HELP! i am in the hospital with pneumonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! i am in the hospital with pneumonia

i am a c6 quadriplegic, had a simple cold , the first in the 5 years since my accident, and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.for the last two weeks. i feel like i am going through hell, terribly weak. i cannot caugh the mucus up at all and they need to to a bronchioskopie - pretty nasty procedure - every day, and still then the mucus is often bugging me to the point i think i cannot breath any more. i am on oxygen all the time.
    one of the doctors was nice enough to give me a laptop tonight. so please answer fast, my friends.
    you can try calling me here too. i am in germany, university hospital freiburg 011 49 761 270 75163. regine, in really pittyful shape

I was at Zentral Klinikum-Augsburg for 6 weeks ICU-acute Neurologic ward. I had to go through the lung suctioning then too. Ask if they can give you a shot of liquid diazepam before suctioning. It helps a lot. Stay away from foods and drinks that cause more mucous like diary and beer. Try to drink as much hot tea as possible and are they treating you with a mucous thinner like Guaifenex PSE 120? Tell the doctor to look it up at www.rxlist.com. And believe me, you are likely to get through it better in a German Hospital than an American one. We carpet and vacumn patient rooms instead of disinfecting twice a day. Oh, have they cultured the mucous so you're on antibiotics? Good luck Regine!
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 23 Feb 2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

No advice, but I hope you get well soon.

Comment

If they do a bronchoscopy they can see if you have any mucus plugs and remove them.
        Hope yo feel better soon!
        CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

sorry your sick, hope you feel better soon.

Comment

make sure they check your skin for pressure
            Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Did they give you any antibiotics? Keep turning side to side every 2 hours
              or less. Have someone pat you're back. Hot tea is good to drink too.

Comment

So sorry you are ill, and I am hoping you feel better very soon!

Comment

Sorry you're sick! Get well fast! God bless you!
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm a c6/c7 quad, and I can't cough properly. I had pneumonia right after my injury. What I found helped was to lie with the bed tilted so my head was lower than my feet. Gravity helped get the mucus moving out of my lungs into my throat so I could cough it up better. Even if they just put a pillow under my butt (not all beds tilt in the right direction) it helped somewhat.

Hope you feel better soon,

Jill

Comment

I agree with Sue and Jill. Tilt the bed down and keep on hot fluids to get mucous out. Cough assists are great: have someone help you expell that crap out by pushing down below sternum where your diaphragm is as you cough (count to three). Turning is helpful, don't let mucous stagnate there. mucomist nebulizers helped me break it up too. I'm praying for you.

Comment

They need to find the correct antibiotic for the type of bacteria that's infecting your lungs. I'm sure they've done a C&S (Culture & Sensitivity) on your sputum and by now hopefully got you on the best antibiotic. As soon as the infection gets under control your breathing will get better. I know it's scary when it gets hard to breathe. I once had a very bad respiratory infection and my lungs felt like a couple of bricks in my chest. I've been there and survived and so can you. Hang in there Regine... one breath at a time.

Bob.
                        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

do they have the machine there they can wrap around you and it vibrates and helps to looses up secretions?
                          CWO
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            do they have the machine there they can wrap around you and it vibrates and helps to looses up secretions?
                            CWO
                            Never even heard of this one CWO. And not to insult our nurses but here in the US they spend half their time stuck charting every pill and bandage. Over there Regine can press the call button when she needs a quad cough assist and an RN or tech will be right there. Instead of a machine she'll probably be rolled to her stomach for a bit then have a respiratory therapist manually bang on her to clear her lungs. And bedsores are rather rare also. Just the vaguest signs of one are aggressively treated. After I was transferred to the neuro ward from the ICU my regular nurse noticed a slight crack at the top of my, well, crack. 12 opinions, 3 treatments and 4 days later they agreed to my treatment: moisturizer. My skin used to get dry there even as an AB and crack. A day of Nivea later and it was no longer open. A few more days..totally gone.

Regine, I know how painful and scary those suctionings are. Does the hospital have a respiratory therapist your doctor has called in? If not, ask if they can call one from a rehab facility in Bayreauth or Murnau and ask how best to treat you besides the things they normally do for able bodied patients. Get well soon. Oh, if you are taking one of the bladder medicines like oxybutynine chloride ask if it might be better to use a foley catheter and stop the medicine for a little while. Bladder medicines can also make mucous thicker. Your doctor would be the best to decide that though.

Sue
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I am back from the hospital since Monday. It was very tough to go through all this. And I still feel extremely weak, almost no energy. It took me till yesterday to sit in my chair without fainting (bloodpressure had gone down), I have very little appetite, major anxiety periods after waking up in the morning, and I am terribly scared now everytime I feel a little mucus in my throat. It's a scary thought that every cold will lead to this problem, because I really can't caugh on my own. How do other quads deal with this problem? What do you do to prevent colds and what do you do if you get one? I was realy lucky, since this was the first cold I got in the 5 years since my injury.

Comment

Working...
                              X