Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling asleep continously

Hello,

I know that it has been discussed already but...

I'm tired all the time. I can sleep 12 hrs and still be tired once I get up.... I sit on the computer to get work done and fall asleep....

Blood work came good... Blood pressure is always low (90s/50s) I take 5mg ditropan and 40mg Baclofen.... But need to remain awake to achieve things!

My memory is also getting bad, can't properly concentrate, and get a headache when I snap out of these spontaneous "naps".

My MD just referred me to a neuro, will schedule appt. but wonder if anyone experienced this, and how they "fixed" it?

Thanks
    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

I also feel lethargic all day. I donĀ“t move much and stopped excercising, but feel tired most of the time. I think it is probably lack of excercise, eventhough before, when I excercised a little, I felt pretty much the same.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Get checked for sleep apnea.

Comment

canuk,

While I no longer discard options, I hesitate to think it is apnea as:

1. My BP is low, not high
        2. I hardly snore (I'm told)
        3. I sleep on my side, with my head elevated

I'll look into it anyhow... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Polett
          I hesitate to think it is apnea as:
          1. My BP is low, not high
          2. I hardly snore (I'm told)
          3. I sleep on my side, with my head elevated
          High blood pressure is not a significant risk factor for sleep apnea. Many people with sleep apnea never snore. It is very possible to have sleep apnea sleeping on your side or even on your stomach.

If you have a SCI, you are at relatively high risk for sleep apnea. Only a sleep study can determine if this is happening with you. Do you ever wake up in the AM with a headache? This is common in sleep apnea. Obesity is a major risk factor as well.

When you say you had your blood work done, what labs were tested? Did you have a TSH level done? Have you been worked up for thyroid deficiency?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse

When you say you had your blood work done, what labs were tested? Did you have a TSH level done? Have you been worked up for thyroid deficiency?

(KLD)
            As always, thanks for the replies.

According to my Dr., she tested for everything as I had been complaining about this for a while. She said thyroids looked good, go home.... She even said that BP was not dangerously low for which she did not feel the need to med me.

As for waking up with a headache, yes I do when I stay in bed for 12hrs or more (Sundays if I'm lucky)... When I dose off throught the day, I get headaches; and should I dare take a nap, I wake up in a terrible mood and a headache for sure. In fact, headaches & migranes are very common in me.

I guess I should ask the neuro for an apnea eval? What else?

Comment

At the very least, take a high potency Vitamin B complex after eating breakfast.

It will help convert food to energy.

What is your daily food intake consist of?
              And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

Could be the bacofen, its low, but you could just be intolerant.

Comment

Patonb might be on to something. I could not tolerate baclofen. It put me into a state of depression. I cried and slept all the time while taking it.

Hope you find the root of your problem soon.

Comment

Polett,
                    I also woke up never feeling refreshed, even after sleeping 14 hours and napping during the day, and often with headaches. I am thin, am told I rarely snore, have a slender neck, and don't typically sleep on my back. Fortunately a boyfriend tipped me off that he noticed I would stop breathing during my sleep. Yep, lo and behold, I suffer from severe sleep apnea. Since getting my CPAP machine I have more energy, have given up my naps, and no longer wake up with the headaches. Too bad it took me 13 years to figure out the culprit. I wish you the best of luck figuring out what your problem is.

Comment

I've been having the same problem. Never in my life was I able to nap. For the last year or so I've been falling asleep for hours every day, in varying inconvenient places. It does really screw things up.

I asked my pharmacists to change the source ingredients of my 4-AP, and that helped some. I continue to fall asleep, but not with the same intensity, and not with the sort of hallucinations I was having. So could you be having a reaction to something you're taking?

I also did an adrenal stress panel. I don't know if very mainstream doctors do this, or use very mainstream test that maybe don't show problems. But my test showed I was dumping cortisol in the morning and then producing absolutely none in the afternoon or early evening. So I've been taking a sustained release cortisol and that has helped some also (though I know cortisol, at least excess cortisol from stress, contributes to abdominal fat, which I could live without). My doctor says adrenal problems are not uncommon for us neurologically impaired folks.

But neither change has totally solved the problem. I still can fall asleep on a dime, though it is less of an inexorable hammer to the head. So I'd love to know if you come up with anything else. I know fatigue is a common MS symptom, but I've carried that useless diagnosis for 16 years without ever having this tiredness, which started very markedly when I took a new antibiotic in 2007, and has persisted as I discussed above since then.

I also had bad orthostatic hypotension previously -- clocked at 72/58 standing, and fainted at my tilt table test -- and that made me feel weak and breathless but not exhausted like this. I had surgery to fix it and my BP is now pretty normal, and this tiredness started while I've had normal BP for years.

Are you anywhere near injury? After my car accident years ago I slept 12 to 15 hours a day, just because my body needed that to heal. It was great for my skin too, though I imagine micro-dermabrasion via windshield might have helped as well

Comment

I haven't had the problem of chronic fatigue but I have noticed since divesting my diet of most "red meat" and fowl protein sources and filling the holes with more fruit and a lot more vegetables, that my energy level has increased tremendously. I need little sleep and probably log at most five hours a day and a nap of an hour to an hour and a half refreshes like four hours used to. I don't mean any of what I'm relating to be an inditment of terrestrial meats; rather to underscore the benefits of a high veggie and seafood diet.

Also, I started including miso stew (fermented soy with rice and/or barley) in my diet to the tune of at least a meal a day. The fermented soy is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and of veggie protein although its concentration isn't high enough to count it sufficient to more than about 10 - 15 % daily protein needs. I go into more about miso here.
                        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I've had sleep apnea for 15 yrs now, my wife made me sleep in the suburban on a camping trip cause she thot I was gonna died in the tent(We hadn't been sleeping in the same room cause not only did my snoring keep her awake, it woke the neighbors. We all slept w/ open windows in the summer).
                          I was warned by the Dr to watch the kids because it is VERY inherited. And one doesn't have to be heavy, my poor kids all inherited my narrow nasal passage ways, into the ears too. They all had recurring ear problems growing up. Good luck

Comment

Hi ever1,

Sorry I was gone for a few days...

Lets see:

- I thought about Baclofen and have lowered dosage to 30 mg a day. I know I take it wrong, but I do 10mg in the am, and 20 before bedtime.

- Switch out of Ditropan into the patches Oxy-Trol?

- Will definitely get a referral to the Pulmonoligst to see about Sleep Apnea

Randon, I was injured in 1988

Will keep you updated as to why it's easier to stay asleep than awauke!

P.S. Just buy a Vitamin B complex, or one in particular?

Comment

My son does the same thing. He can sleep nonstop. He had the sleep study and does have sleep apnea but he refuses to use the machine, but just today I think he was saying that he probably would benefit from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X