Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance for mitrofanoff.

hello everyone,
    i'm new here. i need advice. i'm looking into/researching the possibility of having the mitrofanoff procedure done. i'm in new york on medicaid and don't trust the hospitals here. i found a very good urologist in florida where i will be spending a lot of time soon, but not be a permanent resident. also, this doc doesn't accept medicaid. are there any insurance companies out there specific for SCI? any other ideas?

I am not clear about why you distrust all hospitals in your state, but perhaps others in NY can make a recommendation. Have you been in contact with anyone at Mt. Sinai?

Sometimes neighboring states will accept out of state Medicaid (such as NJ) but this is not common unless you can prove that the services you require are not available in your state.

Short of moving to FL and setting up residency there, I don't know of any solution for you to get surgery there. I assume you are not also on Medicare for some reason? How long have you been injured? It is rarely done prior to 12 months post injury, and much less common for males than for females. What is your level of injury?

It would be helpful if you would complete your profile.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I had mine done in NYC in 1996 w/ no issues (knock on wood)
      Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

thanks guys... i'm c5-c6. injured in '94. i'm going to be in florida 6-8 months out of the year starting in 2010 due to work. urologists on long island that take medicaid only work out of stony brook. no-one goes to stony brook unless they have a death wish. in florida, i can work with the urologist who 1st treated me, and i don't have to recover in freezing weather. very important because january/february is the best time for me.

Comment

You would have to give up your NY Medicaid and apply for Medicaid in FL (by trying to establish residency there). There are other places to go for surgery in NY beside LI....how about in NYC?

How do you work and have Medicaid? Are you Ticket-to-Work?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i am in the process of starting a new company. i have not been gainfully employed since college.
            Last edited by caleb_bartlett; 17 Aug 2009, 4:14 PM.

Comment

Caleb,
              Can I ask why you say no one goes to Stony Brook unless they have a death wish? I am a Long Islander and the one thing I miss being in Maryland is University Hospital at Stony Brook. If it were not for them, I more than likely would not be here to be asking you this question. I personally have never heard any kind of negativaty like you are referring to. There would have to have been a mighty big change since I left there. There is always one bad apple in the bunch but try not to make a judgement on that. There are other options like the nurse said such as NYC. What about Presbyterian Hospital or some of the others? I am very surprised to see such a bad comment about Stony Brook and I personally would not hesitate to bring my son there. Besides that fact, you can make some calls and find out who has experience in sci if you are not comfortable there. Of course, that is your privilege but there has to be a good doctor in New York.

Comment

Dude, contact Mt.Sinai they'e the SCI resource for the tri-state area. They do the procedure there.

My uro is from NYU. He's, in my opinion, the best.

Will you require an augmentation as well?
                Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Comment

doctors on long island for the last 5-10 years have been advising their patients away from stony brook due to many things. botched surgeries, infections, negligent staff, and other things. EMTs avoid it if at all possible.
                  i will research mt. sinai and the city. believe it or not, florida is easier logistically than the city because i have family there. also, if you'll review my opening question, the only place with urologists who accept medicaid on long island operate out of stony brook. i will research the city though and who accepts medicaid. i'm looking into getting other insurance as well. this is what sucks about health care, i have a urologist in florida who i know and trust, who has over 25 years with the mitrofanoff, and i have jump thru hoops to get the care i want. i know i'm not alone...
                  what's your uro's name?

Comment

liz, can you message me that doc's name?

Comment

done!!

Comment

thank you so much. god bless.

Comment

i had mixed success with mine at long island jewish on long island. i was penny wise, pound foolish, wanted to stay close to home for follow up care should have researched more, though outcomes are never guaranteed. it now appears my doc didn't construct the opening between the augment and the original bladder big enough, so i can't fill up evenly and quietly. that dr. has since gone to another university. dr. vapnek has since kept it under control with botox.

jonathan vapnek out of mt. sinai is worthy of an interview. he didn't do mine, but i use him now for followup. i wish i used him up front. caring man. has a web site. 212-717-9500

victor nitti of nyu is another consideration. used for testing and possible reaugment, but decided not to, reaugment is rare and risky, 646-825-6324

Jerry Blaivas, MD of nyu is another, interviewed for augment, but not used, (212) 308-6565

Comment

Working...
                          X