baclofen and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baclofen and alcohol

i take 60 mg of baclofen daily. is it okay to have one drink w/this or even two..........

It is not written any place that you can't drink together with Baclofen, I just check the med. book here for the doctors. Everybody drinks on that or Lioresal.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Due to the sedative effect of baclofen, it is best if you avoid drinking alcohol at all with this drug, but if you must, limit yourself to one drink, and avoid driving afterwards.

Baclofen is the same as Lioresol. From www.rxlist.com

For professionals:
      Patients should also be cautioned that the central nervous system effects of baclofen may be additive to those of alcohol and other CNS depressants.
      For patients:
      This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy; use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Limit alcoholic beverages.
      (KLD)
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10 Jun 2009, 5:53 PM.
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ideally you should not combine the two. They both can cause cns depressive effects.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Due to the sedative effect of baclofen, it is best if you avoid drinking alcohol at all with this drug, but if you must, limit yourself to one drink, and avoid driving afterwards.

Baclofen is the same as Lioresol. From www.rxlist.com

For professionals:

For patients:

(KLD)
          But that is only in the start fase, isn't it? It is what I was told and is written in our medical books.

And for sure, with one drink, Baclofen or not, you don't drive
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

[quote=SCI-Nurse;1054342]Due to the sedative effect of baclofen, it is best if you avoid drinking alcohol at all with this drug, but if you must, limit yourself to one drink, and avoid driving afterwards.

While we are on the topic, here is an interesting Baclofen study. It ain't all bad.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/567102
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I take 100mg of Baclofen daily and drink once, maybe twice a week and have yet to have any issues.............and I like a drink when I do.

Ian

Comment

i take 100mgs too and i'll occasionally drink, but i usually get too tired before i get a buzz because alcohol increases drowsiness with this med. if i want a buzz i have to pound it, then i'm just drunk and not tired. if you have bad or only ok balance, be careful. for me, mine is ok, but just 2 weeks ago i got a little tipsy and felt very unbalanced, so i stopped drinking. i also found out that i think margaritas taste horrible. just give me my vodka and go away.
                Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
                http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                My regular blog:
                http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

frankly, and pc incorrect, yes. i used to take 60 mg bac, now 40. however, i do not take them at same time. please don't do that. most med professionals will tell you no alcohol if taking any meds...meds and alcohol are drugs. just treat them as such. if in neuro pain, as i am, it's your decision. bac and alcohol in moderate measures, and not at the same time, isn't gonna kill you.

i remember just being out of rehab, on bac, doxepin, whatever, and going out to dinner for the first time. i had a drink, in fear. it was nothing. in fact, i felt better. but again, i am not saying take them together, or close together.

btw, bac does not make me dizzy or drowsy. i wish it made me drowsy...maybe i could sleep...except i take 20 mg in a.m. and 20 mg around noon and until last yr was working and driving just fine.
                  Last edited by cass; 11 Jun 2009, 2:33 AM.

Comment

It looks like it is different recommendations in different countries. I even called my SCI doctor from Turkey to ask if I could drink on Cipro because I was so surprised the turkish doctor told me not to drink. And mine say it was ok to drink the way I do but not to go out in the sun for sunbathing a long time because of the risk of sunburn on Cipro.
                    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                      It looks like it is different recommendations in different countries. I even called my SCI doctor from Turkey to ask if I could drink on Cipro because I was so surprised the turkish doctor told me not to drink. And mine say it was ok to drink the way I do but not to go out in the sun for sunbathing a long time because of the risk of sunburn on Cipro.
                      It is different WFE. When I was in the acute hospital in Germany, one of the best, once I was out of the ICU they just preferred I'd be on as few meds as possible. Caffeinated drinks were cut off at 3 pm and I had a choice between a beer or an herbal sleep potion if needed at night. I wish we could get that godawful sleep stuff here. But since herbs can't be patented very easily ... And I could go down to the mezzanine cafe for a campari soda once I could sit in a chair. They were more worried about maintaining my bone density using a tilt table than an ounce or two of 24% alcohol sipped slowly through a straw. When spasms hit we tried upping my table time but they finally agreed to 20mg of liorasel at night. "You'll get drugged to the hilt when you get to the American rehab". They were so right.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I see so many people don't drink coffee there and have been told not to smokie sigarettes. Of course, it is bad to smoke but nobody has ever mention me smoking or drinking or eating protein powder because of SCI.

