X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SP - Supra pubic (catheter)
    CIC - Clean Intermittent Catheterization
    NTD - Neural tube defect
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM.

Comment

FUD = Fear Uncertainty and Doubt
      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
      --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
      ––Paul Nussbaum
      usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

wc=wheelchair
        coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Comment

HHA - Home Health Aide
          MD - Masters Degree
          LOA - List of acronyms

Comment

Actually, MD stands for Medical Doctorate.

MS is Master of Science, and MA is Master of Arts

A couple of others you may not know:
            DNSc = Doctorate in Nursing Science
            DNP = Doctorate in Nursing Practice
            ND = Nursing Doctorate

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

PIA = pain in the ass
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

A Good start in the morning for me was reading all of these. I learned a lot and even had some good laughs. Thanks to all!
                http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.

Comment

abbreviations

I just hate abbreviations. Sure, it's a quick way to get something down on paper or, a computer screen but, it always leaves me wondering what it means if I am not familar with the abbreviation. A recent example of this is the use of IT. It stands for ischial tuberosity, the portion of the boney promenance that we usually sit on. Thought I would start a thread to get more meanings of these abbreviations that are used frequently. Please feel free to add to this list. We might even be able to get a glossary of terms, if one hasen't already been started.

BP= Blood pressure
                  BP= Bowel program
                  vs= vital signs
                  SCI= Spinal cord injury
                  w/c=Wheelchair
                  I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

The only abbreviations I try to avoid are STD's and DOA's. I'm glad I don't work for the FBI,CIA,DNR, or DOT agencies. Think I'll take it easy today and watch some M.L.B. on ESPN, CBS, or NBC on the 'ol T.V. Well GTG so I'll TTYL. H.A.N.D!!!!
                    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Comment

Be real. Put an ad in the misc ads in any paper for IT help and no one will show up with a hip bone.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

OB/GYN - obstretrician/gynechologist
                        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Comment

wow, an old thread brought to light again....In the past many months of doing wedding planning & such, I've learned that an age old abbreviation that means one thing to the rest of the world means something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in wedding terms....so, hey, just for good measure...

STD means Save The Date.....
                          'Chelle
                          L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

TBI - Traumatic Brain Injury

Comment

This is great, but I would have never thought to go on a site search for these definitions. I think these abbreviations and acronyms should be compiled into an alphabetical list and posted on the blue banner along with "Home", "FAQ", "Community","Calendar", "New Posts," etc. The title could be "Care Cure Dictionary", Every day there are folks new to the site and new to spinal cord injury. The injury and all of the attendant difficulties are intimidating enough. Insider jargon, abbreviations, and acronyms can create barriers to communication, understanding and education. This could be a very user friendly addition.
                              GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                                This is great, but I would have never thought to go on a site search for these definitions. I think these abbreviations and acronyms should be compiled into an alphabetical list and posted on the blue banner along with "Home", "FAQ", "Community","Calendar", "New Posts," etc. The title could be "Care Cure Dictionary", Every day there are folks new to the site and new to spinal cord injury. The injury and all of the attendant difficulties are intimidating enough. Insider jargon, abbreviations, and acronyms can create barriers to communication, understanding and education. This could be a very user friendly addition.
                                GJ
                                That is a great idea gjnl.

Comment

Working...
                                X