colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

colostomy

Hi everyone I am new here I was wondering if anyone has or knows anyone with a colostomy I will be having this surgery done soon.I have trouble with my bowels slow emptying painfull bowel movements plus both parents died of colon canser I am 56 years old been c6 quad for 17 years.

jandrain, I did a search (menu near top of page) and came up with these threads. Colostomies have been discussed many times here. Check out these threads for some answers. Best of luck.

Colostomy threads

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Jandrain, I had a colostomy done a year ago and it is one of the best things I have ever done. I dont have a sci (I have ALS...Lou Gehrigs Disease). One of the big lies about ALS is that is does not affect your bowel or bladder function, but you lose all ability to "push" and it caused me lots of trouble and discomfort. My main caregiver is my younger sister, and it has made things so much easier for both of us. I am so glad I got it done. If you have any specific questions you can PM me if you want. Good luck, and I know you will do just fine with it.

All the best,
      Mark
      Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

Comment

Jandrain, had one done, Sigmoid Loop, done in March. Had the same prob. you have. Finally had to have one done. I didn't like the idea of having one but after three months it has really helped. Took my bowel program down from 2 to 4 hours on the pot to minutes changing the bag. I have so much free time now I had to get a hobby lol. It will help immensley. Good luck. Its not much work taking care of it. I change the wafer every other day. No leaks, smells or anything. Good Luck. You're smart doing it now before the rectum quits altogether.

Comment

After 14 years of a M-W-F a.m. bowel care routine, I got one. My main regret was not getting it sooner. I think you'll find it will make your life a lot easier and a little more stress-free. If you have any specific questions ask away. There are many many helpful people on this forum.

Comment

Jandrain,
            I too am going to have a colostomy done. I am 51 yrs old and 5+ years post injury and my bowel program is every day 3 hours a day. I have tried everything available to shorten this with no luck. I still have accidents even with a routine every day. I have done a lot of research on colostomy s, on this site and many others out there. I also live close to a Veterans Administration SCI Hospital and have talked to many SCI folks who have a colostomy. The general consensus is the same... the only regret is they waited so long to get one.

The only ones who do not like them that I have heard from is those who have a ileostomy which is higher up. With this there is no formed stool so it is a bit more trouble. The only other ones who discourage a colostomy are those who do not have one and do not spend 3 hours or more everyday doing bowel care nor do they have problems with accidents.

I made my mind up that I am not going to live my life scheduled around bowel care any longer...
            lets see... 5 years x avg 3 hours a day (not counting the accidents and longer days) = 228 days or every 8 days 1 day is bowel care... That's not good.

I do not have a scheduled appointment to get one yet but I do have a consult appointment next week for the initial interview or whatever it's called with the doctor.

Keep us posted how you do and I'll do the same.

T.
            "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ~ Acts 2:38

Endtime Ministries

Comment

I wish you both luck in getting a colostomy. Make sure you understand all the different options. I think there are different areas of the colon they can use, ascending, descending, sigmoid, transverse...I don't know for sure, but some might not be conducive to irrigation, if that's the method you'd like to use for your program instead of using a bag. I don't have a colostomy, but have been pondering the idea for a while now, after reading all the posts by friends who're very pleased with having more time and less stress after their surgery. I'm also not getting any younger. Good luck guys, let us know how it all works out for you.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I recently had one done and I feel the same way, it has made life easier. Here is a link to my recent experience. Good Luck.

/forum/showthread.php?t=115483
                Mike

Comment

I am both colostomate and paraplegic. Quite adjusted already. It makes toilet life much easier. The only problem are leaks when I do rehab exercises but not that often.
                  He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
                  Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Comment

I heart (love) my colostomy. I am a L1 incomplete para. Got it at the initial injury when I broke my back and tore my rectum off my colon. I didn't have a choice. Use irrigation (enema) every other day. Doesn't register as one of my problems, except for bowel obstructions - 7 in 7 years.....

Comment

I had a total colectomy done last year and have an ileostomy and absolutely love it. At first, it was a pain to get in the habit of changing ostomy appliance every 3-4 days, but once I got into a routine, it was WAY easier than any bowel program I had been on the past couple of years. I use Hollister ostomy products and rarely have any problems with leakage. An ostomy nurse can help you find products that won't leak and are comfortable for you.
                      Now, the output from an ileostomy is looser than with a colostomy and you never know when your small intestine is gonna empty (with a colostomy, its a little bit more predictable). But, emptying the bag several times a day is no big deal.
                      Hope this helps!

Jessie

Comment

Hi, I have had a colostomy for eight years, due to a bedsore, I have MS and before the colostomy and bedsore I would have to literally run to the bathroom because I had no control of my bowels. The only problems I have had was learning what foods would give me diarrea and gas, now my bowel program takes about two minutes a day. I keep a wafer and bag close by. When I recieved my colostomy it was supposed to be reversible, but I have decided I don't want to go through the surgery.

Peace
                        stellab

Comment

Thanks everyone just got the call from the surgeon September 1st is the day for my surgery thanks for all the post.

Comment

I'd like to add a couple questions to this thread...

1. If you wear a tucked-in shirt & tie and dress pants to work, does it show?

2. Does it limit your sleep positions?

3. Does it prevent you from bending forward and picking stuff up off the floor? I picture the seal popping open, however I've never seen how it works really.

4. I like go to clubs and bounce around to music. Will a lot of movement cause it to leak?

5. Does the bag inflate with gas?

Ok, that was 3 more than a couple. I know if I could do my own BP, I'd be pretty set. But the idea of having a doctor slice me a new asshole & another bag to deal with freaks me out.
                            "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

Originally posted by Rrrrronnn View Post

1. If you wear a tucked-in shirt & tie and dress pants to work, does it show?

Depends on where the stoma is, and how tight you wear your clothes.

2. Does it limit your sleep positions?

Slightly, I don;t sleep so that I am lying directly on the bag.

3. Does it prevent you from bending forward and picking stuff up off the floor? I picture the seal popping open, however I've never seen how it works really.

Only if the bag is full. You should be emptying it before it it too full anyway. But I did learn not to pick something up off the floor, with a full bag. (I can safely lean to the other side tho)

4. I like go to clubs and bounce around to music. Will a lot of movement cause it to leak?

Can't answer that for sure, but I doubt it. It is tucked into your pants anyway, so it isn;t like it is flopping around. There are also wrap like belts that will hold the bag in position. (They would be good for disguising it under clothes as well) . Here is the first on I found w/ google, there are others. http://www.ostomysolutions.com/default.asp

5. Does the bag inflate with gas?
                              Yes, the bags I first used did, but now I use bags w/ a little filter in them, that lets gas out, but keeps any odor in.

Ok, that was 3 more than a couple. I know if I could do my own BP, I'd be pretty set. But the idea of having a doctor slice me a new asshole & another bag to deal with freaks me out.

Yea .... I can get that. Mine was an emergency, immediatly post, so I didn;t have to decide. I am glad I did, but not sure what I would have decided if I had to choose.

I answered w/in your quoted post, above.
                              Last edited by sjean423; 30 Jul 2009, 1:46 PM.
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X