Yeast infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeast infection

Every time I get on antibiotics I get a yeast infection. Should you ask for a Diflucan when you start on antibiotics or when your finished?
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

quadmarie: It sounds like we both have the same problem. My doctor has always told me to wait till after I'm done the antibiotics to take the Diflucan because the yeast infection is not going to clear up if you take it along with the antibiotic. This drives me nuts because it sends my muscle spasms over the edge every time! Lately I've been getting a lot of UTI's so it's been a never ending battle for me. Wish there was another way to get rid of both of these things.

Comment

I'm the same way. Sometimes I wonder if I'm on the right antibiotic because my symptoms don't change due to yeast infection.
      Marie

Comment

Oh I know! I hate it! It would be nice to get other peoples opion on this subject.

Comment

Fungus is hard to kill. I took Diflucan for 7 straight months to get rid of a toe nail fungus. It finally did the job. You may need to take it longer than the doctor would normally recommend.

Comment

I used to work for a gyno and this is VERY common, even in women without a SCI. I never had an issue pre-injury, but I do now. I'm the same as quadmarie with my symptoms not changing (mostly really bad nerve pain) because of the yeast infection on top of what is already going on. What I do is get the Diflucan, with a refill, when I get the antibiotic. At the first sign of a yeast infection (discharge/odor) I take the Diflucan and it usually clears up, but if it doesn't then I have refill to take another when I'm done with the antibiotic. Hope this helps!!

Comment

Oh that is a good idea btorb74. i will have to try that. I have had mine a few days now so should I still try taking a Diflucan tomorrow and see what happens? Then if it doesn't clear wait till I'm done the antibiotics?

Comment

Nerve pain! You hit the nail on the head. My nerve pain definantly goes up!
                Marie

Comment

yes my nerve pain increases to!! the never ending struggles of sci!!

Comment

Douching with 1 tbls vinegar to 1 quart water will clear a yeast infection also

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
                    - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by bailey5774 View Post
                      Oh that is a good idea btorb74. i will have to try that. I have had mine a few days now so should I still try taking a Diflucan tomorrow and see what happens? Then if it doesn't clear wait till I'm done the antibiotics?

If you know you have an infection that's what I'd do--take it right now if you have it, remember it takes up to 24 hrs to totally clear it up. If it doesn't then the antibiotic you are on is changing your vaginal chemicals too much for it to work and, unfortunately, you'll have to suffer and wait until the antibiotics are gone to take another dose. I would also recommend, while you are on antibiotics, eating yogurt with active cultures to help you out. Also, you can talk to your doctor about the different antibiotic options if you know which ones are better/worse for your vajay-jay--there's always more that 1 antibiotic that will work depending on what's wrong. Take control of your care.

Yeah, the nerve pain is a BITCH!! I hate how just when you think you've felt the worst and figured out how to deal with it--SMACK--a UTI hits and it spikes up so much worse and has that nasty bite to it!! I so wish that the docs could feel that, just for a few min lol. The days that I wake up and the nerve pain is way down and I'm not diving for my Lyrica and Cymbalta as soon as my eyes open and I can actually get right out of bed--well, that's better than cheesecake AND chocolate put together!!

Comment

Originally posted by flicka View Post
                        Douching with 1 tbls vinegar to 1 quart water will clear a yeast infection also

sorry flicka, I'm not trying to pretend to know it all, but I just gotta say NO NO NO--DON'T DO IT to that one!!!! From working at the gyno, I also know that douching can push yeast/bacteria thru the cervix and into the uterus causing MORE problems. Vinegar won't kill the yeast and douching doesn't always flush everything either. NOT a cure

Comment

What are symptoms of a yeast infection? How do you know you have one? Never had any problems...I don't think anyways!
                          Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

Originally posted by gurly2356 View Post
                            What are symptoms of a yeast infection? How do you know you have one? Never had any problems...I don't think anyways!
                            usually a nasty thick, cottage cheese like discharge with a foul odor. if you have feeling there is also bad itching and burning. trust me, you'd know lol

Comment

Also, you can talk to your doctor about the different antibiotic options if you know which ones are better/worse for your vajay-jay--there's always more that 1 antibiotic that will work depending on what's wrong. Take control of your care.

Yeah, the nerve pain is a BITCH!! I hate how just when you think you've felt the worst and figured out how to deal with it--SMACK--a UTI hits and it spikes up so much worse and has that nasty bite to it!! I so wish that the docs could feel that, just for a few min lol. The days that I wake up and the nerve pain is way down and I'm not diving for my Lyrica and Cymbalta as soon as my eyes open and I can actually get right out of bed--well, that's better than cheesecake AND chocolate put together!! [/QUOTE]

I have tried two antibiotics for my UTI's and lately cipro has been the only one that will work. Even after the first dose of cipro the yeast infection comes!! Then the nerve pain increases! I to wish doctors could feel for a few min how bad it is for us. Then maybe they would have a better understanding just how bad it really is.

I will see what we have for yogurt tomorrow in the house. I'm not a big fan of it but I guess I can start eating more of it. I do drink cranberry juice for the UTI's but guess that's not working.

Comment

Working...
                              X