constipation..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

constipation..........

Its not the most glamorous of topics but I can not go to the bathroom to save my life. Its been well over a week. Sometimes it even is two weeks.

I have tried: magnesium citrate, high fiber diet, mucho water intake and even acupuncture.

NOTHING works. I am so bloated. What do you do when even the recipe that the ER gives you doesn't work?

I just went through all of that myself. What worked for me was the Miralax after 3 doses things took care of themselves. Before that I had tried supps, enemas, and laxative. Miralx worked for me.

In fact I was going to ask if anyone knows if u can take Miralax once every few days to keep things moving or if I shouls opt for a diff stool softner?

Comment

If all home remedies have failed, it's time to go to the ER (maybe a bowel impaction).

If this is a chronic problem, you might consider regular daily doses of Miralax. It's worked pretty well for me.
      Daniel

Comment

HI,
        I agree with the above. Are you vomitting or nauseated? If so, you may need an abdominal xray to rule out a bowel obstruction.
        Sounds alike you need a good cleaning out (eg,miralax or citrate of magnesium repeated x2). Then you have to stay on top of this with the goal of bowel program every 2 days, fluids, bran,etc. I don't advise waiting 1-2 weeks.

AAD
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanjmac View Post
          What do you do when even the recipe that the ER gives you doesn't work?
          what was the er recipe?
          cauda equina

Comment

Had similar 4 days

Mag. Citrate and forced fluids did it. Best preventions FLUIDS!!! AND GREEN VEGGIES!
            Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Comment

Yep had the same thing. Did all the protocols,went to hosp three times and put in. Finally they figured out that the lower rectum muscle had quit functioning. Had a colostomy, literally saved my life. Now no problems, dang I have so much time without worrying about if I am going to go or not, that I had to get a hobby lol.

Hope you feel better. I know tht bloated feeling, get help now.

Comment

you should try a large dose of lactulose. that's what they gave me in the hospital when i spent 1 week there because of having my whole large intestine full of stool.
                lola
                "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

Fabolite!

Try 'FABOLITE', a natural laxative with absolutely no side effects from 'Piramal Healthcare', with sufficient water. Less water will constipate you further, instead.

Sure result. I have no commercial interest in this.

I vouch for its efficacy. Try and post your reply here. Bye.
                  ammu

Comment

I stopped taking laxatives and stool softeners, was great for a month then started to get constipated. Went once every 5-7 days, changed my diet, stopped eating heavy foods like pizza or drink soda. Eat Activia yogurt for 2-3 weeks plus high fiber diet, fruits, vegetables, limit sweets and lots of water. Also any kind of movement like crawling or pushing your chair down the street helps. Now i have bowels every 2-3 days with no softeners or laxatives. I hope that helps.
                    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

Miralax should be ok for regular use. That's what they used for my son in the hospital and sent him home with a script for it for his "program". He doesn't use it now, but keeps it on hand for the times he needs it.
                      BeeBee

Comment

Thank you all. I read all the responses and I appreciate all the advice. I will try some of the above and see if it helps. I hope so........

Comment

So, if you do have a bowel obstruction, this can be life threatening. They can opt for some nonsurgical treatments, but if it's bad enough, they will want to do surgery. What they do depends on where and how it's blocked.
                          Daniel

Comment

Wow. I hope that is not the problem. I am still somewhat active (go to therapy 4X/week).
                            Sometimes i vomit and I think its because of the being constipated 100% of the time.
                            The ER told me to go home and use mag. citrate. Didn't work. I have tried it twice will real no effect or success.
                            We'll just see how the Miralax goes. Then the other one that someone listed.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBee View Post
                              Miralax should be ok for regular use. That's what they used for my son in the hospital and sent him home with a script for it for his "program". He doesn't use it now, but keeps it on hand for the times he needs it.
                              Thanks BEEBEE! I cant use it every day cause then I have the opposite problem. I plan on keeping it on hand and that way if I have difficulty with my program I can start it right away.

Comment

Working...
                              X