Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polls and Popularity Ratings of Topics, Registrations

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Note that there may be slight discrepancies in the page view counts. I believe that the ones from the CareCure report represent actual pageviews while the ones cited in the statistics above include pageviews and emails. By the way, Thursday 1/15/04 number of 487 postings again broke the record. Wise.

Wise,

Remeber "Dead Souls", Great book of Nicolai Gogol?

I just caught one red handed affter New Year!

His/Her name is Cruiservoxx... link

This person still has only one post [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Apparantly some members create second/third identities just to push their agenda upon others...

So your "statistics" may not be acurate, as you think......[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Max, the most recent time that I looked, only about 2% of our registered members have duplicate emails. Wise.

Comment

Max, the most recent time that I looked, only about 2% of our registered members have duplicate emails. Wise.
      Wise,

I can easily obtain dozen free email adresses, asume dozen identities.....& create chaos on carecure....manipulating opinions & polls...

Want to experiment? [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Also wonder if administrators/moderators can see ip from which post, voting in poll made, rating under article made?..Is poll vote one per ip/computer or one per members identity?

If I'll have time-I'll probably experiment...
      Don't worry no subversive sabotage will be involved [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
      I could do something like that long time ago[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] with couple Russian hackers, my pals [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Jeff,

I think we need your help?

This is one of vulnorabilities of this website...

I just can see through "phonies"-I think I've explained logically in that post about acid....

[This message was edited by Max on 01-16-04 at 03:30 PM.]

Comment

Quote from Max: "Also wonder if administrators/moderators can see ip from which post, voting in poll made, rating under article made?..Is poll vote one per ip/computer or one per members identity?"

Max - LOL, You're giving the moderators way too much credit for being that computer savvy! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Max, I would appreciate it if you do not experiment. I can assure you that only registered members can vote on the polls and each registered member can vote only once. I doubt very much that anybody is doing what you are suggesting. I sincerely hope that nobody would manipulate the site in that fashion. Wise.

Comment

Max, I would appreciate it if you do not experiment. I can assure you that only registered members can vote on the polls and each registered member can vote only once. I doubt very much that anybody is doing what you are suggesting. I sincerely hope that nobody would manipulate the site in that fashion. Wise.
            Okay, Wise
            Sure I would never do it.

Just noticed that after some scermishes with some certain members in past couple month here someone is putting bad ratings -no matter what I post...
            Its so childishly vindictive[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't come here to kiss anybodys butt-just to share relevant info for others & to see latest developments for myself......

It was my concern & if you see logic behind my post in the link about Acid posts- you'll realize that this things unfortunately possible....

[This message was edited by Max on 01-16-04 at 06:49 PM.]

Comment

Max - A computer-savvy guy once told me that he needed separate computers to vote more than once on InfoPop polls. He said two identities on the same computer was not enough for him to be able to vote more than once. I don't know for sure.

AFA mods knowing who voted on what...that is impossible. The information just isn't stored anywhere. Cookies on users' computers prevent them from voting more than once but do not store what our votes are. Not even InfoPop people can determine who voted for what.

The same goes for ratings on articles. And I agree that people are childish with their ratings. I often marvel when someone rates a highly relevant article about Chris Reeve with one star. They are so petty it is almost funny. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
              ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Polls and Popularity Ratings of Topics, Registrations

Recently, a question has come up regarding how the site records and handles votes on polls and also the ratings (1 to 5 checks) of topics. For polls, it is clear. The site allows a registered member to vote only once on a poll. However, I think that the site allows a member to rate a topic many times.

Max has suggested that it is possible for people to register under different names and vote many times on polls and also on the ratings. This is true. While this site requires a valid email address for a person to register, it does not require a unique email address. The reason for this is because we want to encourage multiple family members who may have only one email address to register. If we required a unique email address per member registration, this may result in people sharing registrations. In fact, this happens on occasions when one or more members of a family would share the same registration and it is not clear who is posting what. We would like individuals to register separately to reduce this confusion.

The check ratings of the topics is just a service provided by the site to allow members to express their opinions. It is inappropriate for people to manipulate the system, such as rating a topic multiple times to express your pleasure or displeasure. If a person felt that way, a better solution is to post a message expressing your opinion.

To tell you the truth, I personally don't find the check ratings all the useful. There are some wonderful topics that are given low ratings while some dismal topics are often given high ratings. If there is evidence that people are manipulating the check ratings, one option that we have is to turn off that service.

I am reluctant to turn off the rating service because we are now getting as many as 500 posts per day on this site and the volume is increasing. Soon, there will be no way that any individual can read all the postings on the site. So, the more ways that we give members to attract attention to postings, the better.

In my opinion, the best way to get attention and responses to your topic is to write better headlines.

Wise.

Comment

Working...
                X