The Malone Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Malone Procedure

After reading all the posts on problems with the bowel routine etc., I have decided to tell our story about the Malone Procedure. Our son is now 22, injured at 15, and had the Malone Procedure done in December. It is truly the biggest improvement in all of our lives. He can now be independant, (He is T7) and the surgery went off without a hitch. He stayed one night in the hospital and had to wait a couple of weeks before using the new method. It has worked great, it is a very thorough cleaning of the colon and we have not had even one problem with it. He works and goes to school full time and I am sure the peace of mind is giving him more confidence than we can imagine. We stumbled upon this procedure while considering a colostomy, and we are ever so grateful to have found the right doctor to perform this surgery on him. There are no appliances to wear on your body with this, he inserts a little tube into his belly button and hooks on an I.V. bag with 600 ml of warm water, a little salt and a little glycerin. When he is not using it you would never be able to tell he had anything done at all. The belly button looks completely normal and there are no signs of any surgery having been done. I know there are some horror stories on here about this procedure, and I really felt the need to get the word out on our story. It has truly changed the dreaded bowel routine, and we are all thrilled with the results. If anybody has questions, please ask. When I think back to using the magic bullets I shudder at the way we used to do things. This is a life changer for us and I hope others will read it and maybe use the information to make their own lives easier. We live in Ohio and if anyone needs more information on doctors etc., please let me know. Sorry for the long post but I felt like this needed to be said. : ) Thanks.

I've never heard of this. Your bm comes out your belly button?
    sigpic

Comment

No, it comes out the rectum. It is flushed out of the colon via a tube inserted into the belly button. The water solution runs through the tube and through the colon and out. It is so much simpler and a much more thorough cleaning out than we got using the magic bullets. No worry with accidents afterward, it is such an improvement over the previous method.

Comment

Who did the procedure?

Comment

Thanks for sharing that story about your son. That must feel so great to gain that freedom and control.

Comment

Hmmm. An enema through the belly button. No problems with backup, leakage, or gas?
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

It was done by a doctor in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is a colon/rectal surgeon who does surgery at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, even though my son is considered an adult. His name is Dr. Levitt. There are absolutely no problems with backup, leakage, or gas. There have been no problems whatsoever. That is why I felt I needed to share this, we are surprised to know that such an option is available and yet we just learned of it. We wish we had known sooner.
              Last edited by cameljoe; 19 Apr 2009, 5:11 PM.

Comment

How long is your son's BM cameljoe? Can you give an estimate compared to using the magic bullet?
                thanks, glad you son is happy with the procedure
                Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Oh my that gave me the heeby jeebys (msp).
                  It's sounds like ya'll love it and it works great but it makes my stomach flip.
                  Sorry just something new.
                  sigpic

Comment

Here's an old CC thread on this subject:

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5722
                    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

It still takes 40-45 minutes total. But another good thing is that you don't have to eat/drink something prior and then wait, no suppository then wait, etc. No worries about eating foods that may tend to give you some constipation, and no worries about whether or not you will get results. That reduction in stress is priceless too!

Comment

There is a clinical trial on "Percutaneous Colostomy for Bowel Management in Spinal Cord Injury". I don't know if it's the same, it sounds similar.
                        http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/s...injury&rank=40

Purpose
                        We want to know if placing a tube through the skin and into the colon to flush out the colon is safe and effective in helping spinal cord veterans with bowel management....

Detailed Description:
                        • Objectives: This Quality of Life (QoL) outcomes project studies the ability of Percutaneous Colostomy (PC) to clinically benefit Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) patients' bowel management and, thereby, their lives. This project runs under an umbrella IDE. Specific objectives include: Safety: Monitor adverse events, especially for any evidence suggesting that use of PEG devices (high risk device) for PC might pose an unreasonable risk. Efficacy: Prospectively evaluate the ability of a PEG device to successfully function as a PC; a PC to work in its clinically indicated application; the application to yield clinical benefits; and the clinical benefit to impact QoL. Technical Questions: Seek insights on the use of Fluoroscopy and Re-Colonoscopy in PC placement.
                        • Research Design: In this 36-Month unblinded intervention trial, each SCI subject serves as his or her own control. Using a commercially available PEG tube, PC is placed colonoscopically, typically into the cecum. Technically, PC is directly analogous to PEG. Pre-and post-PC bowel function and QoL will be defined and compared. This will be the first rigorous prospective trial of endoscopic PC, especially for antegrade irrigation in SCI adults. This project is intended to be foundational, laying the groundwork for a variety of future studies.
                        • Methodology: Subjects are drawn from the general SCI population at Zablocki VAMC. These patients have already been pre-screened for prevalence of bowel dysfunction, compliance, interest in research participation, and specific case finding. We will mail a 7-Day Diary of bowel management to the 111 potential subjects that we identified as having bowel management significantly impact their QoL. Successful completion of the 7-Day Diary will serve as a secondary compliance screen and define baseline bowel function. If the subject is interested in PC, additional evaluations, including psychological testing and QoL instruments, will be undertaken pre-PC. Subsequent re-evaluation with these same instruments will allow determination of physiological efficacy and impact on QoL. Additional characterization of each subject may also allow us to retrospectively define predictors of success related to bowel motility, clinical characteristics, psychosocial factors, etc. Underlying this Outcomes study is a standard Safety and Efficacy evaluation of the PC procedure, itself. Details of technical aspects of implantation, risk attenuation strategies, and data monitoring / reporting are outlined in cooperation with the FDA. This IDE covers 25 patients but only under the direct supervision of Drs. Otterson or Berger and only at the Zablocki VAMC.
                        • Clinical Relationships: The potential clinical impact of PC is large. There are 45,000 SCI veterans and 200,000 SCI patients across the country. If our sample is representative, 20% or more of these may benefit from PC. The secondary impact on healthcare costs, caregiver burden, and even employability is yet to be determined.

see also:
                        https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76599
                        Last edited by ThomasB; 20 Apr 2009, 3:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the story. to add to rdf's questions, does your son do his routine in his comodde chair or in bed and can he go in a pool or ocean? just asking because i'm a diver.

Comment

He sits on the commode chair rolled over the regular toilet. And yes he can swim anytime he pleases. Hope this helps!

Comment

thanks cameljoe. to add to rdj's question, does your son sit up in the commode for his routine or in bed? also, can he go in a pool or ocean?

Comment

Working...
                              X