No announcement yet.

What do others use to help them sleep??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melatonin is a natural sleep aid that has helped a lot of people I know, some were formerly using Ambien. Can't hurt to try.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Becky, have you tried any options other than medicines? Such as increasing activity and exercises, relaxation techniques like yoga, deep breathing and meditation, massages, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by chick View Post
        Becky, have you tried any options other than medicines? Such as increasing activity and exercises, relaxation techniques like yoga, deep breathing and meditation, massages, etc..

Yes I have!!!

Becky
        T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
        since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Comment

Originally posted by skippy13 View Post
          I use seroquel for sleeping. It is the only thing that works. Trouble is, in the morning you can have a terrible "hangover" that lasts for hours. It is an anti-psychotic drug, but the VA uses drugs off label all of the time, and I get all my drugs for free at the VA so I use what they give me.

As you already know, it is not uncommon at all to get a drug that has been developed for one thing and then has as a side effect or something that can be useful to someone else. It won't make you instantly psychotic if you stop the drug. It is not implying that you re psychotic if you use the drug. It just has the most wonderful sleeping benefit. I get 7 hours solid sleep on this stuff.
          That's good that it has not lasting effects on the brain for the sane person. I was raising questions because I was told by a psychiatrist that some drugs permanently alter the brain and I was thinking, WTF? You're not giving me that shit, are you? LMAO!

Comment

Rhovane by prescription.

It's been six years and I've started to develop some 'agoraphobic' qualities that in speaking with a friend, I may trace back to this sleep aid.

It used to be 1/2 a pill ... now it's 2 whole ones.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I was on ambian and lunesta. They worked great for about a week (one of them made me feel alittle odd before I went to sleep), but then nothing.

Comment

exercise, fresh air, no caffeine/sugar/fatty foods in the evening (well never for me but especially not in the evening)
                C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

Clonazepam, I use 4 mg a day and I take all of it at nighttime. Just time to take it now, 2.45 am
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I usually take 1mg Melatonin before bed; more than that I feel groggy the next am. It's natural, safe, effective & CHEAP. These excerpts from respected MEDLINE articles may be helpful:

Critical Care (London, England) 2008; Vol. 12 (2)
                    Melatonin use was associated with increased nocturnal sleep efficiency. Doses of 1 to 2 mg could be used

Journal Of Neurology 2007 Apr; Vol. 254 (4), pp. 459-64.
                    Melatonin significantly improved subjective quality of sleep
                    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Comment

I tried otc sleep aid once, and my legs and arms jumped all night, and into the next day.

Comment

Becky-

There are a lot of things to try before you try the medications. Have you tried warm milk at night? Herbal tea? Getting into a routine might also help. The experts say that you should turn off the TV, and basically get into a "sleep frame of mind".

Although Ambien, Serequel , Lunesta and others all do work for some, the side effects can be something that you need to consider. We basically took all of our older patients off of Ambien because we noticed that the side effect of confusion, was definitely more prevalent in this group. It decreased our falls at night and also the number of people that we needed to keep an eye on during the night. I know it is different at home, but...

Do you know if you have sleep apnea? DO you snore a lot? Both can contribute to increased sleep problems.

CKF
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have tried everything I can think of that is "natural". I am a big tea and milk drinker so have done those numerous times. I have no tv in my room so not a problem there. My whole life is a routine so night is too!

I am sort of desperate you know. Last night for example I slept maybe 10-15 min every two to three hours. So roughly a total of 45 min .

Becky
                          T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
                          since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Comment

Becky-

I have occasionally had that happen to me, so I can not imagine what it would be like to have it happen a lot. I was merely trying to give you some alternatives to medications.... you might want to try the good old benzo- Restoril. It worked well years ago and still does. You can repeat it if the lower dose doesn't work. Like all benzo's, it can become addicting, but if you use it when you need it, it shouldn't be a problem.

CKF
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ambien CR works for me

Comment

Originally posted by bcsimpsons View Post
                                I am sort of desperate you know. Last night for example I slept maybe 10-15 min every two to three hours. So roughly a total of 45 min .

Becky
                                Tramadol does that to me. Maybe something you're taking is
                                keeping you awake.

I do something different nearly every night to fall asleep. Nothing
                                works for very long and sleep aids are bad for you.

Whatever you do, don't use propofol!

Comment

Working...
                                X