Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intimacy. I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail on this subject, but I did have my first intimate encounter since I got my colostomy. He knew about it before, and also I had already shown him the appliances and how they worked. I kinda of wanted to keep the bag covered while we were being intimate, but I asked him what he thought and he said that he's curious, he'd see it eventually, and he thought he'd be fine with it. So I let him see it. I didn't take the bag off for him to see the stoma though. I'm not ready for that. There were two small concerns that he expressed to me. 1) He was sad that the wafer covered my belly button. Apparently he liked seeing my belly button. I didn't know. BTW, he and I had dated for about a year and we broke up about 6 months ago but just got back together recently. So he had been with me when I did not have the colostomy. 2) He said he was worried about accidently ripping the bag off. I felt the same. I will try some different things, such as the cover Scott suggested, and I'm sure I'll find something that he and I are both more comfortable with.

As for him being grossed out by it, it was not a problem. (I made sure the bag was emtpy before. Had there been stool in the bag, it may or may not have been a boner killer.)

Comment

Blowout. I should start by saying that I ate very poorly yesterday, and on top of that, I had not passed any stool in days.

I was sound asleep this morning laying in the middle of the bed, on my back. The phone ringing woke me up and without thinking, I sort of rolled onto my stomach in an attempt to reach my phone. When I rolled back onto my back, I realized I had a blowout. I can't be certain, but I think the only reason I had the blowout was because the bag was very full and when I rolled onto it, some of it came out the side of the wafer.

Yes, it was unpleasant, but it was nothing compared to my blowouts pre-colostomy. Most of it was in the bag and so I was able to clean it up very easily. Also, it was much easier to clean up because I could see it. The old way involved cleaning up my butt, which I couldn't see or easily reach, and then cleaning up the toilet seat and then showering. With the colostomy, I just took the bag off and threw it in the garbage. Then I sat next to the toilet, cleaned up the area around the stoma with some toilet paper, and threw it into the toilet. Then I showered. It was quick and easy, which is very unlike the pre-colostomy blowouts. The blowouts I used to have really depressed me. This time it was just a minor inconvenience. Some stool did get on my pjs, and a little got on my sheets, but I just threw them in the wash.

I'm not worried about blowouts in the future. If the bag ever fills up like that when I'm awake, I'd be aware of it and I'd be sure to drain the bag or change it before it got too full. Also, I don't believe it would have leaked if I hadn't rolled onto it. And finally, I will try to abstain from going out and eating a deep fried blueberry pie at 1:00am after 3+ days of having no bowel movements!

Comment

Originally posted by StevieP View Post
        This post has been awesome I have had mine sch for Nov 11th and now have a better idea of what to expect. I am told that I will have mine higher then most have had here. Mine is going to be on the left side of my stomach halfway between my nipple and belly button. I think this is because I wear my pants above my belly button to cover my fat stomach.
        My stoma is on the left side and above my belly button. If I don't anticipate any output I can tuck the bottom of the pouch in my pants and it isn't noticeable underneath my shirt. I usually don't let my pouch get that full so when I do have output it still isn't that noticeable. An advantage of having it above your waist line (for me anyway) is that I can easily look at it if I need to. Make sure you get with an ostomy nurse before hand to discuss placement and address any of your concerns. You'll be the one having to live with it not the medical staff.

Comment

Shannon,
          Do you know if you have a temporary colostomy or a permanent one? If it is permanent the surgeon will usually staple then cut off the unused portion of the bowel and there should be no gas in the rectum.
          I have had my permanent colostomy for almost 6 years now. I had a temporary ileostomy for about a year and a half before that. The clamp the surgeon put on started coming loose and allowing stool to pass into my rectum area. Since weakness in my rectal area that prevented me from passing stool without a great effort (even with suppositories) was the reason for my surgery; this was a problem. My electrolytes went wacky and I got very sick and had the colostomy surgery.
          I would suggest keeping a close eye on what you pass rectally and getting a copy of the surgeon's report of your surgery. Did you get approved for the other site yet?

