Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does spinal cord operation contribute to loss of height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does spinal cord operation contribute to loss of height?

Anyone knows if spinal cord op will contribute to the person's height decrease? I think my height decreased.

Hi, yes, I had the same experience. I used to be 165 cm tall before the injury. Now I am only 160 cm. I asked my surgeon, and he said that the trauma to the spine + the surgery was the reason for the 4 cm loss. ...

Comment

Originally posted by agnes View Post
      Hi, yes, I had the same experience. I used to be 165 cm tall before the injury. Now I am only 160 cm. I asked my surgeon, and he said that the trauma to the spine + the surgery was the reason for the 4 cm loss. ...
      Thanks! I also lost the same amount of height.

Comment

Hi,
        Yes I would agree that it could contribute. Also, after injury/surgery, a change in posture could also affect height.

AAd
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I lost about two feet in height, my length however has remained roughly the same.

Comment

if they are removing the disc mterial and not putting fusing or placing artifical disc or anything in there to fill the space, that will also cause a height loss
            cauda equina

Comment

Lurch,two FEET? is that sitting?

Comment

I gained back more than an inch after they put me back together fusing L345

Bill
                Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
                don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

hmm, but they have put a titanium cage in my spine in place of the removed vertebrae, but lost height.

Comment

I gained about 2 inches after fusion
                    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Comment

I ended up at 6'3". I was 6'1" at the time of my injury. Back surgery made no difference.

Millard
                      ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                      X