Colostomy PROS AND CONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colostomy PROS AND CONS

What can I do to go without a pouch at all times? Im reeeeeaaaallllyyyy considering one.. I would only like to wear a ban-aid at ALL times.. I can just irrigate? Im new to this.. Will stool come out and I won't feel it? WILL I STILL KNOW WHEN I HAVE TO GO? WHO CAN I TALK TOO?
    Last edited by MADPRODUCER; 08-19-2008, 03:28 AM.

Ace???

Yeah try searching "ace" "mace" "malone procedure" on CC and Google.
    Last edited by november; 08-19-2008, 05:32 AM.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

i was also considering one after spending MORE THAN AN HOUR on the stupid toilet! I read a great thread once on the topic. I'll look for it soon.

Comment

Here's one: /forum/showthread.php?t=56732

Comment

Originally posted by MADPRODUCER
          What can I do to go without a pouch at all times? Im reeeeeaaaallllyyyy considering one.. I would only like to wear a ban-aid at ALL times.. I can just irrigate? Im new to this.. Will stool come out and I won't feel it? WILL I STILL KNOW WHEN I HAVE TO GO? WHO CAN I TALK TOO?

i am a quad c6c7 i love it freedom i can change my own pouch. it goes when it wants to. i always care supplies so i ca change it. it great

Comment

You might want to go to www.uoaa.org. This is the Ostomy Association's website and they have discussion boards that tons of people could help you with experience with irrigating and stuff like that. I have an ileostomy and can't go without a pouch, so can't help you there.

Jessie

Comment

thanks

mimin and vj.

I would like to wear a ban-aid.

jessie-gray i will check the board out.

Comment

mimin and vj.

I would like to wear a ban-aid.

jessie-gray i will check the board out.
                Which is why I suggested looking into the procedure I posted.
                No bag that I'm aware of.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

You had it done? Thought you was straight that way.. Thought you was talking about something else. Checking it. LMK if you find something!!

Comment

You had it done? Thought you was straight that way.. Thought you was talking about something else. Checking it. LMK if you find something!!
                    No I don't have it, but know others who have.
                    It's sometimes done with the mitrofanoff (bladder surgery I do have) and then it's called MACE, but can be done individually. Even Wikipedia has some info on it. Seriously just search the web.

ETA I guess it's not really popular and is usually done on children with spina bifida. Regardless this is the only thing that I've heard of like you described.
                    Last edited by november; 08-19-2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

MADPRODUCER,
                      Check out New Mobility Article on link below about making life easier with a colostomy. Hope it helps you make up your mind.

http://www.newmobility.com/articleVi...srch=Colostomy

Take Care,
                      Bob

Comment

Do blood constantly show after its healed? Also if you irrigate alot and cap it. When you poop or have to poop will the poop knock the cap off?

Comment

Only if you have a very distal (at the far end of the colon: descending or sigmoid) can you get away with irrigation as the method of management, and even then currently irrigation is discouraged as it can cause some long term problems (just as long term enema use can without a colostomy). Higher on the colon, the stool is too liquid and you must wear a bag all the time.

With an ACE or Malone you have to irrigate and then sit on the toilet to evacuate from your anus. It usually works OK, but not always. I have had two patients have this procedure done, and one went on to have a regular (bag) colostomy 5 months later as it never did prevent his frequent accidents.

If you have an irrigating type of colostomy, you can still have bowel accidents through the stoma when you have stomach upsets or if you did not irrigate well enough. The irrigation procedure usually takes 30-60 minutes. Changing a bag takes 5 minutes.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                            Only if you have a very distal (at the far end of the colon: descending or sigmoid) can you get away with irrigation as the method of management, and even then currently irrigation is discouraged as it can cause some long term problems (just as long term enema use can without a colostomy). Higher on the colon, the stool is too liquid and you must wear a bag all the time.

With an ACE or Malone you have to irrigate and then sit on the toilet to evacuate from your anus. It usually works OK, but not always. I have had two patients have this procedure done, and one went on to have a regular (bag) colostomy 5 months later as it never did prevent his frequent accidents.

If you have an irrigating type of colostomy, you can still have bowel accidents through the stoma when you have stomach upsets or if you did not irrigate well enough. The irrigation procedure usually takes 30-60 minutes. Changing a bag takes 5 minutes.

(KLD)
                            distal? anyway to prevent that blood hole? w/ an ace or malone when i irrigate do i still have to stim? or when i irrigate it pushes stool through the anus..

so it will pop the cap off if stool needs to come out?

who should i talk too type of nurse?

what would you recommend i get if i go through w/ it?

my whole goal was to be bagless when clubbing,entertainment, etc.

i have girls alwasys hopping on my lap in the club. not good w/ a bag full of bricks.

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by "blood hole". Are you refering to the stoma? Distal means further along the colon (more to the left and lower) while proximal means closer to the upper abdomen or right side. There is no way to have a colostomy without a stoma. Even an ACE has a stoma.

With the ACE you irrigate through a stoma which must go into your cecum so the stoma is on the right lower part of your abdomen. You use so much water that it liquifies your stool, so it usually just comes right out of your anus without any need to do dig stim.

You can talk to a good colorectal surgeon about your options, and should also have a session with a enterostomal therapy nurse (CWOCN) before making up your mind, but it is unlikely that you will be able to go without an appliance (bag), so if you won't consider this, staying with a traditional bowel program may be the way to go.

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X