Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I'm actually the opposite and just wanted to chime in with some info to give you both sides of the story. When I had my accident I had my spleen removed and it became an abcess so they tried multiple surgeries to remove it. When they finally went "all in" and got rid of it I formed a fistula from my transverse colon to outside of my abdomen directly in the middle. It was considered a fistula but was basically the same as a colostomy. I had the colostomy bag on and expelled waste through both the fistula into a colostomy bag and via rectum. I felt gross having my fecal matter hanging in a bag in front of me. It smelled horrible when we would change it and sometimes the glue would'nt stick well and it would leak. Sometimes gas would sometimes build up in it and I would either have to release the gas and have everyone run for the hills or I wouldn't pay attention and it would build up so much that it would seperate the bag and leak on the side. I had surgery done to repair it and i'm so glad I did. I know everyone says it makes life easier and the doctors even told me that and people here would swear by it but I guess it depends on your situation. I'm a complete SCI and manually didge and I never have any accidents and I feel a lot better not having a bag hanging off of me and not having to worry about accidents. Like I said, it depends on you and your needs but I just wanted to give you the other side of the story. I wish you the best
      Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

Comment

Shannon! Good luck for tomorrow!
        I love the look of distaste on your face in the picture of you with the mag citrate.

Comment

Yaaargh!!!!! Never agin will I ever touch a glass of lemonade! Im hearing ya on the barf factor...THe very best of luck on your procedure, will be looking for the "thumbs up" when ya get back on.............

Comment

Hope it goes well, Shannon. C had a colonoscopy last week. Yuck.
            Best wishes
            - Richard

Comment

Shanoon Best of Luck w/Your Procedure

Shannon,
              I wish you the best of luck on your procedure. Hope it will be an easy procedure for you & free up your life so you don't have to do a bowel care program.

After you have the procedure please let us all know how you made out.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Got through the bowel prep yesterday. I found it was best to get a good book and sit on the toilet for a long time. As for lemon gatoraide, I will never have it again!

I had my colonoscopy this morning. Everything went well. No abnormalities. I've been admitted and they have a fluid IV in me right now. I have a private room which makes me very happy. I'm just chillin on the laptop! Almost feels like I'm on a vacation! Hoping for some morphine tomorrow even if I don't need it.

Surgery tomorrow at 9:30.

Comment

Surgery was yesterday and everything went well. Other than a headache, I have no pain at all. I'm already producing gas, so it looks like I might get to go home tomorrow! I haven't looked at my stoma yet. I'm pretty nervous about seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
                    Surgery was yesterday and everything went well. Other than a headache, I have no pain at all. I'm already producing gas, so it looks like I might get to go home tomorrow! I haven't looked at my stoma yet. I'm pretty nervous about seeing it.
                    I think your quality of life will be greatly improved!

Comment

Glad you're doing so well so soon! Here's to you returning home ASAP.

Comment

So when's the chili and beer party???.....j/k.....

Glad all has gone well so far, fingers crossed it remain so.

Comment

Glad to hear everything went well. If you have not already tuned into the United Ostomy Association discussion board, you might find it useful. I certainly have in dealing with my urostomy. You will find it at:

http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic....b634664aba8cc2

Wishing you the best.
                          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I'm glad it went well Shannon, surgery is never fun. Best wishes in your recovery.
                            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I so dread bp days.... even after I am done, I feel like shit for hours after due to mild AD from hemmroids. Been considering this myself. I am glad everything went well and you are feeling good.

Can I ask a delicate question? What do they do to the anus? Or nothing is done because things are re-routed?

Comment

Other than a headache, I have no pain at all.
                                The (only?) silver lining on that great thunderstorm of SCI.
                                I'm very glad that things went well, Shannon, and hope that it will have the effect on your QOL that you deserve.
                                - Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X