Dealing w/ the smell of SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing w/ the smell of SP

I was wondering how do others with SP's manage the smelliness of it. When I first got the SP I was excited. I was like wowwww, no IC's and I'm free to drink all I want......but now I'm regretting this decision. The bags smell in one day, the catheter even smells. I hate having a bag of pee on me everywhere I go, and because I can't take antibiotics just for smelly pee(for fear of creating a superbug),I am stuck being stinky all the time. It's very frustrating and I want the mitrofanoff and bladder aug but I don't know if medicare will cover it. My bladder has shrunk so I can't just take the SP out. Soooo, does anybody else have this problem with odor and if so, how do you manage it?

Hi Buffie,
    Had the same issue till i read on cure care about cream of tartar. I have a teaspoon full mixed with water each day before work. Been perfect ever since. I'm not sure if it would work for all as i thin it depends on if you are acidic or alkaline to begin with but sure worked for me.

Comment

Decided to search for old posts after the fact and found quite a few, Thanks scurl for your reponse though.
      I guess I should have searched first. Sorry.

Comment

Buffie, would you mind summarizing what your search turned up?
        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Buffie,I use to have this same issue.You could smell it all the way through my clothes it was so strong.Even though they say it doesn't really help,I haven't had that issue since I started take Cranberry & Vitamin C each day.I truley think it's the acidity in the VitC that controls the odor.By three weeks though,it has to be changed because it starts getting funky again.

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
            Buffie, would you mind summarizing what your search turned up?

I found a lot of old posts about smelly urine. I didn't really find a lot of solutions though. I did see some suggestions that making the urine more acidic might help so I decided I'd try the cream of tartar remedy, if that doesn't work then I'll try the cranberry pills and vitamin c.

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
              Buffie,I use to have this same issue.You could smell it all the way through my clothes it was so strong.Even though they say it doesn't really help,I haven't had that issue since I started take Cranberry & Vitamin C each day.I truley think it's the acidity in the VitC that controls the odor.By three weeks though,it has to be changed because it starts getting funky again.

You can smell me the minute you enter my room. My daughter told me last night that she was tired of me making the house stink. It is awful. I don't want to go out because of it right now.

Comment

Please post what you found to work.
                Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

Buffie, just a few thoughts about the odor issue.

How much water do you drink every day?

I've found that drinking enough water to keep my urine very diluted -- so that there's barely any color to it at all -- pretty much eliminates the smell. The contrary is, of course, true -- the darker in color your urine is, the stronger and funkier the smell.

How are you cleaning your bags, and how often do you clean and change the bags, extension tubes, etc.?

How do you treat any urine accidents on bedding, clothing, etc.?
                  It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

There are many remedys that I know of. Try washing it with diluted vinegar an water. Maybe put some diluted or pure hydrogen peroxide in the bag from time to time. Diluted bleach helps but be careful about getting it on your skin and clothes.
                    You might try a crushed up aspirin in the bag.
                    I currently use M-9 but I now have a urostomy. It works pretty good but I still rinse the bag with pure bleach at least once a week.
                    Maybe one of these might work for you.

Dave
                    Last edited by reedyd; 14 Sep 2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I drink lots of water, my urine usually looks like water, I never have accidents so that's not a factor and I clean the bag about 2x week with bleach. I've ordered order controlling products and they don't work either.
                      I really don't think it's the bag or catheter, it's the urine. When draining the bag the urine smells like the most disgusting fart imagined. It makes me sick to my stomach to smell it. I am going to get some antibiotics which will clear the smell right up but I need something that will stop it from returning.

Comment

Hi Buffie, healthy urine, especially as diluted as you describe, should be virtually odourless. Do you test yours for bacteria? You can get test sticks, Multistix test for a range of relevant things, you should be able to buy them from a pharmacy. Colonised urine can be clear to look at but have bacterial colonisation and hence the smell.
                        At the risk of incurring the wrath of the nurses, I will mention that I also have a supra pubic cath but have a valve on mine that is made by coloplast, I turn it of and on to drain every couple of hours, so no leg bag. Sorry to mention it again KLD but I have NO problems with infections.

Comment

Originally posted by partygirl View Post
                          Hi Buffie, healthy urine, especially as diluted as you describe, should be virtually odourless. Do you test yours for bacteria? You can get test sticks, Multistix test for a range of relevant things, you should be able to buy them from a pharmacy. Colonised urine can be clear to look at but have bacterial colonisation and hence the smell.
                          At the risk of incurring the wrath of the nurses, I will mention that I also have a supra pubic cath but have a valve on mine that is made by coloplast, I turn it of and on to drain every couple of hours, so no leg bag. Sorry to mention it again KLD but I have NO problems with infections.
                          what kind of valve i hate this bag how much fingers and grip do u need

Comment

Hi vjls, the valve I use is a 'Simpla' catheter valve made by Coloplast. There is also one called a 'flip-flo' made by Bard. I am a T10 so have full hand use however I have carpal tunnel in both hands plus bad arthritis in both thumbs so I am not very dextrous.
                            The valve fits into the end of the foley catheter and has a lever on it that you turn on and off.
                            Is that enough info?

Comment

You may need to clean your leg bag and stoma site more often. I clean the leg bags every day with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. I clean the stoma with soap and water, then apply betadine and an antibiotic ointment, and I keep it covered with a non-stick bandage. I only experience odor problems if I don't drink enough and the urine becomes concentrated. I take a vitamin c supplement, as well, which seems to help with infections, in general.
                              "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

Working...
                              X