Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking probiotics and antibiotics concurrently

I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
      And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Currently taking Levaquin for a rare UTI .. I think it's especially important to take probiotics now!

In fact I've been feeling sluggish and dragging when I realized I wasn't drinking my Dan-Activ ... felt better within two days.
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
          Take the probiotics three hours prior! Same time = pointless!
          Is that the best plan, then, 3 hours prior? What about x number of hours later?

Comment

I had great success preventing diarrea taking probiotics 2-3hrs before & and 2-3hrs after antibiotics.
            "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

Comment

thanks guys even tho I read that anti-biotics are likely to make probiotics less effective instead of vice versa I still wanted to hear your experiences cause I don't want to take more of the antibiotics than I have to!

Comment

when i had that staph and picc line they were giving me these super antibiotics, i managed not to even once have a loose stool by eating a ton of all natural yogurt daily
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by thehipcrip View Post
                  I think it's not only a good idea to take probiotics with antibiotics, but an essential one.

I ended up with a case of c. diff after treating a UTI with Augmentin, which had always wreaked havoc on my intestines but never before to that extent. Since that nasty experience, I now do everything I can to make sure that the antibiotics I take don't get an opportunity to throw my digestive tract out of whack.

--THC
                  what exactly is c. diff and what are the symptoms?

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                    thanks guys even tho I read that anti-biotics are likely to make probiotics less effective instead of vice versa I still wanted to hear your experiences cause I don't want to take more of the antibiotics than I have to!
                    Antibiotics kill a lot of the bacteria in your stomach as well as where you have an infection. The probiotics will replenish the healthy stomach bacteria needed for proper digestion. Taking probiotics before antibiotics or after will certainly not hurt anything.

The main thing is to take the probiotics after you have completed the antibiotic prescription to help restore proper digestion.

Comment

Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                      I searched to find the consensus on this but there's mostly links to questions about if it's ok. I found this as the most authoritative resource. Do you guys take them together when you have a uti? The hospital gave me a klebsiella uti from a cystogram and I'm taking macrobid. thanks.
                      The time I had a cystogram and urodynamics I made the urologist give me a 500mg Cipro just before each, to murder any bugs before they got a chance to do their thing.

When I was recently in the hospital with a foley, I did the same. I didn't get any uti's and I figure that's why. Good luck Les, probiotics can't hurt while on a course of antibiotics, but can surely help.
                      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

wchair, c. diff (shorthand for clostridium difficile) is a bacteria that can get into your colon and cause problems if antibiotics you're taking kill off the helpful bacteria that are normally present. The only real symptom of c. diff is persistent diarrhea (ocurring at least three times a day for at least two days in a row). The diarrhea may occur as early as during treatment or as far out as weeks after treatment with antibiotics end.

The only way to diagnose c. diff is by performing a culture on a stool sample. In some cases, your system can retore its natural balance just by stopping the antibiotic that caused the problems. For more severe cases, treatment consists of taking either Flagyl or Vancomycin, two strong antibiotics.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-d...CTION=symptoms

In my case, the diarrhea lasted for just over a month (including two weeks after finishing treatment for it) and I wasn't able to get any symptom relief from kaopectate or Pepto Bismol. (Most docs believe that you should not take Immodium because it will trap the bad bacteria inside your body for longer periods of time.)

--THC
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Jesus, that must be Hell, thanks for info... sorry you had to go through that

Comment

Les good luck getting rid of the UTI.
                            Something I read on line:
                            If you drink water with chlorine it ruins the probiotics.
                            I got a filter on my tap.
                            Saying a prayer for you. {hugs}
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rdf View Post
                              The time I had a cystogram and urodynamics I made the urologist give me a 500mg Cipro just before each, to murder any bugs before they got a chance to do their thing.

When I was recently in the hospital with a foley, I did the same. I didn't get any uti's and I figure that's why. Good luck Les, probiotics can't hurt while on a course of antibiotics, but can surely help.
                              I got too cocky re uti's, I should have asked! live and learn.

Thanks all, I'm eating yogurt and taking the probiotics so I'm a ok; I'm actually taking the probiotics for the bacteria issue in my mitro stoma. Mona I hadn't heard that I do have a filter and will make sure I use only that faucet.

Comment

Working...
                              X