Falling Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling Down

Last Monday I was transfering onto my bed to change clothes before going out. Hit the floor first.
    Got up on the bed eventually.Checked my body and I seemed to be okay. That night I was going to sleep and I checked it out again. Good I thought.
    Had a crappy sleep and at 5:00 decided to check again. Looked and went Holly Crap. My right knee was the size of a mellon.

By 8am I was in the hospital. My blood preasure was 78/34 They must have taken my BP 15 times.I finally told them not to expect to much more than that.

x-ray - broken Femur just above the knee.
    "Because there was no weight baring they sent me home.

I drove home and was given T3's.

One of the side effects of the trauma (I hope) is my sight. I seem to be having a hard time to focus on words.

I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow to get some questioned answered.

Geoffrey

I am surprised they did not try to stabilize it. Hope it is not a bad fracture. If it is suggested, consider putting a pin in. It will hellp protect you from a second fracture.

The voice of experience.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

You definitely need to follow up with the surgeon, I am sssuming it was a crack in the bone and not a more serious fragmented fracture.

CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

If this is indicative of how the Canadian national health service treats a femoral fracture in someone who is spinal cord injured, then I think we should all be very concerned of single-payer, government controlled health care. To let someone drive home after such an injury and not keep you under observation to determine stability to me seems obviously questionable.

Comment

additional problem.

Hi,
          It has been 10 days now and I am still sort of crappy. (okay crude but the best I could do).

I left the hospital and ended up taking four t3s a couple of days in a row and after being sucked into the underworld during my dreams. - okay that could be a thread in itself.I stopped taking anymore and just dealt with things. It has only been the last three nights that I have actually slept.

I saw the surgeon on Monday and looked over the x-rays. I broke the femur in the outside knuckle. Don't know if you can see that on the shots or not.

He said it is one that would be operated on right away but as I don't weight bare they were going to leave it alone to heal. At least I saw where it was so I can take care when I have to transfer especially on the right.

Now here is a big problem. My Eyesight is screwed up. I have letters that disappear. I told the surgeon this and he said well side effects from the trauma will go away.

I am very fortunate to have good relations with the doc in charge of the sci rehab. in fact he was trying to get a hold of me to ask if I would do a question answer period with the second year med students - which I did the next day with 165 students.
          I was in his office after the surgeon and told him of my sight and he said - did you have a real good headache last Monday night. yes. well we need to get you with the hospitals ophthalmologist. I believe you had a spike in your blood pressure and have damaged your retina. So I will be in there next week sometime.
          It is a real pain trying to read or write.

It is so important to maintain a good relationship with these people. I have been asked to speak at the sci education week in the rehab center since I left there Dec 2005.
          Now I will get to add to my talk - oh joy not the way to do it.

Geoffrey

Comment

I am wishing all the best for you. I hope you heal fast and the vision problem self corrects or is taken care of too.

Comment

Originally posted by SymKat View Post
              I am wishing all the best for you. I hope you heal fast and the vision problem self corrects or is taken care of too.
              Thanks very much. It really is a pain. I am doing my second year of an Executive MBA and I am already two weeks behind. So the sooner the better to heal.
              I have looked into a software program than scans then talks - Scan N Talk. I think I better pay for it and get one to me fast. If I order on Monday I will have it by Friday. Small price compaired to the cost of my tuition.

Thanks and I will let you know what the Eye Doc says.
              Geoffrey

Comment

It's not just Canada. I live in the US with private payer coverage. I've had 7 (yes that's SEVEN) fractures of the long bones of my legs. In all but the first instance, I've been DXed by Xray and sent home with an immobilizer until I could see my own ortho. I drove myself to and from the hospital on every occasion except my first.

My personal feeling is that it is more about our non-weight bearing status and lack of or altered sensation. We're zebras among the thoroughbreds in the ER. We're non-standard. I've been told more than once in the ER that "since I don't use them anyhow AND since they're such a PITA," I should just amputate my legs. Some people don't get it.

Originally posted by crags View Post
                If this is indicative of how the Canadian national health service treats a femoral fracture in someone who is spinal cord injured, then I think we should all be very concerned of single-payer, government controlled health care. To let someone drive home after such an injury and not keep you under observation to determine stability to me seems obviously questionable.
                My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

thanks tahoemnts.

