Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just burned myself, what now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I just burned myself, what now?

    I just spilled a good bit of boiling water onto my bare legs. It seems to be starting to blister now, what do I do?

    Do I need to keep the burned area covered?

    Should I avoid getting it wet, or make sure and keep it clean by washing it?

    #2
    Run cold water on it.

    Comment


      #3
      Ok, I found some online stuff about burn first aid.

      As an SCI, when should I be worried or what extra do I need to think about that I am not thinking about?

      thanks dylan

      Comment


        #4
        Don't pop any blisters - they're nature's sterile bandages. Keep it clean but don't rub it. Protect it from getting rubbed or bumped - that would normally hurt like blazes but you don't have that "advantage" reminding you to take it easy.

        Comment


          #5
          If the skin falls off and is draining, you should probably go to the burn unit. 15 years ago I burned myself with boiling water and I spasmed so bad I could barely push my wc, I ended up going to the burn unit and getting skin grafts (not the same day but a few days after burning myself). I think its still wise to see a doctor you don't want it to get infected.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by wtf View Post
            If the skin falls off and is draining, you should probably go to the burn unit. 15 years ago I burned myself with boiling water and I spasmed so bad I could barely push my wc, I ended up going to the burn unit and getting skin grafts (not the same day but a few days after burning myself). I think its still wise to see a doctor you don't want it to get infected.

            Ouch!!!

            I don't think that mine is quite that bad.

            Lots of the red has gone away now, and it looks like probably only around 3 square inches will blister up.

            But it sounds a lot like I don't do anything different just because I can't feel, just run to the doc if it gets ugly, right?

            Comment


              #7
              my daughter once burned her leg with boiling water.. i kept covering it with manuka honey and a very light loose bandage and gave her pain killers.It healed really quickly and she never ended up with any scar.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by funklab View Post
                Ouch!!!

                I don't think that mine is quite that bad.

                Lots of the red has gone away now, and it looks like probably only around 3 square inches will blister up.

                But it sounds a lot like I don't do anything different just because I can't feel, just run to the doc if it gets ugly, right?
                Thats good, if you have some silvadene cream put some on your burn and keep covered. I use the silvadene on small burns and within a few weeks the burn heals up with hardly any scarring.
                A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by wtf View Post
                  Thats good, if you have some silvadene cream put some on your burn and keep covered. I use the silvadene on small burns and within a few weeks the burn heals up with hardly any scarring.

                  Not very concerned about scarring, but I have no idea what silvadene is. I've got some triple antibiotic ointment, should I use that?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by funklab View Post
                    Not very concerned about scarring, but I have no idea what silvadene is. I've got some triple antibiotic ointment, should I use that?
                    yeah that'll work just make sure you keep it covered and if it starts to look funky see a doctor.
                    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I wouldn't put the antibiotic ointment on, it would have a greasy base. I agree with wtf, silverdine is good. It is important to always cool the burn as soon as possible to minimise the burning action on the tissues.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I wouldn't put the antibiotic ointment on, it would have a greasy base.
                        I strongly disagree. I've successfully treated several large, third degree burns by applying liberal amounts of neosporin and keeping them covered at all times with a sterile telfa pad. The antibiotic cream keeps drawing bad things out of the burn to help it dry out and heal, and to ward off infection. It requires persistence, but it works.
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

                        ~Julius Caesar

                        Comment


                          #13
                          As long as the blisters remain intact, keep it covered and dry. Silvadene works well, imo, but you do need a physician's prescription. I have found that the"Blister Bandaids" (that is what they are called) work great on both blistered and open skin. They use moist wound healing, which leaves very little scarring and generally heals very quickly.

                          If it starts to look ugly at all - go see your Doc ASAP.

                          CKF
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                            I've successfully treated several large, third degree burns by applying liberal amounts of neosporin and keeping them covered at all times with a sterile telfa pad. The antibiotic cream keeps drawing bad things out of the burn to help it dry out and heal, and to ward off infection. It requires persistence, but it works.
                            I've done this too & never saw a doctor. Of course I'm not encouraging not to see one either but this has worked perfect on my burns. I second to never pop them, you're asking for trouble & scarring.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              This will help if you have any of these herbs (or herbal teas containing any of these herbs. If the burn is open DO NOT use loose herbs.

                              http://www.ehow.com/how_2101843_burn-treatment.html

                              http://www.home-remedy.org/burn-remedies.html
                              (i can not vouche for the mustard or egg remedies but the others will help)

                              Best of luck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X