Power failure: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power failure: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2021

Sorry folks. We had a power failure from 5:27pm to 9:43pm tonight due to some local storms in the northern virginia area. We have battery backups, but they don't last 4 hours. Everything's back. I don't think there was anything lost or broken as a result. Anyone who was in the middle of typing a post at that time probably lost it. But otherwise, I think it's fine. Let me know if you see anything funky.

Originally posted by OldGrumpyDad View Post
    Sorry folks. We had a power failure from 5:27pm to 9:43pm tonight due to some local storms in the northern virginia area. We have battery backups, but they don't last 4 hours. Everything's back. I don't think there was anything lost or broken as a result. Anyone who was in the middle of typing a post at that time probably lost it. But otherwise, I think it's fine. Let me know if you see anything funky.
    say i have a solar powered generator 1000 watts its awesome for compotor phones and internet will last 10 hrs. then plug it in when power back or when hurricanne its has solar panel

Comment

And we had ANOTHER outage today. There were a lot of outages in this area. The explanation this time was "Broken Pole". But we also had storms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-11 at 17.41.41.png
Views:	66
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2912125

Comment

Well, it's Friday the 13th AND we have thunderstorms. If I was a bettin' man I'd be betting on another major power outage...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 16.59.03.png
Views:	47
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	2912173

Comment

Is any consideration being given to moving to a server farm that has power back-up?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we don't generally consider options that cost money. That one costs more than a little bit of money.
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I can live with some disruption. We are all used to it in our lives, anyway.

Comment

For the moment, we do what we do because it's totally free. I don't pay hosting costs, and the server box that I'm donating is one I'd have anyways. I don't charge anybody anything because I don't pay anything. We can buy better battery backups, or we can pay monthly for private servers. It would be hard to get equivalent hardware for less than $30/month. I'm open to the discussion, I just don't know who would pay for it. And why pay if you don't have to?

Comment

I noticed the downtime, but was not alarmed by it and everything seems to be humming along fine now, with nothing lost that I can see.
                  MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Working...
                  X