Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you wish they had told you about in rehab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you wish they had told you about in rehab.

I keep coming across people who have suffered injuries that could have been avoided, or at least more promptly treated, with the proper education in rehab. I still feel like I got great care and education in rehab, but there are a few important things that slipped through the cracks. Here are some for me:

1. Unused bones can get brittle, really fast. I snapped my femur in two just 4 1/2 months after my injury, just doing simple stretches they taught me in rehab. I've encountered many people with similar experiences.

2. Thigh-high compression hose can cause blood clots if you wear them too long. Funny, I thought they were supposed to prevent clots. Anyway, I found this out the hard way, developing a clot that ran from below the knee up into my abdomen.

3. The syrinx. I had never even heard about this condition until I started reading CC. I haven't developed one (yet) but now I know what to look out for.

These are just a few I can think of offhand, but there are more. Please share some of your own thoughts on this, so perhaps new SCIs can hit this and get a good rundown of things they should be concerned about from day one.

Never stop stretching.

Work the opposing muscles in your shoulders to avoid strain later on.

Don't drag during transfers, always clear.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Overuse. I wish I had known and been a little more careful.
      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Thought of another one: Diets low in protein can increase your chances of getting a pressure wound.

Comment

Dont assume every doctor knows anything about treating an SCI patient just because they are a doctor.
          Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

I would definitely overemphasize the need for good pressure reliefs and a good diet. Too much of my time has been wasted to pressure sores. I would also try to make sure that people know it's not a bad thing to ask for help. You're better off asking then suffering.
            C-5/6, 7-9-2000
            Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

CareCure

Comment

Eating too much can make you fat and it's hard as hell to loose it afterwards.
                Go Georgia Bulldogs

Comment

Originally posted by mossberg531
                  Eating too much can make you fat and it's hard as hell to loose it afterwards.
                  Oh yeah, and there's that! And spasms can be your friend.
                  C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                  Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

I wish they would have emphasized strength/cardio training and a
                    high protein diet.

Comment

Mossberg I like yours, you can't eat like you use to eat. No burning calories sitting on your ass all day.

I have learned more from the CC than I ever did in rehab. I wish they would have mentioned the CC. Therepists don't always know everything.

Comment

Things you wished they had told you about in rehab

1.) I wish they had told us that virtually everything they did tell us would prove to be flat-out wrong!

2.) I wish they had told us that medical equipment companies don't know jack about medical equipment.

3.) I wish they had given us hope instead of breaking our hearts.
                        Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
                        Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
                        -- Lucy VanPelt

Comment

i wish they'd told us how full of shit they were...they AREN'T crippled, and actually DON'T know how it is going to be

Comment

1. Told us how a wheelchair should be measured for, so we didn't all get useless crap for our first chair.

2. Told me what Brown-Sequard's was. They told me I had it, not until I got to CC did they tell me what it was

3. Give me statistics. Don't sugarcoat, don't go super-neg, I have no time for your bullshit. Some people DO regain the ability to pee. Some people walk off scot-free. Some people never move another muscle below the level of injury. Tell me that, and tell me how many. Don't make me beg the techs being paid $6 an hour for nuggets of knowledge.

4. Tell me what nerve pain is. Don't leave me there secretly wondering if all my useless fingers are broken. Paralysis sometimes hurts like a mofo. Acknowledge it.

5. As someone said, spasms can be your friend. I let them try to medicate them away until I got on the computer at rehab, and found out the benefits. Yayyy for rehab libraries!

This is an excellent topic. When it's complete, we should compile it and distribute it to those rehabs.

I gotta go ditto on PeanutsLucy on giving hope vs. breaking hearts. My God, did we look like we needed to be demoralized? We were about as far down as a human can go, and ever hope to get back up. You do us no favors by bludgeoning us some more.
                            Last edited by betheny; 8 Apr 2008, 10:38 AM.
                            Blog:
                            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Don't depend on your spouse. They let him do EVERYTHING. I didn't know any better. If I went back I'd make it clear to anyone that had a spouse they need to figure most things out on their own.
                              T-5 incomplete

Comment

Working...
                              X