bowel regime question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bowel regime question

I was curious to know how long do most people spend sitting on the toilet after using the bullet? I am 11 years post T6 para and I do an every other morning routine. I typically spend about 30-45 minutes on the toilet. The problem I have is that every time, after my routine while in the shower I have an additional movement. I have tried everything in the past with doing dig stim on the toilet, but it seems like nothing works. It is like the whole transfer process from the toilet and then into the shower stimulates more movement. It is ok in the fact that I get the rest out, but it is always a problem when I go places and have to make sure that I have a shower available always immediately so that I don't have an additonal accident in my pants. I tried drinking coffee before, waiting longer with the bullet before I go on, just never fails. I have tried shorter and longer times on the toilet and still happens. I have spent up to an hour on there and still more.
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

I had the same issue, I quit using the bullet, and only use fiber when I eat.

Steve

Comment

It does take a long time, I didn't have accidents though. Shortly after I was injured I stopped using that method because it took so long. I just dig stim every other day. It takes about 10 mins.
      Andrew

Comment

You are not emptying completely (like you need me to tell you that). Could you be eating the right things? Are you getting enough fiber? Enough fluids? DOes your activity level go up and down?

It might help to keep a diary and change one thing at a time.... like increase the time that you do dig stim for 3-5 days. See if it helps..... if that doesn't, try changing something else like adding more fiber to your diet.

CKF
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

David just started the bullet last night. We plan on doing every other evening. But it only took him about 15 minutes and no accident last night nor today (so far) Really hope this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            You are not emptying completely (like you need me to tell you that). Could you be eating the right things? Are you getting enough fiber? Enough fluids? DOes your activity level go up and down?

It might help to keep a diary and change one thing at a time.... like increase the time that you do dig stim for 3-5 days. See if it helps..... if that doesn't, try changing something else like adding more fiber to your diet.

CKF
            I mean I generally get really good results, it simply takes a long while on the toilet and then more comes out in the shower as I said. I had stopped doing dig stim every time because I had problems with bleeding hemorrhoids that would cause more bleeding due to the dig stim. Maybe I should try to do like a half hour on the toilet trying to do dig stim with extra gel after like 20 minutes and see if that helps, although even way back when I did dig stim more often I had the same issue. Maybe now it will be different. I don't take any extra fiber supplement and I think that I eat enough balanced foods. I go without a problem it's just the time I would love to cut down. It's not like I get a lot of bowel accidents. I mean I do get an occasional one here and there which I just expect as part of the whole situation. Thanks for the ideas and any other comments would be appreciated also.

Comment

You can always consider a colostomy. Many here have gotten one, and I haven't heard any complaints. I'm one level up from you, and I spend a lot of time on the throne, too. Been thinking of ways to hurry the process. I'll let you know if I discover something that works. I'm not ready for a colostomy yet, but I might get one in a few years if I can't shorten my BP time. Good luck to you.
              Originally posted by kr420am View Post
              I mean I generally get really good results, it simply takes a long while on the toilet and then more comes out in the shower as I said. I had stopped doing dig stim every time because I had problems with bleeding hemorrhoids that would cause more bleeding due to the dig stim. Maybe I should try to do like a half hour on the toilet trying to do dig stim with extra gel after like 20 minutes and see if that helps, although even way back when I did dig stim more often I had the same issue. Maybe now it will be different. I don't take any extra fiber supplement and I think that I eat enough balanced foods. I go without a problem it's just the time I would love to cut down. It's not like I get a lot of bowel accidents. I mean I do get an occasional one here and there which I just expect as part of the whole situation. Thanks for the ideas and any other comments would be appreciated also.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I used to do the bullet thing and sat on the pot for 1/2 or more, and my routine was twice a week--unless I felt the urge in between, of course. Now I go every day with good results, and it's been that way for a long time. I take a prebiotic powder in the morning and a probiotic (or 2) capsule in the afternoon--along with drinking a gallon or more of water each day. With that, and the dig stim, I'm done in 10 minutes. I do go at night, though. If I went in the morning I'd take the powder and capsules at night.

Good luck!
                2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Lord does my husband know what you mean. He has spent up to 2hrs on the toilet before! Since he has been out of rehab it has got alot easier. He has never had an accident but he spends about 30 - 45 mins some nights. On a good night it will only take20 mins. He does it at night every other day. He does about 10 mins of dig stem and then uses a enemez. Been working pretty good for about 3 months.....(He has tried the bullets but they didn't work for him)...We are still new to this but this is the part he hates the most! Good luck to you

Comment

Have you tried Enemeez? You can contact them and they will send you free samples to try out. The Magic Bullets never really worked out for me, but then again what works for one does not work for another. I use them and I pretty much empty pretty good. I don't have a movement everyday, but I always check anyway.

Comment

Since the moving around to get from commode to shower seems to be the trigger for the additional output, have you tried moving around while on the commode? I recall some people talking about getting better and more complete results when they bent forward and side to side several times during their bowel care.
                      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

My son started to use 1/2 a Magic Bullet and that seemed to end the "finisher surprise" 95% of the time.
                        Luke 5:24

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                          Since the moving around to get from commode to shower seems to be the trigger for the additional output, have you tried moving around while on the commode? I recall some people talking about getting better and more complete results when they bent forward and side to side several times during their bowel care.
                          I actually move around quite a bit while on the commode. For one I like to weight shift so no pressure issues and second ot does seem to stimulate movement. I don't think its the suppository that is the issue. I think it would be the same with others. I like the bullet for the fact that ot works quickly and forces a clean.out most times. I would nt consider a bag. Not something I would want. I don't have a lot of accidents and I'd rather spend an hour on the toilet every day instead. I'm going tp try to go back to dig stiim for a while before I transfer and see if that helps clean out. Then I may consider increasing to every morning and see if that males it better. I know that pre-injury I would go at least once a day if not more so I wonder if my body needs that frequency increase. Anyways all the comments are helpful. You always learn different methods by people sharing what worms for them. Its too bad what works for one doesn't work for all guess that would be too easy. I actually use the toilet backwards. Instead of sitting on it like you normally would I wheel up straight on and straddle the toils bowl nd slide on the opposite way. I find it so much easier on and off. Works great for me!

Comment

I actually use the toilet backwards. Instead of sitting on it like you normally would I wheel up straight on and straddle the toils bowl nd slide on the opposite way. I find it so much easier on and off. Works great for me!
                            That's actually something that's recommended to brides-to-be who are concerned about how in the heck they're going to be able to pee once they get into a wedding dress with a long train!
                            It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

All of the suggestions are good ones - (I wish I had known about the backwards toilet transfer on my wedding day!) The only thing I would caution you about is to change one thing at a time. See if that works or at least improves your situation. If not, try something else. Generally the time frame is 5-7 days of making the change.
                              CKF
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X