Temporary Colostomy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Colostomy?

I need some advise on getting a temporary colostomy. The plastic surgeon is going to close a wound on the inside of my thigh in the groin area very low. He is recommending that I gat a temporary colostomy to prevent any infection after the surgery while it heals.

I will be on my back, no sitting for six weeks. I am 64 and paralyzed from the waist down. I have an appointment with the colostomy surgeon Monday. I have been reading all the past posts on the forum and making a list of questions.

I am having a hard time justifying two major surgeries to help a relative less invasive surgery. I know the surgery could fall apart if the wound gets infected. Is there any dressing that could be used that would seal the wound after surgery while it is healing?

One other question. Do you have to do the same prep for a colostomy as you do for a colonoscopy? If so I risk many more chances of infection before the surgery, by doing the clean out.

Thanks, Mike
    Mike

This is very commonly done. Some even decide to keep the colostomy permanent. It is relatively easy to put back together.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

One other question. Do you have to do the same prep for a colostomy as you do for a colonoscopy?
      Mike

Comment

yes..

Comment

It would seem that I risk many more chances of infection to the wound site before the surgery, by doing the clean out. Sort of a catch 22, the prep for the colostomy could cause the infection the doctor was hoping the colostomy would prevent after the surgery.
          Mike

Comment

I'm in the hospital now. Admitted on 2/20 for prep, colonoscopy on 2/23, and colostomy on 2/25. I feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons. Education was the key. More later...

Comment

doingtime, I hope your surgery was successful and you have a speedy recovery. I know from reading the forum that many members prefer the colostomy. Thank you for your input.

Is the reason for your colostomy to prevent contamination for a wound surgery?

For the SCI nurse, how do you prevent contamination to a wound when someone is doing the prep for a colostomy?
              Mike

Comment

I think the dangers would be greater, doing it over and over after the surgery, than just on longer period pre surgery.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

There are bags you can use but you need to cover the wound well and monitor it frequently and change the dressing more often.

cWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
                    I'm in the hospital now. Admitted on 2/20 for prep, colonoscopy on 2/23, and colostomy on 2/25. I feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons. Education was the key. More later...
                    I wish you a speedy recovery & hope that you get go home real soon.
                    Glad to read that you feel fine and think the pros surely outweigh the cons.& that education was the key.

Comment

Originally posted by OLDSAILOR55 View Post
                      doingtime, I hope your surgery was successful and you have a speedy recovery. I know from reading the forum that many members prefer the colostomy. Thank you for your input.

Is the reason for your colostomy to prevent contamination for a wound surgery?

For the SCI nurse, how do you prevent contamination to a wound when someone is doing the prep for a colostomy?
                      Thank you very muck oldsailor & rafs for the warm wishes. The recovery has been very minimal. As soon as I have a more solid BM, I'll be going home where it's much easier for me to post so stay tuned for the thread.

The reason wasn't because of a wound, but rather a more stress-free lifestyle change after researching it and hearing about all the positive feedback on this site.

Comment

OLDSAILOR, a temporary colostomy in your situation is common, probably the route least likely to infect your wound while it heals. Good luck with it.

DoingTime, I'm glad you got r done, all the best while healing, looking forward to hearing about it when you get home. Hey did they use Go-Lightly, or Fleet phospho-soda, or something else to clean you out?
                        get busy living or get busy dying

Comment

Originally posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
                          Thank you very muck oldsailor & rafs for the warm wishes. The recovery has been very minimal. As soon as I have a more solid BM, I'll be going home where it's much easier for me to post so stay tuned for the thread.

The reason wasn't because of a wound, but rather a more stress-free lifestyle change after researching it and hearing about all the positive feedback on this site.
                          Doingtime,
                          Thanks for thanking me I appreciate it. Glad to hear the recovery has been minimal. Please let me know when you go home & will give you a shout. I had a good nice chat the other night about colostomy surgery with ChrisChappell who posts here on CC. His Avatar has the two different colored Pugs. He said one is named Charlie & the other is named Stella. He also has a black labrador retriever. He lives in Littleton Colorado which is near Denver. Take care & again I wish you a speedy recovery.
                          Take care my friend.

Regards,
                          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by quadvet View Post
                            DoingTime, I'm glad you got r done, all the best while healing, looking forward to hearing about it when you get home. Hey did they use Go-Lightly, or Fleet phospho-soda, or something else to clean you out?
                            Thank you very much, I should be home as soon as I start putting out firmer stool. I'll then give a full report in another thread. Prep was mag citrate, go-lightly, and an enema.

Comment

Glad your surgery is over doin. Bummer you have to be in the hospital, though. Is there anyway one can have a colostomy and recover at home instead of in the hospital? I'm sure your colostomy will end up being a blessing to you. Take care and good luck friend.
                              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X