My elbow is swollen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My elbow is swollen

I woke up to my elbow hurting, but I ignored it. I finally looked in the mirror and it's swollen; it looks like a golf ball or smaller is in it. When I touch it feels squishy/tight like there is fluid in it. It's just a little pink, but warm to touch.

Could I have twisted it or what is it. I don't really lean on that side. Waiting on a nurse to call me back. Should I go into the doctor...it's already 3pm? Will I survive until tomorrow?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Go get it checked out! Remember ck's elbow?

Seriously vem, sounds like it could be serious.
    Daniel

Comment

Hope the nurse gets back to you soon. In the meantime... stay off it!

Christopher had similar problem a while back. Check his threads here, and (ouch!) here

Comment

Yup. Sounds like bursitis. Of course, here I am, two years later, leaning on my elbw. I've got a pillow on my desk but the dry weather has created a little crack in the elbw. It's still not the same after that infection... a permanent airbag attached.
        www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Bursitis.

He said it's not infected because it's not red and the warmth is the inflammation. Not wanting to drain it because that can introduce infection. I'm keeping it wrapped with ace bandages and letting it go down itself. They said it may even take a mnth or longer. Watch it for redness. Luckily it's not as big as ck's was. Now I lean on forearms.
          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

She said it's not from a wound so I doubt it's infected. Bursitis happens to athletes from overuse. November's arms are just too awesome. As is the rest of her.
            www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

I have no crack in my elbow...nothing is open. I went to the doctor this afternoon and they had me do the above.

Comment

Septic bursitis can develop from blood borne bacteria. It does not necessarily require an open wound. If the area of swelling increases, the area is hot to the touch, it starts draining, or the skin around the swelling starts to get red and hot too, or if you develop a fever, it may need to be drained, and IV antibiotics used. Keep a close eye on it. A joint infection is not something to take lightly, and can become systemic (ie, sepsis).

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Im sorry. Its not my buisiness. I guess its the mom part of me, and that it was so hard for me to get it healed when I had a puffy elbow like that. my mistake. glad it is nothing to worry about.

Comment

I keep thinking of ck's mutation too...
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I've had the inflamed bursa sac about 7 or 8 times over the last 20 years and twice since dis. Doc wanted me to wait and see if they would resolve on their own before draining them. Only had three drained after 2 weeks and some cortisone injected. Some even went down overnight using a pull on ace type elbow pad, but most took a week. I cant say for sure that it helps, but at night I would wrap an ace bandage from bicep down to mid forearm to keep the arm extended or at least to remind me to, and prop it up on a pillow to elevate it and relieve all pressure. The last two times post dis was from leaning on a countertop in the kitchen. I could hear that shit crunchin in my elbow. Next am...liquid golf ball.
                      DIGG.

Comment

I have a fever now since I got home. It's 100.2 right now but did get up to 100.6. I'm usually under 98 degrees.
                        Should I go in tonight? I never get fevers. My sci dr said get it drained and blood test but gp didn't do that.

Jody don't apologize, thanx for the help.
                        Last edited by november; 02-25-2010, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Nov, I would go to the hospital as soon as you can. GPs are great but can sometimes overlook things. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, but it's good that you're monitoring it. Sending healing vibes your way.....

Comment

hope you feel bette soon. saying a little prayer for quick healing.

Comment

I don't like that, do you get fevers v. often? I never do, I'd think I was dying if it got that high!
                              Blog:
                              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Working...
                              X