Alcohol and UTIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and UTIs

Does alcohol make us Scis more susceptible to Uti? Four days ago I got extremely drunk. I dont drink too often. I self cathed twice that day which is the norm for me. I made sure my hands were clean and all. I drank alot of water that night also. The next day I felt fine, no hang over. Two days later I began to get fever and the chills. Today, which makes it four days since I got wasted, I was told by my urologist that I have a Uti. I use to catch Utis frequently until I started taking cranberry pills, Vitamin c pills, and multi vitamins. It makes me wonder if The Uti was caused by the alcohol. I really appreciate any and all feedback on this matter. Thanks.

I'd have them all the time if so, and I rarely ever get one. It's possible the alcohol made you less careful when you did the cath though.
    Andrew

Comment

alcohol also DEHYDRATES your body
      drinnk water w/ your booze
      Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Hi,

I dont think there aer any major studies showing that alcohol increases your risk for UTI, though antecdotally I hear people say both that drinking alot of alcohol does them more UTI's and others that say drinking a beer daily helps them ward of uti's.

So, again, everyone is different. If you find this repeatedly, I would avoid drinking alot of alcohol. Remember, drink lots of water after alcohol and everything in moderation is a good rule to live by!
        AAD
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321 View Post
          alcohol also DEHYDRATES your body
          drinnk water w/ your booze
          good advice

Comment

Working...
          X