CareCure site speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CareCure site speed

I really can't take clicking on something and waiting minutes for the screen to change. It is most discouraging.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I just migrated to a new PC desktop which when only Microsoft Edge, Outlook and Dragon were all running, I was only at 37% usage of memory.

I have to agree with this, while it doesn't take me minutes to get a page, I would expect a second or two as on any other forum, the forum I mod on is pretty well instant, carecure is rather slow. as in 20-30 seconds per click before the expected page appears.
    Just for reference I use Firefox.

Comment

I wonder if we lose potential members. It can be frustrating due to the slow time to load posts. It's a wonderful site otherwise.

Comment

I agree, it's slow...but until recently, it was glacial! People have been able to improve it greatly.
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

I feel like it actually moves pretty fast. If it was 1992

It is ridiculously slow. Believe me it has nothing to do with your computer.

I think it is intentional though. They're trying to match the speed of the website to the speed of sci research

Comment

There's a lot to "speed" on the site. On the one hand, I'm doing a lot of caching and other tricks trying to optimise. On the other hand, the second-hand on your watch will tell you how long the pages take to load. Can't argue with that.

We are going to migrate to better hardware soon. That's one positive step. Oddity and I will run some database optimisations too. Just to try to improve.

We make an opinionated choice in running this site that basically boils down to every message is precious. We keep absolutely everything that's ever been posted. There are literally millions of posts, so we do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff to try keep the current stuff fast while keeping the old stuff available.

You're not wrong that it's slow. We'll name a day and migrate to the faster hardware. I actually bought and installed the hardware a few months ago, but it had a hardware defect that was making it really unreliable. Now that I've got the hardware fixed, it's ready for prime time. Watch for an announcement. We try to give people notice.

Comment

Perhaps a Xenforo migration could be called for too? vBulletin really is antiquated, it feels like forum software from 2005.

If you would like to switch, message me I have some experience switching away from vBulletin.
              Last edited by NathanAU; 19 Apr 2021, 3:48 AM.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                As a new member, you should spend some time learning the history of this forum. Our VOLUNTEER administrators/webmasters have put in a lot of effort, and past requirements to move the forum off the Rutger's University servers as required by the university, and health problems of our previous webmasters have been formidable challenges to overcome, as well as lack of funds available from the Keck Center for major overhauls, software packages, and hardware. The website you talk about moderating was formed by people who left this forum years ago, and not under positive circumstances as well. (KLD)

• OldGrumpyDad
                OldGrumpyDad commented
                Editing a comment
                He was helpful. It wasn't mean-spirited at all. I certainly didn't take it that way. We're having a positive conversation privately about the technical side of it. I'm sensitive to whatever politics may be at play here, but "this software runs faster" isn't really a controversial statement. I'm not gonna say anything about who did what and why, but I'm definitely interested in things that run faster and give our users a better experience.

• NathanAU
                NathanAU commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm actually aware of the history, but I'm entirely uninterested in the politics of what happened way back when and between whom, that's ancient history. I simply migrated there when it became apparant aparalyzed would close.
                I've read this forum a lot over the years, but for one reasons or another just never joined.

In regards to the software I suggested if they can't afford it I don't mind paying for it to see the place move into the future. No strings. Other than a commitment to switch if I do pay. I am not looking to be a mod or admin or whatever else.

I appreciate what you mods have done. Using public wifi with a vpn running on win10 and edge, pages are loading between 5 and 10 seconds.
              "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
              T5/6 complete

Comment

I spent the past couple days keeping a spreadsheet, of various times during the day, clicking around randomly, 100 times, navigating posts and forums and stuff. Using Web Inspector in the Develop menu in Safari I tracked the Loading and Rendering times. The ~600 click average was 2.8 seconds to "usable" presentation (readable/scrollable) and 4.1 seconds until all the assets and behind the scenes stuff was done (invisible usually.) The fast outlier was sub second and the slowest outlier was 17 seconds. I'm on a decent (100mbps) connection and geographically collated with the server itself (same State), although that shouldn't matter so much, with the distributed caching going on

That's not glacial, but not super snappy either. There were plenty of 10-12 second page transitions, especially between 10-15 after hour when some necessary (as in it'd run slower without them) batch maintenance jobs run.

Its also really slower than it should be writing new data (posts) and doing some Moderator actions.