Hey JenJen - I told him that I do weight bear everyday for at least an hour in my strap stand. He said you will not be able to for a while. I said I don't have a problem with that provided it heals so I can continue to do it without breaking it again.

I think it went in one ear and out the other. Thank God I have a great relation with the Doc that is in charge of rehab.

Geoffrey

Comment

I hope all goes well. Careful. Those long bones are easy to stress.
                    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

So... they did not operate?Femur fractures are scary because of the proximity to the femoral artery. Don just recently fractured his right distal femur and they had to nail it... without that, even though he had no weight bearing, he would have no stability and the femur is ultimately at higher risk for re-fracture.
                      Please ask your surgeon to reconsider.
                      I hope all heals well for you!

Comment

The last time I broke a femur I didn't think I had. Every other time I heard an audible break. Once it was under a plate from a previous one.
                        That last time I had turned over quickly in bed to answer the phone. My leg fell off the bed wedging itself at a weird angle b/tween the back wheels and long bar supporting the feet. I had to angle it out (the call was for the SPCA a one digit different from my #). The knee swelled and I thought it the bursa sac. I didn't even have my usual broken bone running sweat. I elevated my knee that night. In the morning it was still huge but there was also a red line bright enough to look like blood running down the inside of my leg from the knee to my crotch. It was under the skin but I worried it could possibly be a blood clot. I called non emergency transport and went to the ER. I've been in that ER too much and am on a 1st name basis w/ the staff. I told the doc my fear about a clot, my wish to rule it out and my desire to go home. I was given the appropriate tests and x-rayed. The doc came back in and said, "I have good news and bad". He went on to tell me there was no clot. The bad was the femur was broken down by my knee. He then said "You'll have to be admitted. Hospital policy requires admitting all broken femurs". I was splinted and there for a week or so. That was good because it was hard to care for myself splinted. I was sent home. I had a difficult 1st 2 days then next thing I knew, I was intibated on a vent in ICU and lost a month. They couldn't successfully extabate me, so trached me. The 1st time they pumped air into the wrong spot and blew me up like a balloon. A week or so later I was trached again and transferred to another hospital. I ended up getting that clot I 1st feared which became a pulminary embolism sometime from the 1st tests till my 2nd night home.
                        Be very careful w/ any breaks, sprains etc. I think that was developing prior to being sent home the 1st time. Possibly the shots in my stomach kept it from moving to my lungs while hospitalized. I coded 3X's on my return trip as well as staff, strep in my heart and lungs, 2 stage 4 sores on my ishiums, a feeding tube, central, pic lines and port also infected. I was surprised and more surprised I was grateful, I was still alive every time I came to.
                        The splint was removed prior to the transfer. When moving me from stretcher to bed someone grabbed the broken femur leg and used it to drag me across. From that point on the soaking w/ sweat began. It is frustrating as hell not being able to tell someone when they are going to do something wrong. I missed my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
                        At almost 40yrs post I had thought I had been through the worst. Demand your docs do what's needed. Go w/ your 'gut' feelings. Your femurs are the biggest bones in your body. I've never recovered all from 1st femur break in the early 1990's. I've now had 8. My femur caused the lung problem. I have never worked harder in my life when weaning off that vent. I'm home now on no O2 at all though still no where near as strong as prior to the last break. That causes other issues...
                        Last edited by dash; 09-26-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Hope it heals up well man.That's just crappy in every way.
                          Be yourself!!!
                          http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                          BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                          Sponsored Athlete
                          http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                          www.genegvd.com

Comment

I know this is very late but.... Get well soon!!

Comment

Same with me Geoffrey, I stand every day in my stander. I was told to stay off until Xrays confirmed healing. The first time, I was in a standard cast but the risk of skin breakdown was frightening. After that, I go into a KAFO so that twice a day I can do a skin check. Also had to take an asprin a day to prevent a clot. After you're healed, you might ask for a bone density scan and see if your bones can be improved with supplements. It's a crap shoot but if it works, worth it.

Good luck. Hope you heal quick.

Originally posted by Geoffrey View Post
                              thanks tahoemnts.

Hey JenJen - I told him that I do weight bear everyday for at least an hour in my strap stand. He said you will not be able to for a while. I said I don't have a problem with that provided it heals so I can continue to do it without breaking it again.

I think it went in one ear and out the other. Thank God I have a great relation with the Doc that is in charge of rehab.

Geoffrey
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X