Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Foolish Old]
    Originally posted by kate
    Lobbying for things like CRPA are seen as--sadly--kinda liberal. (Notice the big names who showed up at our rally in DC last spring: Harkin, Clinton, Kerry, Sarandon . . . ) But paralysis does not respect pary affiliation, last time I looked./quote]

No, but again sadly, empathy, compassion and logic sometimes seem to elude our Republican friends.
    I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair and will only result in alienating Republicans.
    Last edited by Susan M; 10 Jan 2007, 11:22 AM.
    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

[quote=Susan M]
      Originally posted by Foolish Old

I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair.
      I believe it is a fair statement in regards to those Republican legislators who insist that surplus ESCs should be medical waste instead of being used to advance medicine. I also believe it is a fair statement in regard to the Republican president who used his first and only veto to hinder research aimed at alleviating suffering. I applaud those in both parties who courageously voted to advance ESCR.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M

I know lots of empathetic, compassionate, logical Republicans. I don't think many Republicans were asked to speak at last years rally. These statements are unfair and will only result in alienating Republicans.
        I know lots of them, too--many from these very forums. The world is a better place with them in it, and the last thing I'd want to do is alienate my own friends. They've also worked very hard to make the cure happen--as I said, paralysis doesn't care about your politics.

Why weren't more Republican stars asked to speak at the rally, do you know?

Comment

I remember Republicans being invited but everybody was busy campaigning. CRF tried to get them there. My husband and CLC invited the Senators from Oklahoma but no go. Sue, did you invite your guys? I think Steven invited Lindsey Graham.

I agree that there's no sense alienating Republicans on what should be a non-partisan bill with bi-partisan support. The first year we had some compassionate Republicans show up to speak. I think last year they knew they were in for a rough election cycle and didn't bother if it wasn't a campaign related event.

I really thought they missed an opportunity to look compassionate there. We're a golden photo op. They also left the door wide open for the Democrats to do some completely inappropriate politicking LOL. Our stage wasn't the place for it-but with nary an elected Republican in sight, why not?

Sometimes I wonder how it would have played out if Coburn or even Bush had attended. Would Clinton and Kerry have taken the swipes they did? If so what would the result have been? Clinton and Kerry can change a speech to fit the occasion, no doubt, I think they just seized the opportunity they saw sitting there.

Kate, I've never been able to figure out how to accomplish anything in OK. Coburn returns to his medical practice during recesses, he doesn't make appointments with constituents or hold town meetings grrrrrr. He's fought for the right to do that, so far he's gotten away with it. Short of picketing his house or medical office I don't know how you can make an impact on that guy.
          Blog:
          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Thank you, Kate. I really appreciate you saying that.

Honestly, I think what happened last year was that Dana Reeves good friends just really wanted to be there in her honor. These include Ms. Sarandon, Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Kerry. Sen. Harkin was the CRPA senate sponsor. There really wasn't room for many more. In 2005 there were Republican politicos there, but, for the life of me, I can't recall who off the top of my head. We need to also remember that one of our strongest supporters was House bill sponsor, Republican Michael Bilirakis.

Beth--I did not invite my guys as they weren't on any of the key committees influencing bill passage. On my visit to my Reps. office (Congressman John Kline), though, they had been watching the rally coverage on C-span. I commented that they should have attended and perhaps Rep. Kline could have said a few words. They said he certainly would have considered it. What's that about hindsight being 20/20?
            Last edited by Susan M; 10 Jan 2007, 11:51 AM.
            Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

I've always wanted to go to Vegas. Nashville not so much.
              _____oOo_____
              Phil C6
              "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

Well, I still like the idea of an Oklahoma photo op . . . how could the press ignore a gang of gimps taking their case right to the heart of the problem? Seems like Coburn should be confronted out in the open instead of hiding behind that anonymous hold bs.

Sorry if this is all stuff you've thought of before--I'm sure it is, actually!--but I'm still mad at the way that happened.

Plus, I've never been to Oklahoma. Does the wind really come sweeping down the plains?

Comment

If you're really going to do 2 rallies a year then 1 east and 1 west makes sense to me. (Being in the west of course.) Vegas is cheap, accessible and has plenty of rooms. But I don't see a lot of politicians showing up for the rally in Vegas. May SF? California's stance on SCR would be a good reason to go.
                  My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jenlongdon
                    If you're really going to do 2 rallies a year then 1 east and 1 west makes sense to me. (Being in the west of course.) Vegas is cheap, accessible and has plenty of rooms. But I don't see a lot of politicians showing up for the rally in Vegas. May SF? California's stance on SCR would be a good reason to go.
                    Vegas is cheap, SF isn't. Still, I see your reasoning. I'd go Rally in SF.

;-)
                    Daniel

Comment

no matter where the location, is anyone currently planning (or considering planning) another rally for '07? It's not quite as simple as picking a time/place & telling ppl to show up.

just asking..

Comment

Oklahoma rally sounds good to me

maybe we could have an old fashion hay rack ride, load some hay several cases of eggs & about 40 people from cc on my truck, park in coburns front yard & unload the eggs on his house.

Comment

As much as I'd love for the rally to be in SF [heck you all could stay with me ] the politicians whose minds we need to chnge are in DC. But if we have two..
                          Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by CLC379
                            Oklahoma rally sounds good to me

maybe we could have an old fashion hay rack ride, load some hay several cases of eggs & about 40 people from cc on my truck, park in coburns front yard & unload the eggs on his house.
                            Carl, my man! Aside from you and Beth and Coburn living there, is Oklahoma friendly to chairs?

Comment

Oklahoma has big heavy doors, I think because of the wind. Other than that it's okay chair-wise. I don't find it to be real friendly to "cure" though. I was thinking about a sit-in. I can guarantee myself, and Carl. Maybe 2 other people. And that's all.
                              Blog:
                              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Count us in. We have a service dog and he can PULL the manual chair so we could travel! OK is ok by me. We are very good at sitting. Welllll, not small boy, but he makes an adorable media moment sitting on chad's lap!?!?!
                                Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Working...
                                X