Bowel program 3 times per week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowel program 3 times per week?

I think I recall reading about doing bowel care 3x per week, but I couldn't find the thread(s.) Is such a schedule acceptable?

Thanks,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

i do mine every other day.. before my accident i went every day so why would i let my poo sit in me? u can choose. do it every day, do it every other day, do it 3 times a week, w/e u feel comfortable with. just find one that works for you. make sure ur not having accidents and not getting AD
    c4 incomplete
    brown sequard syndrome

Comment

I've always done it 3x a week. No problems here.
      www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

We do Davids every third day, tried every other day but there wasn't much and he got a lot of butt snot.

Comment

3 times a week

There is a whole school of thought from the Virginia area I believe M,W,F no weekends. They love it...I would too only a little nervous to try it...........

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
            I think I recall reading about doing bowel care 3x per week, but I couldn't find the thread(s.) Is such a schedule acceptable?

Thanks,
            back in 1978, we were trainned on every third or fourth day.
            so many years i did every three days, and years at every fourth day, 3 seems like not long enough, and 4 was sometimes too long, i like my weekends free for riding and traveling, so about 10 years ago i went to tuesdays and friday am, been great
            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
            Ronald Reagan

Comment

It is no problem if it works for you. For a long time the approach to setting up a bowel program was to base it on what bowel habits were before the injury, and that seemed like a reasonable approach. In discussing the issue with a couple gastroenterologists, they pointed out that the normal range between bowel movements is from twice a day for some people up to about every 5 days (hard to believe!). Most SCIs I know have always introduced a "convenience factor." I think most that I know are on a 3x a week schedule and a significant number twice a week. I have done mine every third day for most of my sci life and it has worked very well for me.
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

i go about every 4 days. no bp. i was a 1x day or eod pre sci.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by new dimension View Post
                  There is a whole school of thought from the Virginia area I believe M,W,F no weekends. They love it...I would too only a little nervous to try it...........
                  i do this
                  Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I would like to add that before old age and retirement, I was traveling/flying around the country quite a bit and found that I could do my bp a day late or early without problem. Some of us at least are a lot more flexible than we think. The only way to find out is to try. As the docs pointed out, there is a lot of variation between people with regard to bowel size, eating habits, metabolism, etc., and when it comes to a bp, it is really not a one-size fits all situation.
                    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Every person is different some every other day or 3 x a week is fine but some do it every day. Diet is important! Main thing is not to have symptoms of discomfort and not to wait too long because programs such as a blockage could occur.
                      CWO
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Friend from rehab who was a 6c incomplete did the BP once a week for years, then one day driving on the highway had incredible pain and went straight to the ER.

It appears that their colon has ‘stretched’ and had twisted into a ‘kink’ or knot and if hadn’t had immediate surgery (colostomy) would have died in a few hours.

In nearly 30 years I have tried numerous combinations, coming out of rehab with the standard nightly m-w-f . Sine I don’t eat much, tried every 3rd day, maybe even twice a week.

Now I go every other morning unless I have slowed down, then Miralax and every day until I become ‘regular again’.

Just a caution: stool is not good immobilized, you need to keep it moving even if it is small amounts or you will end up constipated, impacted or worse.

Comment

Do/can you guys use a standing frame or FES bike on days you dont poop??

The M-W-F, no weekends sounds awesome! Do you eat every day?? What about meds, like Colace & Senakot, when do you take them??
                          Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tuna View Post

The M-W-F, no weekends sounds awesome! Do you eat every day?? What about meds, like Colace & Senakot, when do you take them??
                            i do tues-friday bowel program, and yes, i eat at least two meals a day (not a morning person) and work 5 days a week, and usually out and about on weekends, and no, i don't take any pills

edit, guess i should add i drink nothing by pepsi's all day and eat unhealthy
                            Last edited by brucec; 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM.
                            We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                            Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tuna View Post

every other day here, thats what they did at inpatient rehab(jackson in miami)...no probs.....no meds,....i drink plenty of water, eat 3 meals a day, few small snacks between, but all healthy foods..... DO YOU EAT EVERY DAY?? lol....u gotta eat!!
                              - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Working...
                              X