Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox injections to the external urethral sphincter

Folks,
    I've read quite a few posts about urinary issue. Everything from leakage to disliking the time it takes to cath and in some cases, folks who do not have the mobility to cath independently.

Now, with the fact that every time you introduce a foreign object like a catheter into the bladder there is an opportunity to introduce an infection; I do not understand why more are not seeking methods to eliminate the need for catheterization. Anyway I digress….

To quote one study, which I'm trying to get feedback on… but also what to an idea of who is getting injections it into the bladder as well.
    "Botulinum toxin injection into the external urinary sphincter in spinal cord injured men with detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia has been reported. We expand the clinical use of botulinum toxin for a variety of bladder outlet obstructions and to decrease outlet resistance in patients with a contractile detrusor but who wish to void by the Valsalva maneuver."

I realize that this method may not work on all but; if folks could respond and indicate the following. I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Yes; I receive Botox injections into my:
    A: external urethral sphincter
    B: Bladder

2) I have this preformed at ________

3) My insurance pays for this and I'm insured with _____________

4) I have the procedure perform on a _______ basis.

5) Yes / No; If the above procedure worked for me; I would like to have it done so I could eliminate catheterization.

I couldn't manipulate an intermittent catheter, so I had Botox injected into my bladder sphincter on Jan. 12. It might take a week or 2 to kick in.

Comment

peter was it injected in the internal sphincter

Comment

No, external.

Comment

Unfortunately I've heard Botox to the sphincters or sphincter does not work very well, its still all fairly new, but results thus far have not proved too encouraging. If I thought there was a chance of it working for me I'd be doing it too instead of a sphincterotomy.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

curt, are u doing a internal sphincterotomy

Comment

I believe the doc is going to blast through both internal and externals. The more easy I leak the better off I'll be in the long haul. I've had to external caths and where leg bags since 1981 anyhow so it really does not matter if I'm a little more incontinent than I am now. If I wanna not wear a bag for an hour or so I can always just do a intermittant cath and stay dry for that time as long as I dont drink too much before hand.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by wang View Post
                Folks,
                I've read quite a few posts about urinary issue. Everything from leakage to disliking the time it takes to cath and in some cases, folks who do not have the mobility to cath independently.

Now, with the fact that every time you introduce a foreign object like a catheter into the bladder there is an opportunity to introduce an infection; I do not understand why more are not seeking methods to eliminate the need for catheterization. Anyway I digress….

To quote one study, which I'm trying to get feedback on… but also what to an idea of who is getting injections it into the bladder as well.
                "Botulinum toxin injection into the external urinary sphincter in spinal cord injured men with detrusor-sphincter dyssynergia has been reported. We expand the clinical use of botulinum toxin for a variety of bladder outlet obstructions and to decrease outlet resistance in patients with a contractile detrusor but who wish to void by the Valsalva maneuver."

I realize that this method may not work on all but; if folks could respond and indicate the following. I would greatly appreciate it.

2) I have this preformed at ___USC - Dr. Ginsberg_____

3) My insurance pays for this and I'm insured with _____Blue Cross________

4) I have the procedure perform on a ____every 6 mos___ basis.

5) Yes / No; If the above procedure worked for me; I would like to have it done so I could eliminate catheterization.
                Yes, it works in that I don't have to cath as much; bladder can hold more urine. No leaking

Comment

i get this done once a year and it is life changing for me. the first week after getting the procedure sucks but once that's over i take a leak a lot less often and have more time to get to a bathroom to do my thing
                  FANNING THE FLAMES OF A REVOLUTION!

Comment

btw i have had it done in san diego and milwaukee through the VA so it is covered for me
                    FANNING THE FLAMES OF A REVOLUTION!

Comment

noah, did u do internal sphincter injections, or for ur bladder leaking.

Comment

I think you guys are refering to botox to the bladder itself. The Original Poster was asking about just injections to the Spincter muscle.
                        "Life is about how you
                        respond to not only the
                        you have no goals, no
                        mountains to climb, your
                        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Botox injections to external urethral sphincter

My son is 11 years old and was injured 9 years ago. He is an incomplete quadriplegic, C-7. He has had no urological problems except for the past month. His doctors and I have decided we want to give him Botox injections. My doctors are familiar with this process but have never preformed it. We need to take action immediately. We live in Beverly Hills and want to know which doctors do this procedure. We will travel anywhere in the country to get it done. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by wang View Post
                            Folks,

2) I have this preformed at ________

3) My insurance pays for this and I'm insured with _____________

4) I have the procedure perform on a _______ basis.

1) YES TO BOTOX to bladder through SP
                            2) 1st time in 2007, 2nd will be on Feb 9, 2010
                            3) Alberta health care paid for it... i've requested them to pay for my second one
                            4) when i need it
                            5) yes, it worked great from 2007 until 4 months ago.
                            "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Comment

Anyone who had botox injected in Europe by any chance?

For my American friends who've had this procedure: could anyone tell me the approximate cost of such a procedure?

Thanks...
                              Last edited by mahabharata69; 18 Feb 2014, 9:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X