My Colostomy - The Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Colostomy - The Journey

This is going to be my journey before and after my Colostomy. It will happen at 10:00am Wednesday November 11th. I will be having it done at Sweetish Medical Center in Englewood, CO.

If you are thinking about having one, I will try to update this as often as possible from my BlackBerry so I will say sorry now for my spelling.

Stevie P

This morning I mixed a bottle Mirlax with 64oz of orange Gatorade I have to drink it all. It says that the bottle holds 14 doses. I don't know what is going happen but at some point it will be all be over and I will be on my way to freedom. I have to start drinking the Gatorade in 5 minutes so I will talk to you in the morning after I have my colonoscopy and then I prepare for my Colostomy.

Thanks for your encouragment.

Stevie P

Comment

Good luck with things Steve, hope all goes well.
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Positive thoughts coming your way, StevieP!

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Good luck!
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Stevie,
            Good luck with your procedure on Wednesday. I hope all goes well for you. I will be going for mine also on December 9th. I'm being admitted to the SCI Center @ The James A. Haley VA Hospital in Tampa Florida on December 7th to start the 2 day clean out process. I will have to remember the Miralax which I take now at home but only 1 capfull at a time not the whole container. The Miralax doesn't have any taste unlike the horrid GOLYTELY that I had to drink 1 1/2 jugs of back in March of this year when I had my colonscopy at the same place I will be having the colostomy surgery next month. When you can please let us all know how you made out. Is yours being done laparascopically or will you have a vertical inicision down the middle of your belly like I have to have?
            Take care my friend !

BOB

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Stevie.
              William M.
              T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

Comment

So last night went ok not to messy so I think I was in the right place at the right time. I will find out in a few minutes how cleaned out I am, when I have the colonoskpy. I don't like to sit on a pad in public, but that is all in my mind. Looking forward to Wednesday when I have Colostomy and that fear will be over to some degree.

If anyone is in the area of Swedish Hospital come and see me.

As I sit in the waiting room, waiting on a camera.

From my BlackBerry
                Stevie P

Comment

Steve,
                  Good luck keep possitive, it will be a good thing. You are also at a very good hospital. I have mine scheduled in early December, again good luck
                  Brad

Comment

Best of luck, Stevie. Getting the colostomy was the best thing I ever did. It has enhanced my life, and is so much easier since my sister is my main caregiver. I had no healing problems and feel it was definitely the right thing to do.

All the best,
                    Mark
                    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Comment

Hope everything went great today, Stevie. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
                      It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

colostomy

Steve,
                        My sons colostomy is one of the best things he has had done. Easy to keep clean and far less hassles. Nice not to have to worry too when he goes somewhere. You will love it.
                        DavesMom, Diane

Comment

Originally posted by RAFS View Post
                          Stevie,
                          Good luck with your procedure on Wednesday. I hope all goes well for you. I will be going for mine also on December 9th. I'm being admitted to the SCI Center @ The James A. Haley VA Hospital in Tampa Florida on December 7th to start the 2 day clean out process. I will have to remember the Miralax which I take now at home but only 1 capfull at a time not the whole container. The Miralax doesn't have any taste unlike the horrid GOLYTELY that I had to drink 1 1/2 jugs of back in March of this year when I had my colonscopy at the same place I will be having the colostomy surgery next month. When you can please let us all know how you made out. Is yours being done laparascopically or will you have a vertical inicision down the middle of your belly like I have to have?
                          Take care my friend !

BOB
                          Bob,

I got to a computer tonight so this is a lot easer to type then on my BlackBerry. Mine is going to be done laparscopically with 4 small insions.

I did ask the doctor if I could stay awake for the surgery but he said no because, I may move and if their is any problems they can controll my breathing or whatever else if I am out.

Stevie P

Comment

The Colonoscopy went well no problems at all just two small polups that he said were nothing. I chose not to have any sedation since I can not feel it at all. What a cool movie it was to watch the scope travel through my colon.

I have started the antibotics that stay in my gut to make sure that I do not get any infections during or after surgery and they are making me so sleepy.

Tomorrow is the big day when they re-rought my drainage system. I have still not been marked to where they are going to put the bag, it is going to happen in the morning before surgery.

Talk to you tomorrow if I can.

Stevie P

Comment

Originally posted by StevieP View Post
                              I have still not been marked to where they are going to put the bag, it is going to happen in the morning before surgery.

Talk to you tomorrow if I can.

Stevie P
                              Have them mark it when you are sitting in your chair, not lying in bed. You don;t want it in a fold.
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X