Gelnique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gelnique?

Anybody tried Gelnique yet as a bladder med in place of oral meds? It is a gel that is rubbed on the skin everyday and suppose to reduce side effects. Its like Ditropan in a gel form. I think it was fairly recently FDA approved. My doc is giving me some samples today. I'll report back how it works. I'm tired of dry mouth and feeling fuzzy headed.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Well, first Dose today and no side effects so far, no dry mouth or fuzzy headed feeling. Bladder cap seems to be up ok also.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Curt, Remind me why you haven't pursued Botox injections.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
        Curt, Remind me why you haven't pursued Botox injections.
        Cant find a doctor to do it, every Urogist I've talked with knows nothing about botox. I had one Doc tell me it would not be covered under insurance even if he did do it as its an off use for Botox and not FDA approved.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
          Cant find a doctor to do it, every Urogist I've talked with knows nothing about botox. I had one Doc tell me it would not be covered under insurance even if he did do it as its an off use for Botox and not FDA approved.
          OK, but there clearly are urologists that are experienced with the procedure. My procedures have been done through a study I'm participating in, so no cost to me (actually, I get paid). However, several people here have succeeded in getting insurance coverage. At most, you would probably have to pay only for the Botox itself, not the physician services involved in administering it.

I was a slave to the wet whims of my bladder, which was arguably the worst part of my SCI (eventually you get used to not walking, but not peeing yourself). Botox has been my emancipation! I can't recommend it highly enough.
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Stephen, I'm going to keep trying to get it done, sounds like a good thing, I'm tired of all these crazy bladder meds which half the time dont work or have goofy side effects.
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I would encourage you to get urodynamics repeated to be sure that this new medication is effectively managing any high pressures. There is no other way to know.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I was given samples by my urologist today. Just applied and am hoping I dont dry up like I have the last 3 weeks on Vesicare 10mg.....I hhave my fingers crossed but wondering how much it costs???

Comment

Not really sure about the costs but its probabley inline with the rest of the newer type meds and that would be around $120 to $150 per month. I'll find out when they write me a script for the med after my samples run out. I have enought for another 12 days.
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    I would encourage you to get urodynamics repeated to be sure that this new medication is effectively managing any high pressures. There is no other way to know.

(KLD)
                    I'm sure my pressures are too high no matter what med I take. I have small spastic bladder and unless I cath once an hour (impractical) I'm going to have high pressures. I get a UTI about once ever couple of weeks. I really want to get another Sphincter operation done but cant find a doctor to do it. It seems like in this modern day and age of Laser instruments the only one is the size of a garden hose and that will not fit into my bladder. I should probabley put my engineering skills to good use and design a much more thin instrument. Seems like I have to do everything myself in this lifetime.

Its either that or get a SP tube done and thats starting to look very tempting, even if I die of bladder cancer in another 15 years its better than the quality of life I am currently living being sick all the time as long as I dont constantly get bladder infections for the next 15 years.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                      Not really sure about the costs but its probabley inline with the rest of the newer type meds and that would be around $120 to $150 per month. I'll find out when they write me a script for the med after my samples run out. I have enought for another 12 days.
                      If that's what you're laying out per month, then Botox is the less expensive route. I was dry for 10 months and the effect was only beginning to wear off slightly when I got re-injected. And since the Botox goes right to the source, there are no side-effects (e.g., dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation) to cope with.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Bringing this thread back up to see if there is more info on Gelnique? Doc gave me samples, and I'm wondering if it's like Oxytrol or better?
                        Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Comment

The proof of the pudding with this new way to administer an anticholerergic medication is to compare the results of urodynamics done with it vs. other anticholenergic medications. Have you had urodynamics on it yet? Has your leaking subsided? Are you still without any side effects at the recommended dosage?

You can still have reflux due to high pressures with an indwelling catheter, which can actually increase pressures due to the irritation of the catheter.

An augmentation could be done surgically to both enlarge your bladder capacity significantly and reduce pressures and risks of leaking, but you would need to do intermittent cath with this. We only do these now if Botox has failed or cannot be used for some reason. Botox will not enlarge a permanently shrunken bladder.

We rarely do sphincterotomies any more because over time the long-term use of reflex voiding has the most complications and side effects of any bladder management method.

You should be able to find a referral to a good urologist who uses Botox from any large SCI center, such as the Miami Project or Jackson Memorial in Miami, or through any of the VA SCI Centers in Florida (since many of their physicians also have a private practice). Have you tried calling?

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Good morning KLD,

Actually, I was not given this for leaking, but rather bladder spasms... I have not had an urodynamics done in centuries lol... my bladder is very tiny and thin... Doc says I need a new one lol, problem is I cannot afford the downtime.

I have not started the gel yet, I got it 2 days ago, but keep forgetting to call the office n ask for instructions. He just sent me the samples.

Regarding Botox, I'm skittish about it from what I've read here about side effects of people loosing energy (If I loose any more energy I'll be a dead battery), as well as someone mentioning ADs... Which I've had tons of these past 2 weeks, so I'm wiped out already. Besides, I don't think my insurance would cover it... I'm sure it wont.

I can't go to Miami, I'm stuck in Broward County and my insurance only works with one urologist... He's good btw, just limited in resources.
                            Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Comment

I was given samples of this by my urologist and so far its done its job. I've been going 6 hrs with no leaking, I'm happy because its easy to apply and I've had no side effects. My doctor gave it to me without a urodynamics done but I am scheduled for one.
                              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Working...
                              X