks, then one every other day, etc. Seems like every time I get up to one every 4 or 5 days it comes back and I start all over again. The doc just sent me for another stool test to make sure we're still battling cdiff. I also take florastor and yogurt. I've never heard of Questran. I agree with hip - are you sure it's cdiff? Mike
      T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

It's the real thing. It's the third time I've had it. It's straight liquid that smells like bad chicken. When you go five times in a half hour....

I'm sure. Yeah, I could go through all the drills but C diff can test negative several times over and what would that prove?

The doc gave me a huge allotment of Cipro and Flagyl from my previous surgery...did I take the full course before, not even close. That's why I have so much left over.

Comment

FUCKING C-DIFF!!! I just hope to NEVER come across it again... I had it on off for about a year too! Vanco

Comment

Careful what you ask for - LOL at your signature.

Seriously, I know that's just awful - hope it gets better soon.

Comment

Sucrolose and Splenda can compromise your friendly flora, I'm sure that didn't help me any.

Take note.

Comment

hope I never get it. my poor friend got down to 75 pounds with that. I thought she was a gonner. she is fine now but it took months for her to look like a live person again.

Comment

It almost killed my mom and then my dad got it. Take care and get better!
                  2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                  Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

I have it also. Taking vanco and florastor. A question, anybody try i.v. vancomycin orally in place of vancocin? The cost for the vancocin is outrageous over months of use.

I read on the angry pharmacist website that in hospitals that it has been administered orally to treat c diff for cost savings. Just curious if anyone has experience with this.

Comment

Forgot to mention. Bard and Hollistor sale a stool collection device to be used when dealing with c diff and diarrhea. A large foley catheter for a mere $700 to $800. What a deal

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
                        It's the real thing. It's the third time I've had it. It's straight liquid that smells like bad chicken. When you go five times in a half hour....

I'm sure. Yeah, I could go through all the drills but C diff can test negative several times over and what would that prove?

The doc gave me a huge allotment of Cipro and Flagyl from my previous surgery...did I take the full course before, not even close. That's why I have so much left over.
                        The medical school GI docs tell me that these days there are numerous bacteria other than c. diff that do the overgrowth thing with the same symptoms. Interestingly, they now treat overgrowth with antibiotics that can also cause it, such as levaquin and cipro. They also admit that there is as much "art" as science underpinning their treatment selection.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Anyone have success with Nitazoxanade? It is used to treat parasites. A nurse practitioner commented that her mother was treated with this and was cured within a couple of week. Also intravenous immunogloblin.

I apologize for butting into your thread NoDecaf. I'm at my wits end trying rid myself of this.

Comment

Ugh...sooooo sorry Joe.

Brat diet, yogurt, probiotics...you know the drill. Don't take the pro and anti at the same time though, spread them out. Gatorade to replenish electrolytes. If it gets too crazy you better go in. Bleach is the only thing that kills it on surfaces so make sure you or someone else is keeping things clean.
                            Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

HOLY SHIT!! C-DIFF almost killed me awhile back.. I had numerous doctors and was on countless medications till we found something that finally helped. Vancomycin - I believe 2 250mg pills a day for 2 wks. Florestor twice a day bc the vanco kills all the good and bad bacteria in your stomach and the florestor helps replenish the good.
                              SLOWLY tapered off the vanco while eating a SHIT-TON of yogurt(doesnt matter what kind as long as its fresh) every morning and eventually put the c-diff aside. I continue to eat yogurt everyday to keep the good bacteria in my stomach. If you dont like the taste of yogurt, like me, then simply eat the top of the yogurt bc that where the live cultures are that you want to put in your system.
                              Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
                              CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Comment

Working...
                              X