Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1N1 Flu Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    H1N1 Flu Questions

    So. I've had the flu for more than a week now. At first I had headache, sore throat, fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion/runny nose and the most ginormous case of being wiped out and exhausted I've ever experienced.

    The fever went away for less than a day and now it's back. The sore throat is gone, but other symptoms remain along with new ones.

    When breathing, I wheeze and make a funny crackling noise in my chest. It sounds like "bubbles" being "popped" (only way I know to describe it). The wheezing is worse on one side than the other.

    When will I no longer be contagious? When I no longer have fever? Will abx help the insane breathing biz I'm experiencing?

    A family member got the flu at the same time I did. He can cough up what's in his lungs and is doing better than I am. Nothing's coming up for me no matter how I try to cough.

    I'm due to leave on a month long vacay next weekend and need to be well. I not only want to be over this crap and feel better, but I don't want to spread germs either. Suggestions and info appreciated re: swine flu. TIA.

    #2
    Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
    So. I've had the flu for more than a week now. At first I had headache, sore throat, fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion/runny nose and the most ginormous case of being wiped out and exhausted I've ever experienced.

    The fever went away for less than a day and now it's back. The sore throat is gone, but other symptoms remain along with new ones.

    When breathing, I wheeze and make a funny crackling noise in my chest. It sounds like "bubbles" being "popped" (only way I know to describe it). The wheezing is worse on one side than the other.

    When will I no longer be contagious? When I no longer have fever? Will abx help the insane breathing biz I'm experiencing?

    A family member got the flu at the same time I did. He can cough up what's in his lungs and is doing better than I am. Nothing's coming up for me no matter how I try to cough.

    I'm due to leave on a month long vacay next weekend and need to be well. I not only want to be over this crap and feel better, but I don't want to spread germs either. Suggestions and info appreciated re: swine flu. TIA.
    I've been dealing with this very thing for more than a month, now. No matter how many times I use the inhaler, I cant clear this junk, even though I don't have a productive cough, or any cough for that matter.

    It is centered on the right upper lobe/bronchi. Real high pitched. I sound like I'm bubbling and wheezing and you can really hear it when my mouth is open. I thought it was my asthma thing again even though I use steroids and an inhaler. I was going to ask my doc when I see her in November.

    Be careful of pneumonia or bronchitis.

    I hear that you are supposed to be without fever for several days before you are no longer contagious. I havent tried antibiotics for the chest thing because it doesn't seem to be an infection.

    Take care and I hope you get to go on your vacation.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

    Comment


      #3
      You need to go to a doctor ASAP, are you taking tamiflu? sounds like bronchitis and you need antibiotics and posssibly an inhaler.
      CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        You need to go to a doctor ASAP, are you taking tamiflu? sounds like bronchitis and you need antibiotics and posssibly an inhaler.
        CWO
        I'm not on Tamiflu.

        Got it re: getting to the doctor. Will do.

        Comment


          #5
          Hope you can see the doc soon, I have always been told that the fever leaving and then coming back later is a bad sign.
          T7-8 since Feb 2005

          Comment


            #6
            Viral illnesses like the flu can easily lead to bacterial infections such as a chest infection. You sound like you need antibiotics asap
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              My MD had me on clarithromycin almost immediately after listening to my chest. It took a while to work but after day 8 I started to have less junk in my lungs.

              Comment


                #8
                Does having had the pneumonia vaccine help at all for the h1n1 flu?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I had the same thing where I had flu symptons and then I would feel better but then I would feel sick again, I didn't get any wheezing in my chest tho and now a week later I'm 100% better. Last year I had a bad cold which developed into bronchitis, I couldn't get the junk out even tho I have good technique to cough, so my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics to clear it up before it turned into pneumonia. See your doctor to clear it up.
                  A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Praying your Dr. gives you some good meds and you get well asap.
                    i hope you get to go on vacation. {hugs} Mona
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm going at 9 a.m. tomorrow unless I worsen tonight. Have transportation lined up in either case. My best friend was about to ream me out for not going already when I told her I'm going to the doc. She's how I'll go somewhere tonight if my fever goes higher or my breathing gets gunkier.

                      This flu has hit me like none other. I'm guessing it's h1n1 as seasonal flu has not been i.d.'d in my city. They've stopped testing to see which kind anyone has because it all came back h1n1. Bleh.

                      The noises in my left lung are just not good. I've had bronchitis, but I've never sounded like this. It's not a high pitched wheeze, but more a grumbling lower one if that makes sense. Thankfully I was never a smoker.

                      Glad to know what you took, VQ. Will mention clarithromycin to the doc if this is bronchitis or pneumonia. Whatever this is, it sucks.

                      I just want to feel like me again, want to feel good. You never think about what good feels like until you're sick as crap. At least I don't.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post

                        I just want to feel like me again, want to feel good. You never think about what good feels like until you're sick as crap. At least I don't.
                        my words exactly!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I had it a couple of weeks back .It's nothing to play around with,I was on the verge of pneumonia.Like you,I had never ever felt so crappy.

                          Have you tried bending over & coughing?That's my only way.If you don't have anyone to help you do assisted coughs,maybe the hospital should be your home for awhile.

                          I sure do hope you get some good abx & start feeling better soon.I'm sorry you feel so rough.Start some vit. c & remember to push the fluids.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Van Quad View Post
                            my words exactly!
                            +1

                            Bad stuff you had there, Van Quad, glad you're strong and made it through it !

                            I hope it's about run its course, LaMemChose, and doesn't get worse.

                            Don't know that i would survive a full-blown case of this, not at this point in time in my life....
                            .
                            get busy living or get busy dying

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by wheelman21 View Post
                              Does having had the pneumonia vaccine help at all for the h1n1 flu?
                              the pneumonia shot only is good for one type of pneumonia. you can still get the other kind. i just checked with my dr. to see if my shot still good (they're good for 5 yrs).

                              my son had flu 2 wks ago. assume it was h1n1, they're not testing for it here either. was mild case.

                              mem, hope you're better soon...wish you'd gone to dr. sooner!
                              Last edited by cass; 25 Oct 2009, 10:19 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X