Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people in wheelchairs live longer than normal people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do people in wheelchairs live longer than normal people?

I know its a stupid quistion but as quads and para do we live longer or shorter than walking ppls.Off what does most quads die

shorter lives. mainly I think uti and pressure sores, or autonomic dyrsreflexia, suicide.

Comment

Shorter from what I heard approximately 10yrs shorter then average.
      Health deterioration most likely the cause.

Comment

Statistically, it is common for those with SCI to have a somewhat shortened life-span, and how much varies on by the age at injury, level and completeness of injury. Here are some statistics you can look at related to that. Keep in mind that this is historical data, and averages, so it would be expected that those injured recently would exceed these numbers, esp. if you take care of yourself, get annual check-ups, etc.

For those with SCI, esp. tetraplegia, pulmonary (breathing) problems are the most common cause of death. This is primarily pneumonia and ARDS. Next is sepsis.

We currently have an outpatient who has been injured for 40 years who is 93, so it certainly is not an automatic that you will die young.

I am moving this to the Care forum.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It just seems longer
          Doh!

Comment

Have made it 14 years after my car accedent and am 54 years old.
            T6 complete

Comment

Do normal people not use wheelchairs?
              Really I get what you are asking. My health has declined severely in 3 years and I am fairly active and eat well. I blame the chair. I would be glad to still be alive at 90 something but I don't see how it is possible.
              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                Statistically, it is common for those with SCI to have a somewhat shortened life-span, and how much varies on by the age at injury, level and completeness of injury. Here are some statistics you can look at related to that. Keep in mind that this is historical data, and averages, so it would be expected that those injured recently would exceed these numbers, esp. if you take care of yourself, get annual check-ups, etc.

For those with SCI, esp. tetraplegia, pulmonary (breathing) problems are the most common cause of death. This is primarily pneumonia and ARDS. Next is sepsis.

We currently have an outpatient who has been injured for 40 years who is 93, so it certainly is not an automatic that you will die young.

(KLD)
                Thanks for sharing the article. I still find it hard seeing those numbers at times though, C2 injuried at 23.
                And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed ... Dr. Seuss - Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Comment

I don't know any normal people.

Comment

93 is old,wonder if i would make it.......

Comment

i dont know if i would want to make it. lol 93 is hard on ab people in itself. add the sci to it and i dont know if the quailty of life at that age would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)

Those stats are haunting, I expected it to be longer. Bummer

Comment

one good thing is peoples who get to 93 need wheelchairs,by that time i would be well trained in my wheelchair,just kidding

Comment

When I get to 93 they'll probably have wheelchairs that hover. Yeah right!!

Comment

imagine falling out of your chair while hovering,ahhhhh

Comment

Working...
                              X