There is room at the database level left to improve, I'm sure, and once we move to the new (faster) hardware environment, that OldGrumpyDad donated to the cause, we should see inherent improvements too.

Fingers crossed.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

This page before it was usable for myself took >40 seconds. Certainly less than snappy.

Comment

I understand, but anecdotes are not terribly helpful, or meaningful. We need data to be productive on this. Preferably member data from this site, or another site with ~2,000,000 posts, ~20,000 users and 250-300 daily active users (who are mostly using the search function anonymously - and some search index bots.)

For anyone interested in being helpful, or in providing meaningful feedback for the volunteers running the site, if you could run the site inspector tool on your browser and post a screenshot of the load time tab (called Timeline in Safari > Develop > Show Web Inspector menu, but exists in all of them in some form, e.g Tools > Web Developer > Inspector from the Menu Bar in Firefox, then Performance and Network tabs), then that would be very helpful to us.

You can see the output of my browser's Web Inspector for loading this page below. It allows us to see what aspects of loading the page take precisely what amounts of time.

That could really help us validate, and narrow down the causes, of what some of you are experiencing. You can see below my experience is very different, so I could really use more data from folks experiencing regular high latency. Web Inspector data would be a great start.

Click image for larger version  Name:	343AAB9D-05A0-4870-863E-DFC33ABDC4A3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	159.9 KB ID:	2908791
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

• Oddity
                      Oddity commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If anyone with issues is interested and capable of doing this, a full screen screen shot of the expanded Inspector load time/performance tab would be great, to expand as much of the visible area of data for me as possible. Cheers and thanks.

In case you're interested in seeing what takes so long, here's how we do it. Every browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) has "developer tools". This is a fascinating way to see what's under the hood of web sites that you use. You can find it under View -> Developer -> Developer Tools on Chrome and in a similar place in the others.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 08.29.28.png
Views:	133
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2908794

When you've got the developer tools up, select the word 'Network' and to get the network view. It's fascinating to see all the requests that go from your browser to the web site and to all the other places. (We don't do ads, but other sites do. It's amazing to see how much random crap your browser connects to that has nothing to do with the web site, and only has to do with tracking you and showing you ads) You'll get this lovely timeline chart. I highlighted a couple things. We talk about "TTFB" which is "time to first byte". How long after your browser says "please give me the page" until the first byte of the response comes back? Here's one I did earlier. I highlighted the fact that the first byte came back in 795ms and the whole page was loaded in 1.2 seconds. "But Grumpy, we're seeing huge long loads, way more than 1.2s!" Yes you are. While writing this post, I had one where it was 12 full seconds waiting for the first byte. I just didn't get a screen shot of that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 08.38.22.png
Views:	100
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	2908795
                    Anyways, this is all just a super technical and geeky way to say "yep, it's slow." I think we're just gonna have to bite the bullet and do a big fat upgrade.

Comment

I dont know much about tech at all, what I do notice is my computer is slow, I am slow, I am used to slow. My Son has experience in tech. He gets very impatient with the tortoise speed of my gear and expects instant result, partly because he has fast gear and partly because he is of the generation with the short term attention span and its consequent expectation of 'instant'.
                      What I really do appreciate about this site is the knowledge and community it affords but probably more so the lack of trackers I see in my Ublock. It is a rare thing to note while using this web thing.
                      Thanks to those working in front and behind the scenes to enable this forum to function.

Comment

I've noticed a spike in the amount of database errors occurring during the day, over the last week, or so. Something is going on and we're looking at it. Aiming to migrate to better hardware in the very near future. It's ready to go, and has been running stable in parallel, since OldGrumpyDad got it setup and running at the end of last year, so we're confident it's a good idea. If any of the periodic slow down issues are related to hardware this will help. If they're not, then we'll keep on digging.
                        Last edited by Oddity; 23 Apr 2021, 6:09 PM.

Comment

ughhhh tech has become so messy. I have not committed to one single thing for the last 5 years. Since sci. But this sounds like something I could do...collect data. Using Edge browser can you give the steps needed to generate useful data? How do you want it recorded (screen shot?) and forwarded via post here?

This sounds like a real world problem that could help me understand my own browsing habits and settings which I've taken for granted for to long. I'd really dig it if the process was open so everyone can learn more about security, and networking, but I realize working with groups of users can be a can of worms. Maybe the end result would be a sticky of best practices.
                          "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                          T5/6 complete

Comment

Working...
                          X