No announcement yet.

Is this a pressure sore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't lay prone but can use pillows to keep my heel off the mattress but like I said my leg comes off the pillow during the night. Guess I will buy some type of heel protector to wear to bed Hate the thought of not wearing shoes my foot won't stay on the foot pedals and I can just see me smashing my toes on doorways or my dogs constantly trying to lick my toes lol. Maybe I can cut the heel out of a pair of old shoes or buy some sandals with a strap. I go to my PCP Saturday so will see if he thinks its a pressure sore or deep tissure sore. Thanks for the response.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Zero, How is your heel doing?

I had this similar looking thing on my toe, that I finally got to see for myself last Thursday. It's a lot more disturbing when you see it, than when your nurse just mentions it!

So I went to the doctor Friday. Before I show you the "after" picture, I'd like your diagnosis. Is it a DTI? I've never had any other pressure sore in 23 years of SCI. But this is my third time with this one spot. It seems to come back every 6 months. I bought bigger, softer shoes last time, but it apparently didn't help.

What do you think, nurses?
      (I'm assuming I'm not hijacking the thread if Zero's issue is resolved.)
      Last edited by dnvrdave; 04-18-2009, 01:01 AM. Reason: Smaller pic
      "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

My spot is definitely a pressure sore, as SCI Nurse indicated. There's been no change, which I guess is a good thing since it hasn't broken open or anything. I've been doing a combination of wearing a PRAFO, elevating it with pillows, and sleeping on my side to keep pressure off it.

Interesting, your spot looks the same as mine, a dark patch ringed with lighter skin. I guess we know what to look for, eh?

Comment

if sci wasn't involved, it would look like an old blood blister to me.
          Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
          http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
          My regular blog:
          http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I have had a couple heel sores like that. For me, the cause turned out to be the mattress or other leg at night when in bed. Since I started putting a pillow under the bottom one and a foam pad between my lower legs, I have never had as much as a red spot.
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

It is difficult to diagnose something through a picture where you can't touch it, and really look closely at it. I would say that it is a DTI.
              CKF
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Here's my toe after the podiatrist, a non-SCI doc. He hadn't thought of the term "pressure sore" before, but said it was probably accurate. He drained it, and said it was full of pus, and sent it for a culture (or to identify the type of bacteria). I asked what the black part was, and he said, "Pus!" But as one of you guessed, my nurse, an LPN who sees it 5 days a week (for 15 years!) says it was originally a blood blister, probably caused by an impact to the callous part.

I told the doc not to debride it, because a nurse here at CC had said that. My nurse says the doc not only drained it, but he also cut away most of the callous, which my nurse thinks is a good thing.

The doc said to put neosporin and a band-aid twice a day. I do once a day because I only have help in the morning. He also prescribed Bactrim (oral antibiotic), but I never filled the prescription because the toe looked so good right away; and I'm taking a homeopathic remedy that my Homeopath said would probably work on it.

Now, one week later, there is A LOT of skin flaking off. My nurse says to leave it alone. Pulling on it would only make it bleed and possibly get reinfected.

My goal is to help it heal well, and prevent it from happening a fourth time. I plan to wear the open toed shoe for a while longer, and tilt my chair all the way back for a few minutes every afternoon to reduce the swelling that occurs every day (I'm up for 18 hours a day). These are two things I didn't do 6 months ago when this happened because I thought the new wider, softer (SAS) shoes I bought would solve the problem for good.
                "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

Your toe looks much better so whatever you are doing seems to be working! Trying to keep the swelling down and the area clean and moist are the best things that you can do right now.
                  CKF
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

An update on my original post here. I've done a pretty good job of keeping pressure off the wound, and it has healed up pretty good. Shortly after my original post, the wound started sloughing off a layer of skin each time after I soaked it in the tub. I was careful not to pull at the skin, I just let it dry up and flake off naturally. After several layers of skin came off, there was one particularly thick layer right over the original dark spot. It dried up and fell off, and underneath it was a layer of healthy, albeit rather thin, skin. I'm still keeping pressure off it when I can but I think the danger of an open wound has passed. I'm just glad I noticed it when I did. The whole experience has been a wake up call to keep a closer eye on potential trouble spots.

Comment

Nice to hear Zero. Good job!
                      "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Comment

yay!

Frank's blog:
                        My regular blog:

Comment

If you are looking for a foot/heel protector while in bed, you may want to trysome of the products at this link: http://www.elderdepot.com/customer/h...FQkzawodXX_pqw

I have been using something similar to this for almost 2 years, and it has kept my feet free from pressure sores while in bed. Very reasonably priced, and they stay on your feet so you don't have to worry about your legs moving and disturbing pillows.

Comment

Glad to hear how well things are progressing, Zero. Sounds like you're doing everything right, especially letting the dry skin flake off at its own pace. As tempting as it may be at times to help a flake that looks like it's 99 percent free already along, the last thing you need is to develop a tiny open spot because that last 1 percent was attached more securely than it looked.

Keep up the good healing!
                            It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Originally posted by Zero View Post
                              The whole experience has been a wake up call to keep a closer eye on potential trouble spots.
                              Yeah, I hear that! Now, I get my aide to use a mirror or take a picture of anything suspicious, so I can see it and be appropriately alarmed into action.

Zero, can you post a recent picture? Not that I have a heel fetish, but it would help to understand your description better.

Comment

i do. i love zero and his heel sore.

Frank's blog:
                                My regular blog:

Comment

Working...
                                X