No announcement yet.

Gelnique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the website for Gelnique. Here you will find prescribing information and a video on how to apply the gel.

Dry mouth and application site irritation (it is suggested that you do not apply the gel in the same place two days in a row) are the major side effects. Dry mouth seems to be less than with the oral oxybutynin.

GJ

Comment

I tried this and it worked great with no side affects but the cost was more than I am willing to pay since the Oxybutynin 15mg ER once a day works fine for me and I really have no side affects from it especially compared to the regular Oxybutynin/Ditropan There seems to be a difference in the ER compared to the regular. Plus in addition to the reg Oxybutynin I was also taking imipramine and robinul, not sure on the spelling there. Any way when taking that cocktail dry mouth was a real problem but not now with the ER and not with the Gelnique gel either when I tried it. If I remember correctly my INS did not cover Gelnique and I think it was at least going to run me $80.00 a month compare that to $8.00 for my Oxybutynin ER and of course it is a no-brainer, for me anyway.

Comment

That stuff's expensive. I went to the pharmacy for 30 packets after my trial sample from the doc ran out. I've got 3 types of insurance and they wanted another $140 on top of that... cough cough... needless to say I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
          If that's what you're laying out per month, then Botox is the less expensive route. I was dry for 10 months and the effect was only beginning to wear off slightly when I got re-injected. And since the Botox goes right to the source, there are no side-effects (e.g., dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation) to cope with.
          I like botox much better as well. I've only been on it for a short while, but it really has changed my life, with no side effects.

And from a financial standpoint, it's hard to beat if you've got medicare. Since it is (or at least can be) a procedure done in the hospital with anesthesia and all that, medicare will pay 100% since u are technically hospitalized.

Comment

gelnique

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
            Anybody tried Gelnique yet as a bladder med in place of oral meds? It is a gel that is rubbed on the skin everyday and suppose to reduce side effects. Its like Ditropan in a gel form. I think it was fairly recently FDA approved. My doc is giving me some samples today. I'll report back how it works. I'm tired of dry mouth and feeling fuzzy headed.
            So, how did it go? I know you posted this a few years ago....hopefully you're still using it. My doc is suggesting it.
            Thanks.
            Chuck

Chuck

Comment

bump..........
              Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Comment

I do not take this med but saw a 41% DISCOUNT ON THE LINK BELOW

http://www.helprx.info/discounts?search

Hope it works.
                Last edited by Helga; 19 Oct 2012, 6:29 PM. Reason: WEB PAGE FAILED
                Helga

Comment

Nobody has a follow up using these product?
                  Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Comment

Low T

You can't listen to SAT radio or watch TV for more than 20 minutes without another commercial for testosterone supplements. Are there any studies indicating that males with SCI need hire T levels than AB's? All these people taking T supplements cannot have Low T. Yet so many of us with SCI experience fatigue, loss of stamina, loss of libido, and just don't feel like doing stuff as we age. Personally, my T levels are always in the normal range, but might these levels vary for men with SCI? I know of at least one local physician who believes that the generally recommended T levels are too low and places T pellets under the skin for some of his patients. Given the known side effects of too much T, I wouldn't participate in this therapy unless there was some science behind the prescription. However, I think it is worth exploring. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by tasty View Post
                      You can't listen to SAT radio or watch TV for more than 20 minutes without another commercial for testosterone supplements. Are there any studies indicating that males with SCI need hire T levels than AB's? All these people taking T supplements cannot have Low T. Yet so many of us with SCI experience fatigue, loss of stamina, loss of libido, and just don't feel like doing stuff as we age. Personally, my T levels are always in the normal range, but might these levels vary for men with SCI? I know of at least one local physician who believes that the generally recommended T levels are too low and places T pellets under the skin for some of his patients. Given the known side effects of too much T, I wouldn't participate in this therapy unless there was some science behind the prescription. However, I think it is worth exploring. Any thoughts?
                      Hello Tasty,

My doctor my low testosterone when he did the blood work and also found diabetes. My question to him was why was I losing hair when it's not hereditary and also I was having to shave every third day. He prescribed a gel (Fosterone) to rub into each thigh daily. My hair came back and now I have to shave (yuk!) daily.

Good luck.
                      Millard
                      ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                        Here is the website for Gelnique. Here you will find prescribing information and a video on how to apply the gel.

Dry mouth and application site irritation (it is suggested that you do not apply the gel in the same place two days in a row) are the major side effects. Dry mouth seems to be less than with the oral oxybutynin.

GJ
                        Reading back through this thread, I noticed I forgot to post the website for Gelnique:
                        http://www.gelnique.com/

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                        (Posted: 12-19-2009, this thread) 09:48 AM Cant find a doctor to do it (Botox), every Urogist I've talked with knows nothing about botox. I had one Doc tell me it would not be covered under insurance even if he did do it as its an off use for Botox and not FDA approved.
                        Just to update this comment. Botox has FDA approval now and has had since late summer 2011.

FDA NEWS RELEASE
                        For Immediate Release: August 25, 2011

FDA approves Botox to treat specific form of urinary incontinence

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) injection to treat urinary incontinence in people with neurologic conditions such as spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis who have overactivity of the bladder.

Uninhibited urinary bladder contractions in people with some neurological conditions can lead to an inability to store urine. Current management of this condition includes medications to relax the bladder and use of a catheter to regularly empty the bladder.

The treatment consists of Botox being injected into the bladder resulting in relaxation of the bladder, an increase in its storage capacity and a decrease in urinary incontinence.

"Urinary incontinence associated with neurologic conditions can be difficult to manage,” said George Benson, deputy director, Division of Reproductive and Urologic Products. “Botox offers another treatment option for these patients." (more of the article at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm269509.htm)

I don't understand the introduction of "Low T" into this thread. the medication GELNIQUE™ (oxybutynin chloride) Gel 10%, is "the first and only topical gel approved for the treatment of overactive bladder (OAB), is effective at improving the symptoms of urge urinary incontinence, urgency and frequency."

All the best,
                        GJ

Comment

I use gelnique, but only as a backup, extra med. if I am flying or going out drinking Which is rare I use it in addition to my normal meds. It works for me, but I hate the sticky glue it leaves behind so I dont use it regularly.
                          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Working...
                          X