And I did not get any drugs at all the first time I was in the SCI hospital and we did not have any B&B program either. Eat a pill in the night and go to the bathroom in the morning. That's it.

10 years later I tried Baclofen and I couldn't feel any difference so when I got pregnant I stopped. I tryed again after 30 years but then I couldn't walk on it so I stopped at once. And alcohol was not mention. And the moment I stopped Baclofen, I could walk again, so I guess I have been walking on my spasms.
                        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I take 90mg a day and have no problems getting wasted on a bi-weekly basis.

Comment

Originally posted by blckchns View Post
                            I take 90mg a day and have no problems getting wasted on a bi-weekly basis.
                            Same here. I've been taking about 80mg a day over many years and never have any issues when drinking booze, even if i drink a lot on some nights. That said, it's probably different for people who are new to taking Baclofen vs people who have been on it for years. A few years ago a good friend of mine was super sore after a very rough weekend at work and he asked if he could try one of my Baclofen pills. Even though he's about 60-70 pounds bigger than me, he felt like jello from the one pill and i can take three without feeling anything. When it comes to most drugs, the more your body is used to it, the less it effects you.

Comment

Don't tell Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and other big coffee sellers that.

German hospitals do have plenty of coffee before 3pm or so but they want patients to stay on a good sleep schedule so after 3pm it's herb teas and such. Nurses only come into rooms at night if called in most wards also. Here even for simple overnight procedues RNs and techs are constantly waking up you or a roommate to take your blood pressure, pulse and temperature. Sleeping is impossible. We did have coffee in rehab though and other than warnings about not drinking more than the cath schedule allowed I never heard we were supposed to avoid coffee.

Smoking was allowed outside at my rehab but now the local hospital doesn't allow anyone to smoke even on the grounds. After being intubated I never wanted to see a cigarette again anyway. But in most of my area smoking in public places like restaurants, bars and such is against the law. Smoking is bad for everyone but especially with SCI because even as a low para it narrows the arteries and veins that carry blood to the skin so pressure sores are more likely.

Many people when first injured or those with high injuries often lose protein or don't get enough of it in normal meals. Thankfully most hospitals are allowing patients to order their own meals from the kitchen now. My first trip through NRH in 1992 I had low protein levels within 3 weeks. Talked to the dietician and suggested larger servings of red meats. She said chicken was fine <just impossible for most quads to eat> and we needed to watch our cholesterol. I asked if mine had finally jumped the 130 level. LOL My Dad's side of the family is blessed with high good cholesterol, low bad cholesterol and low overall. Their big lunch protein things were beef and soy Sloppy Joe's and also very messy for a quad to eat. So after tasting a few sips of Ensure I had my husband or friends bring me in decent sized dinners.

Yea, I didn't need a bp while over there. Here though I was put on ditropan and "you'll maintain as much bone density and the other benefits of a tilt table by sitting up 14 to 16 hours a day". Uh, no.

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
                              I see so many people don't drink coffee there and have been told not to smokie sigarettes. Of course, it is bad to smoke but nobody has ever mention me smoking or drinking or eating protein powder because of SCI.

Yea, I didn't need a bp while over there. Here though I was put on ditropan and "you'll maintain as much bone density and the other benefits of a tilt table by sitting up 14 to 16 hours a day". Uh, no.

And I did not get any drugs at all the first time I was in the SCI hospital and we did not have any B&B program either. Eat a pill in the night and go to the bathroom in the morning. That's it.

10 years later I tried Baclofen and I couldn't feel any difference so when I got pregnant I stopped. I tryed again after 30 years but then I couldn't walk on it so I stopped at once. And alcohol was not mention. And the moment I stopped Baclofen, I could walk again, so I guess I have been walking on my spasms.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X