Comment

Thank you for those band aid cover things. As a para trying to be on top of someone with a bag was difficult. Sometimes I get tired and want to lay down and move a little. My arms can only last so long. That thing was at times in the way, sometimes it even hurt. Thanks for the link.
            If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
              Thank you for those band aid cover things.
              I noticed in the FAQ on the site, they listed that the will send samples.

Originally posted by Steph73 View Post
              Did you get approved for the other site yet?
              Steph ..... would you pm me the infor about that support site you mentioned?

thanks, Stephanie (feel like I am talking to myself, LOL)
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Stephanie,
                I sent you the link via pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Pruett View Post
                  The higher it is, the looser your stool will be. The colon's job is to absorb water, and the more of it that's bypassed, well... this'll likely be the case.

IMO, you just wear your pants over top of it if you wear them that high.
                  Scott I called the doctors office today and they are going to ask the doctor about some of the concerns that you mentioned. Also she said that I will have the opportunity to discuss it with the doctor a few days before I have the surgery.

I am having the type that he also closes off the bottom so I do not have mucus that comes out all of the time. He also said something about moving some blood vessels as well.

Comment

Hi everyone. Here I go, I am at Craig Hospital and I am going to start my prep for my two procduries. First a Colonoskpy and then a Colostomy.

Shannon thanks for the encouragment.

Look for my posts about this journey I will try to post from my Blackberry along the way starting tomorrow. I have no spell check so please excuse my spelling and it may be the drugs.

My Colostomy will be on Wednesday the 11th of November. (3 Days) at Swedish Hospital in Englewood Colorado.

Stevie P

Comment

Best wishes Stevie!

Are the docs letting you stay awake during the surgery?

Comment

Wishing you a textbook perfect surgery and speedy, complication free recovery, Stevie! It's great that you're going to follow in Shannon's footsteps and journal your experience -- as I told Shannon, I'm certain it will help lots of people considering/getting the procedure.
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Good luck Stevie P.
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is the link to my post /forum/showthread.php?p=1119429&posted=1
                            Enjoy my journey.

Stevie P

Comment

Wow am I a happy camper that I got this colostomy. Last night I ate a whole grapefruit before going to bed, it was delicious. I woke up about 4 this morning to find my bag full. luckily I had an extra bag that I keep next to my bed "Just in Case" along with various other supplies. Then I realized that the bag had some air in it as well. What I did not realize was that the grapefruit went right through me in a matter of hours and the filter in the bag must have gotten clogged so the gas could not escape so I decided to burp the bag. It burped alright (not to much of a mess) a few tissues took care of it. What is crazy is that I have had to change the bag three times already. If I had not had this colostomy I would have woken up to a bed full of poop and laying in it as well not to mention that I would have had two accidents in my wheelchair, what a mess it would have been, not to mention what it would have done to my mind with fear of going out.

Stevie P

Comment

Irrigation works great!

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
                                I see. My stool is like paste too. Is that a bad thing or just an annoyance because you have to change the bag so often?

I hope the irrigation works well for you! Please let us know how it goes.

(Labs truly are the best! )
                                Hi Shannon
                                I am extremely happy with how the irrigation is going. I don't think the consistency is a problem. I never have stool in my pouch because I irrigate every other day. That's the beauty of irrigating. I can go out and about worry free. I find it's easy and way less messy and time consuming than my old bowel program, plus way easier on the old butt. I change the wafer every three days just to make sure I don't have any blowouts (not that I would anyway because I don't have stool in the pouch). I never have any odor or mess between irrigating. It's the best decision I've made since my injury. The only side effect is sometimes I pee more because my bowel absorbs some of the extra water. My remedy for that is putting my legs up higher than my heart before I go to bed so that I pee it all out before bedtime. I have a nice big bolster for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
                                X