Any bed sore doctors(surgeons) in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any bed sore doctors(surgeons) in Colorado

I have a stage 4 bed sore and I went to a doctor(Craig Hospital plastic surgeon) today in Colorado who gave me an ultimatum. In order for him to do surgery on me I MUST first get a colostomy then he'd perform a flap procedure. So basically a colostomy or death. There has to be other surgeons in Colorado who deal with bed sores that wouldn't REQUIRE such a drastic measure. Mind you, he is only requiring a colostomy for post operation precautions. This is too conservative for me.

I need doctors in Colorado.

Jaime
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

You know a colostomy doesn't have to be permanent...

Comment

Originally posted by canuck View Post
      You know a colostomy doesn't have to be permanent...
      According to this doctor 80% of his patient will keep it. It is only being done to protect from feces getting into the flap. CYA
      Injury date 6/10/87
      Gunshot
      C4/5 Quad

Comment

Jwr18; From what I 've read on these boards a high percentage of people who get a colostomy due to flap surgery end up keeping it because they find it is easier than dealing with a bowel program once they actually have it. When your Dr. said 80% keep it I think most is by choice not that it can't be reversed. I'm c5/6 24years post and am seriously considering one just because I think it will make my life easier. Look up colostomy under search, there are a lot of threads about it.
        Renee

Comment

Originally posted by sreneet View Post
          Jwr18; From what I 've read on these boards a high percentage of people who get a colostomy due to flap surgery end up keeping it because they find it is easier than dealing with a bowel program once they actually have it. When your Dr. said 80% keep it I think most is by choice not that it can't be reversed. I'm c5/6 24years post and am seriously considering one just because I think it will make my life easier. Look up colostomy under search, there are a lot of threads about it.
          I get that. BP runs my life and I wouldn't have to do it. But two bags, ugh!
          Injury date 6/10/87
          Gunshot
          C4/5 Quad

Comment

jwr18, from what I've learned here about flap surgery recovery, insisting that you get a colostomy first isn't being conservative, it's being practical and offers you the best chance at healing without complications.

Having the colostomy would not only eliminate the chance that any feces would enter the wound site, it would also give your incisions a better shot at healing because no one would have to mess around anywhere near your freshly stitched/stapled butt cheeks during/after bowel care. One bad bout of diarrhea and everything the surgeons just did for you would be at high risk of infection from contamination and damage to the healing incisions as the nurses work to get you cleaned up. ~shudder~

If your bowel care is already demanding, I can't understand why you'd want to have to go through suppository/mini-enema insertion, manual evac, and dig stim post surgery, when you'll be restricted to laying flat on total bed rest (no bending your hips more than 10 degrees or so) for at least six weeks.

If I were going to have to go through a flap surgery, I'd do anything and everything -- including a colostomy -- to ensure that puppy had the best chance of healing possible.
            It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Maybe SCI nurse will come along and reply...

Wishing you the best...

Take care!

Teena

Comment

Sounds like you saw one smart plastic surgeon at Craig. If the sore is close to your rectum, there is no way to successfully do a flap without diverting stool. It can be a temporary colostomy for the 6-8 weeks of recovery from the surgery and then reversed, although many find they like it so much they choose to keep it. If there are other plastic surgeons who would do your flap without it, I would want to know 1) how many flaps in that same area do they do each year on someone with SCI, 2) what is their success rate (flap still viable at 1 year). Bet it won't be as good of a record as this plastic surgeon.

Few people die from stage IV pressure ulcers. You can live many years with chronic open wounds, but of course you may not be able to sit or do the fun activities of life.

Why would you have two bags?

By the way, if you are looking for physician referrals, please post in the Physicians and Clinics forum, not on the Care forum.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

KLD, guessing, but I am thinking two bags = leg bag, and colostomy bag...just a thought...

Comment

I was not really looking for a Dr rather than advice. I am quickly being persuaded by all the members of the forum especially Chris Chappel who called me today. I am sure everyone in Colorado0 knows this Dr and would chastise me for questioning his expertise.

I need to get this fixed sooner rather than later and you guys have helped.

BTW, two bags does include colostomy and leg bag.

james
                    Last edited by jwr18; 17 Jul 2009, 2:08 PM.
                    Injury date 6/10/87
                    Gunshot
                    C4/5 Quad

Comment

Originally posted by jwr18 View Post
                      I am sure everyone in Colorado0 knows this Dr and would chastise me for questioning his expertise.
                      I don't know the doc (I'm new to Colorado), but I didn't see you as questioning his expertise as much as you just being resistant to something as seemingly extreme as a colostomy. Even though it looks as though the colostomy is your best bet in dealing with the sore and the surgery, and it's not necessarily permanent, I think your reticence is completely understandable. But whether you keep the colostomy after you're healed up or not, it does seem like it will be a big help in keeping the surgery site clean and more worry free while you recoup.

Here's to you getting back up and moving asap.

Comment

jwr18! You are So very lucky to be living in CO close to Craig hospital. I too am a c4/5 quad and I had a sore requiring a flap many years ago. Got it about a year after my initial rehab at Craig (i ignored advise re: weight shifts). Back home on the west coast a local plastic Doc assured me he could do a flap and all would be well. It wasn't and two years later I finally flew back to Craig where they had to shave off a bunch of my ischial tuberosity and do a major flap. It's been all good (with the help of a ROHO cushions) ever since. If the bag can be reversed it sounds like the way to go.
                        Good luck!

Comment

Jwr18; I apologize if you felt like I was trying to persuade you into getting a colostomy, I wasn't just wanted to let you know why most people probably end up keeping their colostomy.
                          Renee

Comment

Originally posted by sreneet View Post
                            Jwr18; I apologize if you felt like I was trying to persuade you into getting a colostomy, I wasn't just wanted to let you know why most people probably end up keeping their colostomy.

Do not apologize. I need all the advice i can get.

james
                            Injury date 6/10/87
                            Gunshot
                            C4/5 Quad

Comment

I've had a skin flap surgery on my sacrum 5 years ago and I did not have a colostomy. However, when I was trying to disimpact myself, I tore the sitches and my ps had to re sew it up. I've honestly never heard of a ps doing a colostomy before a skin flap, but honestly, it's better safe than sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X